Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Contacted by FBI

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by fernando, Jul 8, 2017.

1. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Moderator

A few weeks ago we have been contacted by the Virtual Currency Team at the NCIJTF, a task force of federal agencies led by the FBI. They said they routinely contact industry experts and actors to keep their knowledge up to date, wanted to know more about Dash and arrange a meeting. We have exchanged a few emails to learn more about their intentions and, after a lot of consideration, we have decided not to meet with them.

We understand that law enforcement has a very important role in society and the Dash Core team is committed to always respect the law anywhere it operates. In this case, it looks like they only want education and a contact point for future reference. That by itself is not necessarily bad, but we don't want to create a dynamic that could lead to uncomfortable situations for anyone in the project. Besides that, the only information that anyone in the team has is what is publicly available in the blockchain or our site. Anyone with a computer can provide as much information as the team, so there is no point in meeting. We have made that clear to them.

Dash is completely legal and that has always been the opinion of all lawyers we have consulted about it since the beginning of the project. Being contacted by authorities is only natural when a project reaches the size and notoriety that Dash has. We are sharing this information because we are committed to transparency with the community, not because there is any problem. However, if someone has any doubt or is contacted by law enforcement about Dash, please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you desire so. Obviously, if it is an urgent or grave matter, contact an attorney in your jurisdiction first.

In the next few days we will create a few pages in the website where we explain how there is no point for law enforcement to ask for information because there is no information that we can share.

• Informative x 24
    • Like x 22
    • Winner x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • Friendly x 1
  2. AnarchicCluster

AnarchicCluster Active Member

Dash Address:
    XgJkzjmW1onXH8EsaaZakN1GswjjnAYhUE
    Good call. I am glad you didn't meet with them. It would cause unnecesary suspicons among the community.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  3. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

tx for "handling" the case (before the case handles us)
    i know we are in best hands with fernando leading this

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Schnuppdog

Schnuppdog Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Dash Address:
    TIROL
    ty for sharing ths this is a nice importent info

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. cryptocash

cryptocash New Member

Good call. Thanks.

6. ottokoester

ottokoester New Member

Crazy.
    Sometimes, I think that I'm not a complete human and there is a (bio)nano-chip inside of my body trying to stop my faith...

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

8. ottokoester

ottokoester New Member

Hi Fernando,
    Sorry, it was not my intention. When I saw your post, the first thing that it comes into my mind, it was a scene of Matrix Movie.
    I would like to say, with another words, that our society is really something like a Matrix Movie or something like that...
    I don't know how it will be in the future, but it seems exactly these Sci-Fi movies.

9. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

Ah, ok! yeah, sometimes it is scary how much presence the state has in everyday life. That is the great thing of cryptocurrencies, we are taking back money to the individual.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Friend

Friend New Member

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

yes we talked about this multi times back in the day
    but deceived against it exactly for "events" like these
    it is easier and more transparent to post updates and such as we do here than just take that can marie up or down - if that can marie would just go down the conspiracy theories would take off and there is no need for that kind of madness as the situation is well under controll
    +
    now
    as we have been contacted we could not put the can cannarie up anyway :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    XnpT2YQaYpyh7F9twM6EtDMn1TCDCEEgNX
    I think its time to implement a proof of individuality in dash.

The community should know how many masternodes the FBI owns by tracking the voting behavior of the individuals.

Everybody should be able to analyze the voting behavior of the individuals and discover which and how many individuals are affiliated with FBI and how many masternodes they control.

For example:
    if we put the below into a vote...
    ...and if at the same time we also have a proof of idividuality scheme implemented in dash, then we could see how many individuals are affiliated with FBI. Because all the FBI affiliated individuals (together with a bunch of FBI lovers) will obviously vote NO in the above proposal.

Is my logic correct, @tungfa?
    And you, @camosoul. what do you think about it?

#12 demo, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    This is not accurate.
    They may want the IP addresses of the people who talk here.
    This information is not publicly available.

