• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre Proposal: Dash Across America Crypto Only Promotional Road Trip

UPDATE: We may be travelling with the Dash Soda Machine during our tour! This will enable us to demonstrate the quickness and potential of Dash at our stops and meetups! SUB-UPDATE - At this point, this is a big maybe.

UPDATE #2: Evan Duffield, founder of Dash, will be joining us at JackFest. We will do a one on one in depth interview and also see about putting on a talk about Dash with him!!!

UPDATE #3: I have started compiling responses to concerns I am hearing from community members at the bottom of the proposal.

UPDATE #4: The Dash decals for the bus have been sent to the printer. We are excited to put them on the bus and will send pictures as soon as they are up!

UPDATE #5: We are looking to hire someone to help produce, upload, and publish our SovereignBTC podcasts on Lets Talk Bitcoin while we are on the road. Our intention is to pay that person one Dash for every podcast they upload. If you know anyone that might be interested let us know! This will be a great way to get some Dash commerce flowing during our tour and demonstrate it's ease of use!

UPDATE #6: We will be using Dash to pay the person who is managing Brave New Books in our stead! This will allow us to use the currency often and will give us an example of the how quick and reliable Dash truly is. Plus it will create a new Dash user and proponent.

PROPOSAL IS LIVE

Cross post from: https://www.dashwhale.org/p/dash-across-america

Hello Dash community, my name is John Bush and I'm asking for your YES vote on the proposal below.

Who are we?

I'm the host of the SovereignBTC podcast on the LetsTalkBitcoin Network and Partner and General Manager of Brave New Books, the first brick and mortar in the State of Texas to accept bitcoin and as far as we know, the first brick and mortar in the country to accept Dash. We will also soon be hosting a Dash accepting soda machine!!! I am a big fan of Dash because of it's focus on privacy and it's innovative take on decentralized and autonomous governance.

My wife, Catherine Bleish (AKA The Bit Mom who is a former writer for Bitcoin Magazine, Coin Telegraph, and Money & Tech) and I, along with our two kids are embarking on our fourth crypto only cross country promotional road trip. On this trip we are traveling in our converted school bus, known as the Bitcoin.com bus. This time around, in addition to using bitcoin, we will also be using and promoting Dash.

Where are we going?

On this tour, which begins on July 27th and ends September 7th, 2016, we will depart from Austin, TX and head to Arizona's Jackalope Freedom Festival, an event which is in it's fifth year and regularly attracts hundreds of crypto and liberty enthusiasts. From there we will head to San Diego, then Los Angeles, back through Las Vegas and on to Denver, Colorado. We'll then stop through Kansas City and then head to Alabama for the Rethinking Everything Conference, a gathering of conscious and unschooling families, many of whom are familiar with crypto cureency due to previous exposure and speeches my wife and I have given at previous RE conferences. After RE, we will return to Austin, TX and get back to work at Brave New Books.

How will Dash benefit?

In each city we visit we will be attending bitcoin meetups and hosting events of our own. We expect 20 to 50 people will be at each meetup and around 500 people will be at Jackalope and 200 or more at Rethinking Everything. At the meetups and conferences we will be handing out literature, swag, and talking with attendees one on one. Our goal is to have over 100 people setup their first Dash wallet and we will supply them with a small amount of Dash to get them started. We will also be reaching out to business owners along the way and encourage them to begin accepting Dash in exchange for goods and services. By engaging in one on one discourse with meetup and conference attendees we will be able to thoroughly share the benefits and innovations that Dash brings to the table.

How will we get the word out?

The tour will be documented on various crypto media outlets and through my SovereignBTC podcast on LetsTalkBitcoin.com which reaches tens of thousands of listeners. On my podcast I will also document my experience with the Masternode Budget process. Additionally, we will be writing articles for and will be featured in a number of bitcoin and liberty related media. We will also publish press releases and reach out to traditional media contacts to garner earned media about crypto currency and Dash specifically.

We have reserved a prominent space on the back of our bus for the Dash logo and URL where it will be seen by tens of thousands people as we travel over 4800 miles through 13 states.

After our tour is completed, Dash will be used and recognized by many more people and adoption will have increased immensely.

PROPOSAL IS LIVE

We are asking for 700 Dash.

Monies will be used for travel expenses (Gas, Food, Campground Stays), podcast production, and some Dash will be given to enthusiastic people who setup their first wallet. We will also use Dash with businesses and vendors who agree to begin accepting the currency or who already do.

