Branding Discussion

just_mike

Mar 9, 2014
Los Angeles
My point when I said I think it's a little ways down the road is that it doesn't appear that we have consensus on what direction we want to go in a few places. I have no problem with getting a style sheet ordered, but my question is, what exactly are we going to tell them to put on it? Do we know for sure what we want?

The placeholders on post #23 need to be filled in first, at minimum.
Good point. Can we at least fill in the placeholders? This branding discussion is holding up other things. Every Darkcoin site has a different theme. That needs to be corrected. I am seeing multiple versions of the coin, even in Evan's work. The current windows QT uses the old coin for the program icon. The splash uses a version I haven't seen before.

LimLims

Mar 13, 2014
My votes:

1. Decide on Tagline
Anonymous digital cash

3. Define grey-scale logo
We could leave this to the designer if we're hiring someone to do the style guide. It would be normal to have some back & forth discussion to get all that to a point where we're happy with it. Same with colour palettes.

5. Decide on icon/favicon. Coin or just the "D"
I think the "D" scales down better, and it's better to use the logo to represent Darkcoin in general. I think it also stands out more against the horde of other altcoins (on sites like coinmarketcap). So my vote is for the "D".

eltito

Apr 21, 2014
DESCRIPTION (Copied from Wiki) -Darkcoin (DRK) is a digital cryptographic currency created by Evan Duffield. It is based on the Bitcoin software code, with the intention to be a safer and more private alternative to Bitcoin. It is the first anonymous cryptocurrency based on a decentralized anonymity solution.

Unlike the transparent nature of Bitcoin, where every account and transaction are public for everyone to see, Darkcoin features an obfuscated model of transactions (DarkSend) where its users can experience a larger degree of privacy.
Darkcoin (DRK) is a digital cryptographic currency based on the Bitcoin software code. Created by developer Evan Duffield, Darkcoin's primary objective is to offer its users a safer and more private alternative to Bitcoin. Darkcoin is the first anonymous cryptocurrency, built from the ground up on a decentralized system of transaction obfuscation.

Every Bitcoin account and associated transaction is stored on a public ledger, or "blockchain". This information is open for all to see, and is retained in perpetuity. In stark contrast to this model, Darkcoin features built-in technology to render transactions indecipherable on the blockchain, affording its users a high degree of privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
I'm not good at this stuff, but my husband, who is a writer, saw how we write Darkcoin and DarkSend, and said the inconsistency was bad. That it should be DarkCoin and DarkSend or Darkcoin and Darksend (I prefer the former). Just putting this out there.....

Reactions: Enzwell

LimLims

Mar 13, 2014
I'm not good at this stuff, but my husband, who is a writer, saw how we write Darkcoin and DarkSend, and said the inconsistency was bad. That it should be DarkCoin and DarkSend or Darkcoin and Darksend (I prefer the former). Just putting this out there.....
Agree with this. Can we standardise on one of these? My vote is Darkcoin / Darksend (Because I'm lazy and pressing shift at the right time is hard).

raze

King of the Morlocks
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Mar 9, 2014
Dash Address
Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW
More refinement:

"Darkcoin (Ticker symbol: DRK) is a digital currency based on the Bitcoin software. Created by software developer and financial advisor Evan Duffield, Darkcoin's primary objective is to offer its users a secure and privacy-centric alternative to Bitcoin. Darkcoin is the first anonymous digital currency, built from the ground up to obfuscate transactions using a decentralized network, removing the need to trust a third-party to maintain its users' privacy.

Every Bitcoin account and associated transaction is stored on a ledger, or "blockchain". This information is publicly available, and is retained in perpetuity. In contrast, Darkcoin's underlying technology masks the link between the sender and receiver on the blockchain, affording its users a high degree of privacy."

fernando

Powered by Dash
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
May 9, 2014
Agree with this. Can we standardise on one of these? My vote is Darkcoin / Darksend (Because I'm lazy and pressing shift at the right time is hard).
I'm with you on this one. Most people are lazy and brands that try the double capital letter usually end up abandoning it.

just_mike

Mar 9, 2014
Los Angeles
I put the current state in the first post. This is not final/forever. We need something consistent NOW. News, merchants, bloggers, community are picking random logos, colors and descriptions.

Darkcoin/DarkSend
- I am glad someone brought it up because it bothered me as well. I like Darkcoin/Darksend and will check with Evan on this one.

Description
- Raze's version is good. the only problem I see is "first." That is going to draw lots of negative attention from the CryptoNote crowd.
- A short description for the Wiki is good for now. The description/justification will be revisited.​

Greyscale - Use B&W versions as shown by Enzwell. I want to revisit later.

