• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

BTC and DASH on same Trezor

ericsammons

Masternode Owner/Operator
I have been accumulating a little Dash recently, and I wanted to store it somewhere other than my iOS wallet (which is great, btw). I wanted something more secure than a desktop wallet, and I already have a Trezor for my Bitcoin. So, after doing some research, I realized that I can store my BTC and DASH on the same Trezor!

It was really quite easy. All I did was connect my Trezor to my Mac, download and start up Electrum-Dash, and do a Create New Hardware Wallet. It was then ready to roll - nothing else to do: the BTC wallet wasn't effected by the new DASH wallet residing on the Trezor.

The best was when I sent BTC from my Trezor to Shapeshift to convert to DASH and send to that same Trezor!

A few notes:

(1) I did try Encompass first, but for some reason could not get it to work.
(2) I found that if I had Electrum-Dash running with the Trezor connected to my Mac, I couldn't get the MyTrezor web app to recognize my BTC accounts on that Trezor. But once I closed Electrum-Dash it easily recognized them.
(3) Most importantly, in order to remind myself what is on my Trezor, I created a new homescreen (sorry for the crappy image):

image-1-768x1024.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. I like the custom homescreen!

Plus, making your own custom Trezor firmware like that gives you the added benefit of evil maid protection.

(but not evil-maid protection against someone in possession of Satoshilab's firmware signing keys, which is very unlikely anyway)

Back