Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Change "Anonymous" for "Private" .....>

Discussion in 'Dash Core Team' started by tungfa, Oct 5, 2014.

1. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

I think it is time to change

"Anonymous Digital Currency"

to something like, (totally open for discussions)

"Private Digital Currency"

DRK is approaching investor and markets with a clean businesses lock and talk,
    the new webpage, Foundation,.....
    we should project that in our slogan too !!

"Anonymous" will always have a negative thought (Anonymous, hacking, illegal, drugs ....)
    "Privacy" is clean and happy (ehhhh happy corporates)

I think we have to change all logos, all talk, no more Anonymous, we are private now !!
    Clean , Legit and open for Business !

EDIT:
    I think we have to change all logos, no more Anonymous, we are private now !!
    Clean , Legit and open for Business !

We want to distance ourself from Anonymous , find another slogan which projects more positive,
    clean, finances, ..... !

The most dangerous man is the guy wearing the tie !
    (i am ready to put mine on)
    [​IMG]

#1 tungfa, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  2. darkmonk

darkmonk New Member

Considering I have dreadlocks, it will be funny when we have a package for me to present to local retailers because ...

I will don the tie. And it shall be DREADFUL!

Gwahahaha

Okay, in all seriousness language is a huge thing with psychology and branding and the difference between private and anonymous is profound. I second the "Private digital currency" notion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. raze

raze King of the Morlocks
    Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator

Dash Address:
    Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW
    What we really need is a professional marketing firm. Not just for the slogan, but to provide a clear and unified image for the brand as a whole and with the expertise to appeal the widest audience. If we want to attract the attention of VCs, large investors, and even the general public, we're going to have to. Amateur community volunteers just aren't going to cut it.

4. darkmonk

darkmonk New Member

I know a guy who does branding. He's expensive - at least 4k to get everything redone.

The reality is though, is that it's only CLOSE to a finished product - not quite there yet. Darksend has to work flawlessly, InstantX has to be implemented, and there has to be wallets for both Android and iOS. Once all that's done, I'm happy to call the dude I know that does this and see what he'd charge to help the community out because I know then he'd be interested. Anything before that and his advice will be "make do with free".

5. Red-Shinobi

Red-Shinobi Member

If you really want that youre going to have to change the name of the coin, theres no getting around it with colors or slogans.

Id rather see the coin embrace darkness and provide "consumer protection".

We'd be bullshitting with anything else.

#5 Red-Shinobi, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. elgringo

elgringo Member

Red-Shinobi
    I like the darkcoin name and anonymity
    But names like privatecoin/ privacycoin would be more accepted by the public.
    The whole point of this coin isnt to offer darkness but to offer privacy, security and freedom.
    All values can be related to darkness but aren't dark per se.
    So it does make sense that at least our marketing goes towards that direction
    tungfa
    I like the private digital currency slogan and the way you are thinking I would go that direction too.
    Just dont forget you dont want to alienate the die-hard crypto people who are our core supporters atm.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

this is NOT about rebranding !
    i like Darkcoin and we should totally stick to it !

i am talking about changing 1 word in the slogan and that is all ! this can be changed super easy for all the logos and done !

we are not shadowcoin or torcoin or whatever who is aiming for the darkmarkets , that is the message i am getting from The Foundation !
    are we taking bounties to be on the dark markets ? NO
    are we Darkwallet , (Mr Taaki) living in a Squad, pushing the PR buttons right and left with edgy comments and interviews ? NO

Professional Marketing Agency/Help !? yes definately needed, great, sign one up and sort that out, i will be quiet immediacy when they take over. Until then i keep pushing this coin on all levels with what i have !

me personal i am all into the darkness ... anonymity and edgy ... but this is not who we DRK are correct ?!

Think about it, i am talking about 1 word changing and look at the discussion we are already getting out of it among ourself. Think what we could do on a PR side with that.

Edit:
    i was on a Hong Kong Chinese chat room all night,
    these guys are all well educated, pretty loaded, investors in startups and whatnot,
    after engaging into the discussion some started buying DRK right away,
    asking about MN's , being intrigued by the returns,
    regarding a market of DRK one said:
    "i see people looking at ways to leverage DRK for things like tax trades where the swiss helped in the past but with they secrecy laws abolished i believe something needs to fill that demand of anonymous money movement in a secure and trusted way"

We should be aiming high, (Swiss Banks)
    not low (Darkmarkets)

"Private" vs "Anonymous"

#7 tungfa, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Carrot

Carrot Member

I do agree that private does have less of a stigma attached to it than anonymous.

