• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Bad transaction in darkcoin wallet

vossman77

Summary:

I was messing with the wallet source code (bad idea won't do it again) and I tried to send some darkcoin. Well now the transaction is not being recognized by the master nodes and just sits at 0/unconfirmed. Is there any way to get the coins back?

Longer story:

Anyway, I was frustrated with the fee the wallet is charging, if I send 25 DRK, it was a fee of 0.063 DRK (about 25 cents); but if I wanted to send 50 DRK then the fee is only 0.001 DRK (acceptable, less than half a penny).

So I was looking at the code to see how the fees were calculated. It was pretty complex. I should have read this thread first, https://darkcointalk.org/threads/darkcoin-wallet-fees.583

I use p2pool mining directly to my wallet, so I guess that is why I have large fees. Anyway, I found these lines in main.cpp:

Code:
/** Fees smaller than this (in satoshi) are considered zero fee (for transaction creation) */
int64 CTransaction::nMinTxFee = 100000;
/** Fees smaller than this (in satoshi) are considered zero fee (for relaying) */
int64 CTransaction::nMinRelayTxFee = 100000;

and I found out when I changed the numbers that the fee changed. So, I changed it from 100,000 to 100,000,000 and the fee went from 0.062 to 0.000062 DRK, and then like an idiot I hit send. I forgot that these currencies are designed to prevent cheaters.

I tried doing -rescan and getrawtransaction from this site, but I would not expect it to work... https://darkcointalk.org/threads/frozen-transactions-why-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.1649

So, I now have a transaction in my wallet that will never get confirmed, because I messed up. Is there any way to get the coins back? Or do I have to chalk it up to making a bad choice.

import your p2pool mining address private key into a fresh wallet and use this to send your self the funds. just an idea. make sure it only affects the p2pool funds and have backups of all your wallets.

The wallet is working fine, I have been able to receive and send funds since reverting the change, but I still have this "ghost" transaction.

Just create a new wallet. The ghost transaction wont go away, the miners are not accepting it due to the low fee.

Thanks for your help.

So, I have a fresh wallet. But I still want to get my funds back. In addition to the 25 DRK, I now have another 65 DRK tx that is not being recognized by the masternodes.

I was doing some reading on the bitcoin wallets, and they have a feature called -zapwallettxes that sounds like it may work.

A quick update on the state of transaction malleability work in
Bitcoind/Bitcoin-Qt (aka Bitcoin Core). This is not about longer-term
malleability issues, just the very short-term work being done (or already
done) to the reference implementation.

Coins (really, unspent transaction outputs) were never permanently lost, but
they could be tied up and unspendable when
associated with a 0-confirmation transaction that would never confirm.

These implements a kinder, gentler sledgehammer (-zapwallettxes) to fix a
confused wallet. If you have a wallet with 0-confirmation transactions that
are tying up bitcoins these should fix it.

Would it be worthwhile for me to implement this for the darkcoin wallet. I guess it is worth almost $400 to me now :(

Note: in the future I have decided to always pay a small fee when creating tx's and send all my p2pool payment to separate client.
Live and learn I guess.

Back