King of the Morlocks
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Mar 9, 2014
Dash Address
Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW

roxbury

Jul 18, 2014
The coin is a 3D render, there's no vector version. We've been trying to move away from using the coin image in favor of the logo since the coin doesn't fit well with the direction the branding effort is going. I have hi-res and vector versions of the logo though: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=59FF30B584DFA85E&id=59FF30B584DFA85E!4823
Thanks for the info. The coin would fit better for the background for my purposes (see: wesellredd.com , weselldoges.com) , but I'll give it a shot using the circular logo.

Thanks

fernando

Powered by Dash
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
May 9, 2014
Thanks for the info. The coin would fit better for the background for my purposes (see: wesellredd.com , weselldoges.com) , but I'll give it a shot using the circular logo.

Thanks
Good to see you're going ahead with the project!

GreyGhost

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
Santa Monica, CA
Enzwell graph looks great!!

I'd like to see move toward PRIVACY (instead of "anonymous") in shaping the Darkcoin brand. "Anonymous" is cool but it carries too much negative connotations in the main stream while restoring our PRIVACY is the most burning societal need for all of us. It would be more difficult to attack a PRIVACY oriented crypto-currency than an "anonymous" currency.

eltito

Apr 21, 2014
Enzwell graph looks great!!

I'd like to see move toward PRIVACY (instead of "anonymous") in shaping the Darkcoin brand. "Anonymous" is cool but it carries too much negative connotations in the main stream while restoring our PRIVACY is the most burning societal need for all of us. It would be more difficult to attack a PRIVACY oriented crypto-currency than an "anonymous" currency.
This is the direction you'll see the language heading in the future.

Reactions: GreyGhost

darkwing

Apr 8, 2014
This is the direction you'll see the language heading in the future.
Could we have a thread moderated by one of you core team ninjas about a "What is Darkcoin campaign?"
Been discussed a few times over at BCT, the idea would be to get positive OFFICIAL messaging ie. Privacy etc out before media outlets label the coin for drugs, pedos, etc.

Could be a press release, could be banner ads could be whatever.

A few people want to bounce ideas around. Not a full marketing campaign.. merely talking through creating the "first message", "first impression" advertising.
It's useful. Get more people aboard and provides a point of reference for journalists.

Reactions: JGCMiner and flare

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
I read the artwork is CC-BY-SA licensed, but who is the one getting the credits for it? I want to use it in my project but fail to recognize the correct attribution.

fernando

Powered by Dash
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
May 9, 2014
I read the artwork is CC-BY-SA licensed, but who is the one getting the credits for it? I want to use it in my project but fail to recognize the correct attribution.
No clue... I also got an email a couple of days ago about the font not being open source (it isn't) and how that could lead to trouble in the future and how it was against open source philosophy.

We need to put some time into this to clarify owneship, rights, licenses... I know very little about it. raze are you familiar with all this?

fernando

Powered by Dash
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
May 9, 2014
Btw, can you share already something about the new project? :)

Reactions: tungfa

raze

King of the Morlocks
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Dash Address
No clue... I also got an email a couple of days ago about the font not being open source (it isn't) and how that could lead to trouble in the future and how it was against open source philosophy.

We need to put some time into this to clarify owneship, rights, licenses... I know very little about it. raze are you familiar with all this?
Questions about the font have been brought up before. My previous response:
It gets a bit complicated, but basically there's a distinction between "font" and "typeface". The font is the actual software, the typeface is the design itself. Fonts can be copyrighted, typefaces can't, at least under US law. Technically, you need a license to use the font when creating a design, but once the design has been converted to a vector or raster image and the font file is no longer being used, it's no longer under copyright (such as in the logo).

As an example, say you wanted to use the typeface for headers for the website. If the headers are image files with the text as part of the image, no license is required. On the other hand, if the headers use a font embedded in the webpage to display the text, a license IS required.
I'll also add that while the typeface may not be protected under copyright, it is technically possible to protect it under a design patent or trademark, but in practice it's rarely done. It's all a bit of a legal gray area, but the only way to avoid it would be to change the typeface entirely.

Some legal precedent: Adobe Systems, Inc. v. Southern Software, Inc

As far as CC license attribution, that was also discussed a while ago, but I don't think ownership was ever clearly defined. I had suggested Evan as the sole owner at the time, now I'd probably suggest it be the Foundation.

Last edited by a moderator:

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
Btw, can you share already something about the new project? :)
checkout the develpolment/projects subforum, i'm working on a 0.9.x wallet tree to work out my c++ skills.