• Like Like x 1
  9. raze

Dash Address:
    Yes, the focus should be on 'privacy' rather than 'anonymity'. That's actually been the official position for months now, but propagating any changes to the community is like trying to herd cats in slow motion. Plus, we really just need a new tagline altogether. "Private/Anonymous Digital Currency" is about as bland and uncreative as they get, and out of all the suggestions from the community, I haven't really seen anything that's really that much better. Yet another reason we really need to hire a professional marketing firm who have a clear vision of what to do and how to do it.

Something I posted back in June:
    We even had the NXT designer reach out to us about doing a professional branding guide, but nothing ever came from it. It just doesn't seem to be a high priority for the community, even though I think it's more important than people realize.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Red-Shinobi

Red-Shinobi Member

When you think it through in this case privacy is just another word for anonymous.
    And when you keep thinking you get to the point that what people really and truely want is to be safe. Safe from evil governments and gustapo style taxers.
    The phrase that is already in the minds of people is "consumer protection". I'll keep mentioning it because that phrase is already out there and wont go anywhere...we can leverage it.

I disagree with raze that a professional firm will magically do a better job just becasuse theyre expensive and 'professional'.

Darkcoin is open source now, we can do anything we want. All that these discussions are about is what the darkcoin foundation will do, and ultimately only the half dozern guys in the foundation have any say on that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. raze

Dash Address:
    It's not magic, it's science--psychology meets economics. Companies don't pour tons of money into professional marketing just for the hell of it. i think we'd be making a mistake by not seriously considering how having professional (read: knowledgeable) marketers can affect perception and adoption.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

i am all for professional help !
    but while that is being sorted out we should keep the push and momentum going we have now !

13. Carrot

Carrot Member

I just think starting a donation for these types of things would be a great idea. Not necessarily this in particular bit things of this nature where when we need it done now we can call out the votes and get it done. The board could have the final say that way we don't have people getting all rogue with strangers money. Is there an address that one of the board members holds for this type of thing already?

14. Red-Shinobi

Red-Shinobi Member

This firm you want to hire....how many people in their group do you think will have science or psycololgy backgrounds???
    You'll find zero guys with such backgrounds.

Companies pour tons of money into the distribution; t.v., print, ect. The amount spent on the marketing firms pales in comparison.

Consider this fact: Word of mouth advertising is vastly superior to any other form of marketing. Any professional worth his salt will tell you this unequivocally.

15. LonnieDRR

LonnieDRR Member

Yes i agree. PRIVATE digital currency is way better. I like the Darkcoin name and we should keep it. Its becoming well known now and has a good reputation.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pbleak

pbleak Active Member

I'm not sure we have 4k or so to pour into marketing. This is not a company though maybe the Foundation could follow such a path better. Private sounds good for sure. The current branding is actually quite good in my opinion. Looks sleek to me. Though if anyone wants to pour money into marketing I'd be happy with that too.

17. moli

moli Grizzled Member

Have you seen the darkcoin foundation guys, other than Evan and Fernando, say anything to us on here? I'm still waiting to see them introduce themselves to us and let us know what they're up to with this project.

18. pbleak

pbleak Active Member

I'm guessing the Foundation will step up when everything is settled development wise.

19. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Moderator

As some know, I'm a director of the foundation, but my opinion is just as good as any other. Just the opinion of a Darkcoin supporter. The Darkcoin project is owned by the community and there is no central authority. The foundation is/will be just a bunch of guys trying to help the development and addoption of Darkcoin. We'll collect donations and membership fees to use them in projects related to Darkcoin. Obviously, there is some power with the control of funds, but nobody will be forced to pay, so the funds/power will only be as big as the community decide. If we screw up, I expect the community to take action and stop paying, ignore us, or even take control of the foundation by the means stablished in the bylaws.