My campaign ....

[​IMG]
    ....was created 5 july and last edited 7 July, and you posted about their try to contact you at 8 july.

I am afraid they are searching me! :p

#13 demo, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Friend

Friend New Member

If you can post about the contact, you don't need to use the canary in the first place.
    Canary is used when you were threatened and ordered, to stay silence about something i.e. contact by FBI.
    There are different things you can communicate by the canary, not just simple contact.
    For example:
    0. I haven't been asked by 3-letter agency, to reveal "the IP addresses of the people who talk here".
    1. I haven't been asked by 3-letter agency, to reveal, core's team, sensitive data.
    2. I haven't been asked by 3-letter agency, to compromise DASH wallet software, with a backdoor.
    3. I haven't been asked by 3-letter agency, to stay silence, about their contact with me.
    4. I haven't been asked by 3-letter agency ,to compromise dash network, security.
    5. I haven't been asked by 3-letter agency ,to abandon development of some dash network functionality
    ..and so on.
    Was it publicly discussed?

I'm curious:
    Do you have many people in Core Team from the IT security, field?
    Do you have dedicated security policies in cases of government pressures to i.e. weaken privacy?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

we have professional lawyers on board and if in need they double check with online privacy groups and other professionals
    as u posted that canary carries a lot of options (from backdoor to just an email option) , that is why it is very easy to overthink that canary being posted or being removed. (removing without a comment would put you right away in the "backdoor box")
    our canary would be gone anyway already as we were contacted
    so case closed tbh

16. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

@Friend is right that canaries are for situation in which you are legally forbidden to inform that you have been contacted. Those cases are relatively rare and are only admissible under certain supposedly strict circumstances (not the case, they use terrorism for everything). That is no the case in this situation and proof of that is that we are openly talking about it.

As for the need of a canary warrant in the site, I'm not sure. Even if you have one, nothing forces you to remove it when someone comes asking. You could help those with the warrant and not remove the canary, so in the end it is all down to trust in the people who could receive those information request. The real defense against 3 letter agencies is the fact that we can't provide any information on the protocol that is not public already, so there is no point in serving us crazy requests. That is the power of trustless setups and open source combined. It doesn't matter how much they shout, nobody in the team can track funds or identify anyone better than anyone outside the team. We don't need policies to protect information because we don't have it.

Finally, as for people with infosec profile, there are some with some experience in the field. And more importantly, we have worked closely with organizations in the space. For this case and in the past. I can't provide details to avoid waiving the attorney client privilege, but know that we take this seriously.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    If this is true, then why the maximum number of masternodes remains 10000? Why dont you increase that number, and reduce the masternode's 1000 dash collateral? The more masternodes you have, the more safe the network is. Why you enforced IPv4 addresses for all the DASH masternodes? PIVX supports the Tor network, so it seems to me that the reason you enforced IPv4 was not a technical one.

You have already provided the most valuable information. 10000 servers maximum, and their IPs static and known to everyone. If someone buys enough servers (and some organizations have a lot of money!) then everything is under their control. Of course you are right when saying that you cannot provide any information on the protocol that is not public already, but on the other hand you are wrong because you designed a protocol that can be easily compromised and exposed.

Finally, in order to expose the way they vote those who own the majority of the masternodes , so that everyone could clearly understand where they come from, why dont you organize a proof of individuality event, like this one?

#17 demo, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    • Trolling Trolling x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. mikaelarosa

mikaelarosa New Member

Thanks for the info

19. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    And this is my last question to you, @fernando.
    Can you tell us the exact day this team contacted you?
    Does the day match with @amanda_b_johnson 's hiatus?

You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions.
    Anything you say may be used against you in the eternal court of law.

#19 demo, Jul 29, 2017
    • Trolling Trolling x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

nonsense
    this has nothing to do with each other
    u can stop trolling now and fishing for more nonsense

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    How do you know it is unrelated?
    Only amanda and fernando can confirm that, and only if this is allowed to them.

