• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

ASIC life span

Mr.MeatyCoins

In about 2 months i'm planning on investing all my blue collar earned money into mining hardware so i can get live an independent, stable and somewhat labor free life. I know that each ASIC producing company offers a certain warranty period, and that whenever something goes wrong with your hardware independent of your interference, you will get it taken care of. But i was wondering to ask the question to more senior miners who have a long history with ASICs, about what is the average life span of an ASIC after the warranty period? Or at least an approximation

In about 2 months i'm planning on investing all my blue collar earned money into mining hardware so i can get live an independent, stable and somewhat labor free life. I know that each ASIC producing company offers a certain warranty period, and that whenever something goes wrong with your hardware independent of your interference, you will get it taken care of. But i was wondering to ask the question to more senior miners who have a long history with ASICs, about what is the average life span of an ASIC after the warranty period? Or at least an approximation
Mining is a risky business. Start from small investment to get experience of six months minimum before taking decision for average or big investment. A lot also happens in this field.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

Why exactly a 6 months experience? I've invested some money and currently trade on the crypto market. I've made my research very well and i want to buy a miner for bigger and stable profits

Why exactly a 6 months experience? I've invested some money and currently trade on the crypto market. I've made my research very well and i want to buy a miner for bigger and stable profits

I agree with @Ashutosh. Even if you've been trading in crypto for a while, I wouldn't advise to spend all your money in mining. I also suggest start small, get some experience (3-6 months sounds reasonable), and go from there.

And particularly Dash mining income hasn't been stable at all lately. Take a loot at the Hashrate and difficulty charts staring this year. It went from 5TH/s to above 15TH/s in just a few months. That means your miner makes 1/3 of what it did back then.

Have a look at the offers, such as Baikal's ones and use the profitability calculator in coinwarz. Play with the difficulty value and see the projected returns.

I agree with @Ashutosh. Even if you've been trading in crypto for a while, I wouldn't advise to spend all your money in mining. I also suggest start small, get some experience (3-6 months sounds reasonable), and go from there.

And particularly Dash mining income hasn't been stable at all lately. Take a loot at the Hashrate and difficulty charts staring this year. It went from 5TH/s to above 15TH/s in just a few months. That means your miner makes 1/3 of what it did back then.

Have a look at the offers, such as Baikal's ones and use the profitability calculator in coinwarz. Play with the difficulty value and see the projected returns.
Thanks mrearthbound, for explaining well. Sorry for my late reply, I was too busy today.
Obviously one can not get this important experience without start mining, my only honest suggestion is to start with small investment. I am sure that after having 6 months of experience one can have answers of those questions also, which usually don't come in mind of beginners. Alternatively you can hire or take practical help of some experienced person to start quickly.
As I read Mr.MeatyCoins is planning "all my blue collar earned money" to invest in mining, just thought to write something here [emoji4]

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

When I was buying server hardware, the rule of thumb was three years top performance expectancy. After that things start to go wrong often enough to warrant replacement rather than maintenance. Downtime costs and obsolescence were part of that equation. I think that is the answer to the question you were asking.

The reality, as mrearthbound and the others were trying to point out, has little to do with how long a particular hardware will last. How long it will remain efficient on a rapidly expanding network is more to the point.

Back