• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Another reason to try MimbleWimble as a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article but I don't know why you bothered; no one here gives a shit, they're all living in some weird parallel universe

Did you think that we would continue to grow unabated? They are just starting to fight us. You have to also remember that Representatives all over the world understand the need for privacy and that law enforcement will always want more control. So what does this tell us? That we are about to all go to jail? That we are going to be outlawed by Interpol? No perhaps in Europe if they do not have any wise people in government they will have a problem but I have more confidence in our country. Plus our country is very powerful and I think we have a good chance as a country to lead the way. So yes I care. And that is why I keep saying we have to prepare and hire a law firm and hire lobbyists. We cannot continue forever Without arming ourselves and fighting.

Did you think that we would continue to grow unabated? They are just starting to fight us. You have to also remember that Representatives all over the world understand the need for privacy and that law enforcement will always want more control. So what does this tell us? That we are about to all go to jail? That we are going to be outlawed by Interpol? No perhaps in Europe if they do not have any wise people in government they will have a problem but I have more confidence in our country. Plus our country is very powerful and I think we have a good chance as a country to lead the way. So yes I care. And that is why I keep saying we have to prepare and hire a law firm and hire lobbyists. We cannot continue forever Without arming ourselves and fighting.

Notice they've only voiced concerns about mixing, maybe they've just enough grasp on reality to know the difference between "extremely difficult" and "impossible" for the poor unfortunates they're ordering to enforce these proposals but my guess is that they're having trouble keeping up with the tech just in preparation for meetings let alone keeping up with it in the real world.

All the same, no promotions without results and they'll go for the low hanging fruit... no, not the bankers laundering billions, they have special "stay out of jail free" cards, all the interwebz surveillance makes mixing the easy target and imho it's a cause for concern. What to do about it is another matter though, the entirely private coins have the most to fear because their options are very limited and they'll come under the spotlight soon enough, the main topics where out of date but they'll have been discussed at length face to face. We'll see where it leads, maybe it'll lead to necessity, necessity is the mother of invention and invention is what Dash does best.

That's another thing ^^ Mimblewimble basically turns Bitcoin into Monero. I simply do not trust all this funny and hidden cryptography. There are weird things that happen in mathematics, and we'll be discovering a lot of them with QCs. That's not to mention, what if a computer comes along that can reverse everything?

Mixing like Dash does, preserves fungiblity. It's a must. Just because Police want an easy way to fight crime, doesn't mean they should have it. Aside from the privacy implications, the authoritarian world that would create would be unbearable to humanity. We might as well become North Korea. Clearer minds will prevail. The governments are full of very stupid and shallow shiny teeth, fast talking idiots and a few amazingly intelligent and deep thinking individuals. It's those deep individuals that choose to work in such an industry we all should be deeply thankful for! They generally keep the boat afloat :) They will negotiate the way through :)

Last edited:
That's another thing ^^ Mimblewimble basically turns Bitcoin into Monero. I simply do not trust all this funny and hidden cryptography. There are weird things that happen in mathematics, and we'll be discovering a lot of them with QCs. That's not to mention, what if a computer comes along that can reverse everything?

Mixing like Dash does, preserves fungiblity. It's a must. Just because Police want an easy way to fight crime, doesn't mean they should have it. Aside from the privacy implications, the authoritarian world that would create would be unbearable to humanity. We might as well become North Korea. Clearer minds will prevail. The governments are full of very stupid and shallow shiny teeth, fast talking idiots and a few amazingly intelligent and deep thinking individuals. It's those deep individuals that choose to work in such an industry we all should be deeply thankful for! They generally keep the boat afloat :) They will negotiate the way through :)

I agree but we are a $100m project now. It couldn't harm to trial alturnate privacy solutions on testnet.

I have been on much lower value projects at work and we had contingency strategies for everything.

Our mixing solution is a risk both from a technical and regulatory perspective. It is only prudent to have backup plans in place.

Good article but I don't know why you bothered; no one here gives a shit, they're all living in some weird parallel universe

Like most coins, there are areas for improvement with Dash. That's what the forum is for. Actively engaging and putting your views forward.

Like most coins, there are areas for improvement with Dash. That's what the forum is for. Actively engaging and putting your views forward.

I'd suggest caution on that, as far as I know just discussing how to break laws and get away with it is a crime in it's self. That should be irrelevant here, the laws aren't made yet so there's nothing to break but the law doesn't necessarily abide by its own rules, just ask Ross Ulbricht.

As far as I know there's no crime in discussing the consequences though and Ross is a good example, when Chuck Schumer rounded up a posse to run the Silk Road out of town it was obvious what was going to happen should he succeed, by the next day a dozen more sites just like it had gone live and now there are hundreds. A relatively contained situation had been turned into pure chaos but dang didn't Chuck look good for the cameras. The same thing will happen here, mixing wont go away, it will just get better at hiding and one of the end results will be crypto turning into black and white economies much more quickly. No idea what other effects it will have but I'm certain of that one, it was inevitable from the day the idea of coloured coins came out.

Something else that's also inevitable, the authorities attention to crypto will hinder innovation and I think there's at least one point there where the law will come up hard against common sense. The average transaction size is around 500 bytes so if there are 5000 full nodes then each transaction takes up about 2.5MB of storage space across the network. 400 transactions isn't many but that's about 1GB of storage and there are no fees for it, someone has to pay for that storage and they get nothing in return. That's an obvious flaw and someday it will be addressed, either pay to keep the transaction history and the space it uses or allow it to be pruned out and the space freed up.

For a start, the centralisation of mining seems to be a big problem now because most of Joe Public can't get their hands on new coins without going through these centralised bottlenecks. With that in mind, I can't help toying with the idea that bitcoin might be on it's final days (months).. not to say it will go away, but rather other coins with better distribution and some kind of inflation could take it's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back