It is a conspiracy theory that matches. The 3 letters agency stopped the universal dividend of amanda.

If not, then why nobody in Dash continues amanda's job?

demo
    This message by demo has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Trolling Trolling x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  22. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

because i know when amanda left and when that email landed !

23. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    Maybe they contacted amanda first.
    And my main question remains unanswered.
    If nobody contacted amanda, then why nobody in Dash continues amanda's (obviously succesfull) job regarding #firstdashwallet?
    Where is @TaoOfSatoshi and why he stopped mining his goldmine?
    Why he focuses only in Venezuela?

#23 demo, Jul 29, 2017
    demo
    This message by demo has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Trolling Trolling x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  24. johnnydash

johnnydash New Member

Hey Folks,
    The Feds, I can tell you all about them. If they wanted a sitdown thats them being nice. Either they are after someone ( maybe here or elsewhere ) or some form of intel. I can say this what ever they are after they will get it someway. ( byway of electronic communications or other ). They have the means and the money, hell they are in the top ten bitcoin billionaires club. They will pay millions to aka hackers to get what they want.
    I don't mind speaking up on any of this as we the feds and myself have have a shakie relationship for hell maybe over 20 years now. (very long story)
    and no i'm not an advocate of/for/sideways/byways/sideways insideout or any other words you can think of for the Feds.
    I do know in 05 they went around the world on a scare campaign to censor the internet. And they won.
    I would be interested in what they wanted. But thats just me. I worked for the government for 18 years mostly overseas. I have worked with the feds in cross training and a few other things. My latest head-butt with them, was i pulled a "trinity" the heat came down and lasted for a few years. So yeah we are living in a matrix.
    If your not up to anything shadie then you have nothing to worrie about. (unless your a rat) (I see no rat here.)
    The problem as i se it, the old school powers that be are frightened by the new generation. We are making millionaires and billionaires over night. ( sort of speak ). and they just can not wrap their heads around it.
    One day they will figure it out, but today no.
    So lets mine , trade, buy, sell and push our new world forward.
    Thats my soapbox shout-out stepping down now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. camosoul

camosoul Well-known Member

I don't sleep with my rifle because I'm paranoid and afraid, as the self-aggrandizing overlords like to imagine.

I sleep with my rifle because I would never forgive myself if I missed the opportunity...

...I have enough guilt for letting them live as it is.

#25 camosoul, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  26. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    I told you what they wanted. They were curious of what happened and @amanda_b_johnson started giving money as universal dividend. It is something they have not any plan on how to control it, especially in case a form of proof of individuality is established.
    They may have much money, but if the people lose the faith in that money and they believe in another form of money, then they are lost.

#26 demo, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Trolling Trolling x 1
  27. demo

demo Active Member

Dash Address:
    You cannot win with your rifle. You can win with your faith.

#27 demo, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Trolling Trolling x 3
  28. camosoul

camosoul Well-known Member

The objective is not to "win," per se... But to assure the price of the contest itself is so high as to not be worth paying.

Think of it as the persecuted citizen's version of Punishment by Process.

Much like DASH is the Citizen's version of 4th Amendment Enforcement.

"Their" plan is to provide a fate worse than death, so, why not?

ATFOTRAF

All you have to do, is be able to kill more of them than pushing their BS could be worth.

I have faith in my rifle, and my skills, to accomplish this with flying colors.

I crave it... I can't think of anything I want more.

Which is unproductive and unhealthy.

Which is why I'm renouncing my citizenship.

The Bill of Rights is dead. We the People killed it. I'm not fighting that fight for the benefit of a bunch of ingrate savages anymore.

#28 camosoul, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  29. chandu141

chandu141 New Member

That's really good decision you took, good job on saving and maintaining the Dash Program.
    Yes, Anyone can visit the website and research from available resources to know about Dash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. John Cordos

John Cordos New Member

Good to know we have a strong community

• Like Like x 2