• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Addnode in darkcoin.conf

stonehedge

Foundation Member
Can anybody tell me what the benefit of including similar to the following in your darkcoin.conf files?

Addnode= XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Addnode= YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY
Addnode= ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ

I can see from the documentation that this attempts to keep connections alive to the specified nodes...but why is this beneficial?

Would I see some form of benefit if I references to each of my masternodes within each of their darkcoin.conf files?

From what I can tell, darkcoind runs fine as a masternode with no addnode entries. So why do people include them?

Can anybody tell me what the benefit of including similar to the following in your darkcoin.conf files?

Addnode= XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Addnode= YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY
Addnode= ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ

I can see from the documentation that this attempts to keep connections alive to the specified nodes...but why is this beneficial?

Would I see some form of benefit if I references to each of my masternodes within each of their darkcoin.conf files?

From what I can tell, darkcoind runs fine as a masternode with no addnode entries. So why do people include them?
The addnode entries in the documentation are a legacy of the time when darkcoin had problems bootstrapping from seed nodes. This has been fixed some time ago, so for the vast majority of users addnode entries are not necessary anymore.

Nevertheless there are still usecases where you would like to use addnode entries, e.g. if you are using proxy servers (like tor) which do not forward DNS requests and thus your wallet cannot communicate with the dnsseeder.

Thanks mate. A clear and concise explanation.

I'm wondering whether there is anything to be gained by adding my masternodes to each other's conf files. I can't think of a way that would be beneficial...

Back