As for the privacy/anonymity debate, I personally prefer to talk about privacy, but I think we should also use anonymity depending on the audience. In cryptoland anonymity is a very well stablished term with a very specific meaning, transactions can't be traced. Darkcoin is anonymous in that sense and we should not be ashamed. Privacy is something bigger with many components and Darkcoin is a tool to achieve it. I don't like the rhetoric around Darkwallet or Darkmarkets and I think we should move away from it. My personal vision for Darkcoin is for it to be the tool for people to achieve complete control of their finances. It is a long shot, maybe a bit ambiguous, but it goes much further than being the payment method for illegal things online. There are many menaces to privacy now, I want to fight those.

Finally, regarding hiring someone for marketing, I have mixed feelings. I think we are talking about marketing and branding as interchangeable things and they aren't. The NXT guy quoted an image design project, not a marketing project. A good marketing plan should include many other aspects and would be much more expensive. Also, we are not a structured organization that can enforce things, so I'm not sure we can work exactly as a private company. I'm comfortable with some chaos and letting people work out things by themselves, but I'm not closed to anything. If someone with good ideas an implementation skills appear around the corner, I want us to grab him.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

Hmmm
    bummer !

I thought somebody will step up and make a decision for all of us, but i guess not !

So what do we do ?
    Public vote ? DRKtalk and on BTCtalk ?
    or forget about it ?!

#20 tungfa, Oct 7, 2014
  21. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

I must have explained myself very poorly :)

What I'm saying it that there is no central authority. I will usually talk about privacy and use anonymity as a feature at certain times. That is how Evan has been communicating for a log time. The foundation will likely do the same. But not me or the foundation are legitimized to impose my/our view. We can ask for certain things from people doing things in the name of the foundation, but we can't go further than that. If we voted, it would be the same, no matter the result, nobody can force you to do something you don't want to do. Evan's opinion is the most respected here because he is the creator, but not even him can force people to behave in certain ways. We all follow because we want.

That's part of the beauty of decentralized projects like this one. You are not forced to follow if I don't convince you. This, also, is what makes them so difficult to regulate/forbid/attack.

Anyway, back to the discussion, if you want a clear statement: I say privacy is a more powerful message.

• Like Like x 3
  22. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

tx fernando !
    i am not talking about enforcing "Privacy" (maybe i expressed myself wrong) !!!
    i am talking about changing the logo's to project to the outside world that we are about privacy (and not anonymity) hence it has a more positiv angle !!

EDIT:
    I edited my original post, it seemed people thought i want to enforce the word "anonymity"
    and i do not, i am talking (mainly) about changing the logo's and slogan we use !

Just to clarify !!
    ;)

#22 tungfa, Oct 7, 2014
  23. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

In reality, the logo doesn't say anonymity or privacy :)

If you are talking about doing it at darkcointalk, that's up to Propulsion to do it. Aside of a long time Darkcoin supporter, he owns, maintains and pays for the forums, so he's the one to be convinced!

24. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

???

FB , G+ , DRKtalk , and a bunch of others where i ever plugged in a logo sais
    Anonymous Digital Currency

to change them is a piece of cake
    it is just about getting the ok to do so !
    Propulsion are you ready for that or what is your opinion on this
    (we should use the same logos and slogans on all pages !!)

• Like Like x 1
  25. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash

I had forgotten about G+ and FB. I've just deleted the tag line altogether in G+ because I think that any tag line will always be incomplete. Now it is just Darkcoin :)

• Like Like x 1
  26. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

i do the others ... tx

27. Propulsion

Propulsion The buck stops here.

Dash Address:
    XerHCGryyfZttUc6mnuRY3FNJzU1Jm9u5L

[​IMG]

Yeah, that can be done. I'll need to be provided with an updated image though.
    Above is the current one.

• Like Like x 1
  28. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

ok great
    i get you a new logo tomorrow !!

• Like Like x 1
  29. r-ando

r-ando Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Good job Fernando, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Red-Shinobi

Red-Shinobi Member

Is there some reason the tag line is so far away from the logo?
    I suggest you move it closer while youre at it.

Ya know, "private" sounds to me like exclusive or not open to the public. I dont care about the tag line one way or another myself, but private is less inviting than anonymous.
    Example: a privately held company is one you cannot buy stock in; you say its held privately versus a publicly traded company.

'Private' seems a bit at odds with the opensource concept.