• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Another Darkcoin to DASH thread...

Bawb3

So I have a Darkcoin wallet.dat backed up from around 2014. It wasn't encrypted if I remember correctly.

I installed the new DASH wallet, let it sync, shut it down, and copied my wallet.dat into the directory in Appdata (overwriting the newly created empty wallet).

But nothing is showing, no transactions, no balance.
I tried all of the tools available under Wallet Repair, but 'salvage wallet' is grayed out.

I'ts been a while so I can't remember if this backed up wallet actually had anything in it or not, but it should at least show transactions if I had sent them somewhere shouldn't it? Or perhaps I'm missing the point of an anonymous currency... If i sent them somewhere, I doubtfully used the darksend or privatesend feature as it would have just been to an exchange to sell for BTC, I never actually used the coins for anything else.

I'm also unsure how to figure out what my address should have been from the old DRK wallet because I'm a noob. Is there a way to find my old address from the wallet backup so I can at least find out if I sent/sold them at some point? I used to use cryptsy, so I can't check there obviously, and my email is cleared out passed 2015.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi there. Did you let the wallet complete synchronising after opening it with your old wallet file? Ideally let it finish sync, then use the rescan command. Any balance and transaction history should appear. If not, check if the wallet is encrypted or not (what does the lock in the bottom right corner show?). You can dump all addresses in the wallet using the debug console and the dumpwallet command, but if the wallet doesn't show any balance I think you will find the addresses won't help you much...

Thanks! Should I put the old wallet file in BEFORE I sync it?
I'll try the console and see if will pull any addresses and see if they have balances...I've been racking my memory trying to remember if I ever used this wallet, but why would I have a backup if I didn't lol.

Haha good luck! It doesn't matter when you put the wallet file in - just wait until all sync activity is done and then choose the rescan command. If nothing appears, you very likely have no balance...

Back