• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash-based Family Planning Outreach

Hello Dash Community,
I'm a huge fan of dash and fairly early investor. Due to the surplus of income I have now (thanks Dash), I am now able to work towards one of my passions: Family planning outreach in poor countries.

I was impressed with Amanda B's Dash outreach program, incentivizing the adoption of dash through giveaways earned by installing the Dash wallet and tweeting a photo. We in the Dash community understand incentives can be very powerful, and harnessing that power to do good in the world has the potential to make things better quickly.

I am currently living in a country with low levels of education, high teen pregnancy rates, and low contraception adoption rates. The government makes birth control freely and widely available at all of it's clinics, yet there is still a gap between availability and adoption. There is a wide range of reasons for this, from simple lack of awareness, to active discouragement from religious leaders and husbands/boyfriends, etc.

I would like to begin an outreach program where each young woman who goes to a clinic and receives a LARC (Long-Acting Reversible Contraception), such as an IUD or an arm implant, gets a reward in Dash. The prerequisite of having a smartphone is not an issue here, nearly everyone has one.

Once a woman is aware she can earn a non-insignificant amount of money doing something that will benefit her, she will quickly get on board and tell her friends. Perhaps that she can earn money to do so will soften the resistance of their husbands/boyfriends and begin to change the culture as well.

The difficult part of this program, is the managing the potential for fraud and corruption. There are a few problems to be solved:

1. I must develop a way to ensure that those who say they have received a LARC really have. This will be rather difficult without involving the clinic, perhaps even the doctor. I will refer to this as Proof of Completion (PoC). If we conclude that we need some sort of completed, unforgeable paperwork from the doctor, we must also ensure we are preventing collusion for kickbacks.

2. I must prevent multiple claims from the same person, by providing some 'Proof of Uniqueness' (PoU). Ensuring the reward is low enough to encourage adoption, but not so high as to encourage repeats should take care of that, and may require that we periodically adjust the reward until we find the right balance. In this area, I'm thinking about 50usd to start with. Perhaps the upcoming release of Evolution can also help us here.

3. Conflicting with the above requirements for verification of completion and verification of uniqueness, we must protect the identity of the recipients, lest they be punished.

4. I am clearly a foreigner here. I will be playing a direct, active part in challenging the status-quo in a taboo subject in a conservative culture. This is a potentially dangerous position for me to be in. Beyond that, my presence and appearance may raise suspicions on my intentions. So, I must remain anonymous and have everything done through local proxies. Perhaps a reliable protocol can be developed in which there are no local proxies at all, and we can work through social media and the blockchain.

5. This is my first time attempting something like this, and while I'm something of a jack-of-all-trades, I'm a master of none and I will need to learn as I go.

These are very hard nuts to crack. I believe the Dash community is of the caliber to help me solve these issues, as I am certain we are of an older, more mature demographic, with a wide range of experience and strengths, including a solid grasp of economics and again, the all-important, well-placed incentives.

At first, while money will surely be wasted as the program gets going and I correct my mistakes, I will be funding this personally. Later, as it gains traction and we are able to make things as reliable and transparent as possible, I hope to reach out to others for financial support.

To be clear, this is not a pre-proposal, and I have no intention of ever requesting treasury funds for this program.

If this program resonates with anyone else, please consider this an open-source effort, to be replicated anywhere and everywhere. Much can be learned by our combined efforts.

Thank you for your time.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

FamilyPlanningOutreach

PS, I may be offline for the next couple of weeks due to circumstances beyond my control, but I wanted to get this up and allow the conversation to get started. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Back