Coin
- Is this the coin? ->https://darkcointalk.org/attachments/darkcoin-logo-jpg.83/
- If so where is the vector version?
- If so, can we get the color from the logo in there? "Strong blue"; RGB: 51, 152, 204; CMYK: 75, 25, 0, 20;Hex: #3398cc​

Icon - We are using the D. Need a better version of the D.

raze

King of the Morlocks
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Dash Address
Darkcoin/DarkSend - I am glad someone brought it up because it bothered me as well. I like Darkcoin/Darksend and will check with Evan on this one.
+1 for Darkcoin/Darksend
Raze's version is good. the only problem I see is "first." That is going to draw lots of negative attention from the CryptoNote crowd.
Yeah, I was a bit iffy on that part too. I was thinking "top" instead, or just removing the clause altogether.
Need a better version of the D.
What do you mean? Higher res?

just_mike

Mar 9, 2014
Los Angeles
Darkcoin/Darksend - I will wait until after fork issues are resolved before approaching Evan.

Description - I have more issues. Darkcoin was not built from the ground up. It is based on Bitcoin and CoinJoin. That part needs to be reworded.

Icon - Better looking. I know it is 16x16 pixels but there is dark magic that can be applied to make it look better.

raze

King of the Morlocks
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Dash Address
Icon - Better looking. I know it is 16x16 pixels but there is dark magic that can be applied to make it look better.
A few tweaks and removed anti-aliasing.

raze

King of the Morlocks
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Dash Address
Description - I have more issues. Darkcoin was not built from the ground up. It is based on Bitcoin and CoinJoin. That part needs to be reworded.
"Darkcoin (Ticker symbol: DRK) is a digital currency based on the Bitcoin software. Created by software developer and financial advisor Evan Duffield, Darkcoin's primary objective is to offer its users a secure and privacy-centric alternative to Bitcoin. Darkcoin is the top anonymous digital currency, founded on and improving upon the well-established Bitcoin source code and featuring a custom implementation of CoinJoin, a decentralized transaction protocol which removes the need to trust a third-party to maintain its users' privacy.

Every Bitcoin account and associated transaction is stored on a ledger, or "blockchain". This information is publicly available, and is retained in perpetuity. In contrast, Darkcoin's underlying technology masks the link between the sender and receiver on the blockchain, affording its users a high degree of privacy."

Reactions: fernando

raze

King of the Morlocks
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Dash Address
Make sure we (Evan, Darkcoin Team, Community Team) in fact have control of any graphics. THEN figure out a license to allow others to use the graphics.
I would suggest that Evan be the sole copyright holder. I think any sort of group copyright ownership would just lead to headaches down the road. Evan making graphics available through a CC BY-SA license would be the simplest and least restrictive solution, IMO.

Minotaur

Foundation Member
Apr 7, 2014
1. Decide on Tagline I like " Anonymous Digital Currency" ... "Anonymous cash" seems redundant to me.
2. I like Darksend/Darkcoin
3. Decide on icon/favicon. Coin or just the "D" Just the light blue D.

eltito

Apr 21, 2014
1. Decide on Tagline I like " Anonymous Digital Currency" ... "Anonymous cash" seems redundant to me.
2. I like Darksend/Darkcoin
3. Decide on icon/favicon. Coin or just the "D" Just the light blue D.
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. D - never use the coin as an official logo for anything

Maybe add a poll on these things?

just_mike

Mar 9, 2014
Los Angeles
I updated first post.
1. Anonymous Digital Currency
2. Darksend/Darkcoin - I want to get confirmation from Evan/Kyle but will wait until tomorrow.
3. Used raze's icon for now. I liked it more but Enzwell's first version is growing on me.

Coin - I need vector format. Who has it? I thought it was posted somewhere but I cannot find it now.

eltito

Apr 21, 2014
I updated first post.
1. Anonymous Digital Currency
2. Darksend/Darkcoin - I want to get confirmation from Evan/Kyle but will wait until tomorrow.
3. Used raze's icon for now. I liked it more but Enzwell's first version is growing on me.

Coin - I need vector format. Who has it? I thought it was posted somewhere but I cannot find it now.
I actually prefer Enzwell's 2nd version to all of the others. The lighter stroke makes it much easier to see details at 16x16. All three look good at ~arm's length, but lean back in your chair or look at it on a phone. Enzwell 2 works best at all distances.

The aliasing is also super clean.

fernando