• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

[CLOSED] 2000 DRK stolen from masternode wallet

Should security be left up to the individual or the system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/DRKCoin/comments/2u3f4x/they_left_me_with_84629_darkcoins/

A hacker/virus stole TWO masternodes worth of darkcoin from this guy, and we're looking for any help you folks can offer.

I'm not the person who got hacked, but I'm concerned as can be and would love if some of the more gifted could help us find out exactly how this hack occurred.

tumblr_inline_n04kercWFo1qz818y.png

The whole downloaded the wallet from darkcoin.io and having a virus in it (comment section) is bullshit. Might have been flagged but that's the official source. He doesn't give any details on how he setup his masternode other than following Tao's guide. Unfortunately, being sloppy with your wallet.dat file or passphrase (be it malware, logger, etc or too simplistic in nature) is a great way to get your balance lifted.

Further, he hasn't posted the masternode address in question other than a secondary wallet claimed to have been setup on his father's computer. Yet all the inputs coming into that wallet look to be darksent because they are denominated.

I wonder if he denominated his masternode by mistake and his coins are in new addresses, denominated.

And even further, why would the theft even leave him any coins... just take the full balance. It seems far more likely he denominated his funds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just refreshed and saw some more information:

Looks like the coins are here:
XqiytUo57zVcUg8iPBp6ZZtFpASv2kXXsC (conveniently a 1k vin; another masternode setup in the future)
Xn8DHiV8Yc3Dpgo214BnW5XQEfqB8g5oj2 (look at how old this wallet address is... back to at least March 2014; a theft would most likely be generating a fresh address)
XhB1tsgXAyfi9Ny7aRXqTR15ycsMnMn6zA

His story states he bought at $.88/coin roughly a year ago... was about that price around when that second address was generated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a lot more information from the OP we cannot really investigate this properly.. There are so many possible reasons why the coins have 'disappeared' and that's before we even start considering 'foul play' scenarios such as a hack. First thing to do is eliminate all of the non-hack possibilities and take it from there... you should post this forum post link on the reddit page and ask the OP to come here for help. Only then can we really get to the bottom of it...

Hope this helps.

Walter

The whole downloaded the wallet from darkcoin.io and having a virus in it (comment section) is bullshit.

Just in case someone reads this and fears the official download location darkcoin.io could have a virus/trojan/you_name_it:

1. I check each official download with a virus checker (Win only) and, more important
  2. I check each official download against my own builds (Linux, Win and OSX) , and if only one single bit would be different I'd raise an alarm. A loud one!

Gonna close this. Go to reddit if you want to talk to this troll.

Always check signatures and checksums. They are all available on our homepage. Learn how to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back