• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Adopt a page on Dash wiki

balu

Foundation Member
Our long-term plans include having an up-to-date all-round English documentation of Dash. Due to the scope of the project, this is only achievable with the help of the community. Up till now the wiki has been rather centralized, this initiative is meant to provide a framework for opening it up to contributors, which is an important step in the direction of our long-term plans.

Steps taken this far
  • We finished the migration of the current materials to the new Confluence-based wiki
  • Documentation spaces have been defined, permissions are set up
  • Domains have been redirected - wiki.dashpay.io redirects to dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki
  • Focus has been decided: English documentation first, which can be a source for community created translations
  • Host different language documentation in the same platform, but on separate spaces
  • Lots of efforts spent on reorganizing and updating materials

Why change is needed

Documentation has been too centralized, mostly tungfa working on updating pages based on community input. This is unsustainable, and creates an innecessary bottleneck in the workflow. We had to come up with an alternative that empowers community members to contribute in a more direct way, while keeping in mind the security concerns (allowing anyone to edit any document opens up new attack vectors)

Adopt a page

We'd like to encourage community members to adopt a specific page or section on the English language official wiki. It's easier to detail what this means in bullet points, so let's see:

• The adopter will be responsible for keeping that section up-to-date and possibly extending it
  • Page-level edit access right will be given, so the point above can be executed
  • On the top of each page it will be clearly displayed who's adopted it, along with a tip address for those finding the materials valuable
  • The PM team will be responsible for giving access rights, and maintaining a public list of adopters and related pages in the format of a wiki page
  • If someone wants to resign for whatever reason, it can be done anytime
  • If someone wants to extend an already adopted page, he will know who to turn to with the ideas
  • If someone wants to adopt a not-yet existing page (create a new guide, etc), it's also possible, he just needs to get in touch with someone from PM
We really hope that this framework will work out better than our current workflow, and result in a better overall documentation. It will also give us an interesting feedback on how much the community wants to contribute based on the number of pages adopted, and the engagement created this way. I personally have high hopes in this regard.

Afterword

Dash started as a one-man project. It grew a lot. And it will keep growing in the future. The PM team was created to take the ever increasing non-development workload off the dev team, and let them focus on the product itself. We decided to do this by creating frameworks, workflows, processes that empower community members to contribute easily, with as little burdens as possible. The initiative above is an example of the direction we'd like to take. We hope the majority agrees with this direction, and we're waiting for feedback both in the form of discussion, and commitment by adopting a page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thinking !

All my efforts on the Wiki are based on your (community) guides here on DCT !
Without these guides, i pretty much have nothing to post (tx for that)

as i am the known tech nob (who is good in copy/pasting), it would make the Wiki so much easier and sustainable in the long run (updates)
if the community members who post and work on guides or/and videos here on DCT would adopt the related page on Wiki as well !

Chinese + Russian Community,
it would be great if you manage your (language) pages
as i am just a tool in between and it would make it easier for you and me if you do that direct !

:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Adopt a page

I like the idea
icon_thumbsup.gif
:smile:

It would certainly help to have a) a link to the official Wiki included in your post and b) to have the "Dash Wiki"-link of this forum pointed there (it now links to elbereth's site).

I like the idea
icon_thumbsup.gif
:smile:

It would certainly help to have a) a link to the official Wiki included in your post and b) to have the "Dash Wiki"-link of this forum pointed there (it now links to elbereth's site).

Updated the post with the domains. The second part is up to Propulsion to change.

I'd like to ask the community to provide some feedback on why this initiative was not generating any interest. Any feedback is welcome.

Is the description of the task not clear?
Isn't the importance of a good documentation communicated well enough?
Is the task perceived boring/tedious/long?
Is the responsibility too much?
Etc..

Thanks a lot in advance. Such feedback is priceless to us, as we can make better assumptions on what to crowdsource in the future.

I'd like to ask the community to provide some feedback on why this initiative was not generating any interest. Any feedback is welcome.

For me it's lack of time, I actually created some of those Wiki pages but since I've chosen the development-path there's no spare time left.

What I would do: create a thread with direct links to the most needed Wiki-pages with some hints what will be expected, like:

1. Masternodes - For Newcomers: needs to be updated to Dash version v0.12.0.x
  2. Testnet Guides + Tools: links obsolete/don't work anymore
  3. ...
  4. [lots of things you Scrum-guys would call "backlog" :grin:]

This way people see what's important and roughly what is needed. The more concrete the task, the easier the decision to do or do not something.

And once people get used to the Wiki syntax they will lose their fear and continue to maintain it...

Unfortunately i think crowing is right
:sad:
we might have to stick of what we are doing in the moment
asking direct specific people for page updates (DCT guides) and then i translate that to the wiki
in the long run we might get people to step up
i really hope so, as this is costing me a ton of time
(which then i do not have for PR and Marketing !)

fible1 - great, thanks for volunteering, I'll create the page in a few hours when I get home so that you can fill it up with the valuable information

crowning - thanks for the great suggestion, I agree that a list of the top to-do items could help narrowing down where contribution is most needed.
I also completely agree with you saying that as a dev you have no time to update wiki pages. This is what I'm trying to achieve in the long run - the more time devs have to actually code, the faster we will progress. On the other hand, it would be awesome if new features would be somewhat documented (how to vote, etc), and most likely only a dev will be able to make the initial documentation. I'm counting on you in this regard :)

tungfa - I interpreted what crowning said in a different way. It's not that we have to do it the way we did until now, as it is clearly unsustainable and ineffective. It's just that my initial approach to solving this issue was clearly lacking, and I need to work on it. Anyway, let's wait for more feedback before we draw a hasty conclusion.

fible1 - great, thanks for volunteering, I'll create the page in a few hours when I get home so that you can fill it up with the valuable information

crowning - thanks for the great suggestion, I agree that a list of the top to-do items could help narrowing down where contribution is most needed.
I also completely agree with you saying that as a dev you have no time to update wiki pages. This is what I'm trying to achieve in the long run - the more time devs have to actually code, the faster we will progress. On the other hand, it would be awesome if new features would be somewhat documented (how to vote, etc), and most likely only a dev will be able to make the initial documentation. I'm counting on you in this regard :)

tungfa - I interpreted what crowning said in a different way. It's not that we have to do it the way we did until now, as it is clearly unsustainable and ineffective. It's just that my initial approach to solving this issue was clearly lacking, and I need to work on it. Anyway, let's wait for more feedback before we draw a hasty conclusion.

Balu,
Thanks for that, just tell me how to log in and I'm good to go.

If possible I would find it interesting to write a section about staying safe in the crypto world in general (not talking about any person or company in a negative way, just general advice) vis a vis identifying reputable exchanges, trading partners, investments, avoiding ponzi schemes, etc.

Pablo.

fible1 volunteered for the basic and advanced security measures pages, thanks a lot.

For quality purposes, and due to the limitations of Confluence an additional layer was added to the workflow, so such pages will be editable on the Community space, and will be moved to the Official Documentation after review. We'll see how it works out. If it doesn't, we adjust.

I will soon come up with a list of topics that should be treated with priority, but from the top of my head I'd say we have to start with the core features of Darkcoin:

InstantX
Darksend
DGW
Decentralized governance
Masternode network
X11

We'd need a description of the features above so that a newcomer will be able to understand what they stand for.

TanteStefana - sorry to ask, but how is the information you posted here relevant to this topic? :)

Back