As far as CC license attribution, that was also discussed a while ago, but I don't think ownership was ever clearly defined. I had suggested Evan as the sole owner at the time, now I'd probably suggest it be the Foundation.
if you are okay with that i would use darkcoin foundation as attribution party.

Reactions: fernando and tungfa

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
checkout the develpolment/projects subforum, i'm working on a 0.9.x wallet tree to work out my c++ skills.

if you are okay with that i would use darkcoin foundation as attribution party.

0.9.x wallet tree
what is that ?!

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
0.9.x is the version before darkcoin was open sourced, a wallet without all the cool darkcoin features. a tree is a network of branches on git (developer speak).

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
0.9.x is the version before darkcoin was open sourced, a wallet without all the cool darkcoin features. a tree is a network of branches on git (developer speak).
after watching this video bellow
i think i understand now what you mean when you are saying things like that !
GitHub, Tree ... i totally get it ... tx ...>

B-AZ

Dec 2, 2014
Here's some thoughts, feel free to disregard them:
1. Now is no time for any change in logo, but if Darkcoins are really "digital cash" then perhaps a logo comprised of a wallet with some Darkcoin bills (Darkbills?) inside might be good? I don't wish to mix up coins and bills of course, but when I think of "cash" I think of Benjamins and such. Plus the image of a full wallet just makes me feel warm inside.
2. The term "Anonymous" could probably stand to be switched to "Private" as many have suggested before. None of the synonyms associated with Anonymous in this online thesaurus I'm looking at are really more appealing ("bearding" is defined as "to boldly confront or challenge" though, did you know that?), but private has such warm and fuzzy words as "confidential", "exclusive", "independent", "off the record".
3. Okay, you got me, I don't have a third point right now and this point by point format was probably a hasty decision. Just be nice if I've said nothing original in my previous two points.

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
Questions about the font have been brought up before. My previous response:

I'll also add that while the typeface may not be protected under copyright, it is technically possible to protect it under a design patent or trademark, but in practice it's rarely done. It's all a bit of a legal gray area, but the only way to avoid it would be to change the typeface entirely.

Some legal precedent: Adobe Systems, Inc. v. Southern Software, Inc

hey raze
can you please tell me the names of the official DRK Fonts
i should use for any graphics, cards, ...
tx

there are many things going on in the moment
where i am helping community people with graphics and layouts
(for them to stay in the corporate identity)
should i involve you into that ?!

you are a popper designer correct ?!

raze

King of the Morlocks
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Dash Address
hey raze
can you please tell me the names of the official DRK Fonts
i should use for any graphics, cards, ...
tx

there are many things going on in the moment
where i am helping community people with graphics and layouts
(for them to stay in the corporate identity)
should i involve you into that ?!

you are a popper designer correct ?!
At the bottom of the Promotional Graphics page on the website, I put some basic guidelines to follow to help maintain consistent branding. You can also download the official fonts there. I've been pretty busy lately (and probably will be for the foreseeable future), but I can try to help out a bit when I have some free time.

splawik21

Grizzled Member
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
At the bottom of the Promotional Graphics page on the website, I put some basic guidelines to follow to help maintain consistent branding. You can also download the official fonts there. I've been pretty busy lately (and probably will be for the foreseeable future), but I can try to help out a bit when I have some free time.
tx raze
got it all
i will keep you posted if something comes up with needs for a professional, for now i am just doing layouts and simple mock ups.

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/12th-dec-flutterclub-bitcoin-vs-directbet-darkcoin.3284/

Why do they use old style of our logo (striked D) and not the new one? I've seen it few times in new articles already. Shouldn't we point them to the right direction? https://www.darkcoin.io/resources/promotional-graphics/

another (not related to the first link) questions:
- what is X11 doing there? https://www.darkcoin.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/x11_logo_s.png
- there must be gallery/wallpapers section I guess, we have some nice renderings made by community - why not use them?

raze ?

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/12th-dec-flutterclub-bitcoin-vs-directbet-darkcoin.3284/

Why do they use old style of our logo (striked D) and not the new one? I've seen it few times in new articles already. Shouldn't we point them to the right direction? https://www.darkcoin.io/resources/promotional-graphics/

another (not related to the first link) questions:
- what is X11 doing there? https://www.darkcoin.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/x11_logo_s.png
- there must be gallery/wallpapers section I guess, we have some nice renderings made by community - why not use them?

raze ?
Raptor73 ping community renderings
fernando ping website integration

UdjinM6 these news generating sites simply google for darkcoin logo and find a lot of old stuff. what's wrong with the x11 logo btw?

Edit just found that :D,

fernando