Thanks,

John Bush

Manually vote YES on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 07442bd0a8272d408401a8275eeca752034fb1d5e1424a6dfd2f539b6fd528e5 yes

OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 07442bd0a8272d408401a8275eeca752034fb1d5e1424a6dfd2f539b6fd528e5 yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 07442bd0a8272d408401a8275eeca752034fb1d5e1424a6dfd2f539b6fd528e5 no

OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 07442bd0a8272d408401a8275eeca752034fb1d5e1424a6dfd2f539b6fd528e5 no

Our Itinerary:

Screen_Shot_2016-07-16_at_11.25.58_PM.png

Episode of SovereignBTC with Daniel Diaz on the decentralized governance infrastructure behind Dash:

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/sovereignbtc-53-daniel-diaz

SovereignBTC podcasts:

http://sovereignbtc.com

Podcast Playlist from our last trip out West (over 118k listens!):
https://soundcloud.com/sovereignbtc/sets/uncoinventional-living-tour-1

Brave New Books Now Accepts Dash:

First Dash Transaction at Brave New Books:

Highlights of media coverage our previous crypto only road trips have garnered:

This Family is Road Tripping Using Only Bitcoin
https://www.yahoo.com/style/tech-nerd-tuesday-this-family-is-road-tripping-using-89684772802.html

Bitcoin Boulevard becomes a popular stop in Bitcoin tourism
http://www.cleveland.com/cleveland-heights/index.ssf/2014/07/bitcoin_boulevard_becomes_a_po.html

US Family Embarks on 3rd ‘Uncoinventional’ Bitcoin-Only Tour
http://cointelegraph.com/news/us-family-completes-3rd-uncoinventional-bitcoin-only-tour

“Uncoinventional” Family of Four Begins Bitcoin-Only Holiday Road Trip
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/article...ins-bitcoin-only-holiday-road-trip-1415921730

Bitcoin Bus Tour Launches from Keene!
http://freekeene.com/2015/04/18/bitcoin-bus-tour-launches-fom-keene/

Driving Bitcoin Adoption: Family Documents Second BTC-Only Road Trip
http://cointelegraph.com/news/driving-bitcoin-adoption-family-documents-second-btc-only-road-trip

Family Goes on Vacation with Only Bitcoin as Funds
http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/04/16/family-goes-on-vacation-with-only-bitcoin-as-funds/

Family Puts Bitcoin to the Test by Touring the US With Only Bitcoin to Spend
http://www.coinbuzz.com/2015/04/15/family-puts-bitcoin-test-touring-us-bitcoin-spend/

Family to Travel Across the US, Spending Only Bitcoin
http://www.coindesk.com/family-travel-across-us-spending-bitcoin/

“Uncoinventional Living Tour” Takes Activist Family from Texas to New Hampshire Using Only Bitcoin
http://truthinmedia.com/uncoinventi...om-texas-to-new-hampshire-using-only-bitcoin/

ADDRESSING COMMUNITY CONCERNS:

There have been some concerns raised that we are seeking Dash funds while also promoting bitcoin and ether. I would like to address that concern with the following five points:

1. The vision for our uncoinventional crypto only road trips is an empowered general public and liberty/crypto community that incorporates crypto currency and decentralized technology in to their daily lives. As activists we have always been about furthering the overall goal of building a free society through voluntary decentralized means. As such, we support most all crypto currencies be they Dash, Bitcoin, or Ether.

2. We chose to call this trip, our fourth, Dash Across America, as we focused exclusively on bitcoin on previous trips and want to educate people already aware of bitcoin about Dash. We also want to promote Dash on this tour as the Masternode budgeting system is an excellent example of decentralized voluntary governance in action, and it works!

3. We travel using crypto only and at this point in Dash's development it would be next to impossible to travel using Dash only as the businesses and servicea accepting Dash are minimal at this time, especially when it comes to travel. This is why we feel the need to promote Dash im depth on this go around as there is a demand for Dash acceptance and we want to help further adoption by encouraging business to consider accepting it in exchane for goods and services. On our very first bitcoin only tour it was much harder than our last. We'd like to think our activism played a role in highlighting market needs that entrepreneurs later filled.

4. We have received donations from Roger Ver's bitcoin.com and other crypto and decentralized tech companies. Dash will not be footing the bill to promote other currencies.

5. What better audience to communicate the benefits of Dash to than people already using crypto! By using and promoting bitcoin, we are attracting an audience ripe for Dash adoption. We are making it a point to setup at least 100 people with their first Dash wallet. Many of these people will already be bitcoin users.

I hope these four points alleviate some of the community concerns. Please comment below if you have any more questions or concerns.

Last edited:
Hi John, I think this is a great idea we could have Dash representation in several events and introduce Dash to a lot of people in a very original way.

I think this is the kind of thing that may have a chance making it to mainstream media a family taveling together using crypto sends a positive message.

I am happy that a true libertarian like you with a track record in crypto sees the potential Dash has to make a difference. This would be a cool way to promote Dash you have my support.

Hey, this sounds great.

Two questions:

1. A lot of your previous material focused on BTC. Will this trip be promoting BTC and Dash. Or, just Dash?
2. Can you commit to keeping the forum up to date with any publicity you receive? i.e. media articles etc.

Thanks.

Hey, this sounds great.

Two questions:

1. A lot of your previous material focused on BTC. Will this trip be promoting BTC and Dash. Or, just Dash?
2. Can you commit to keeping the forum up to date with any publicity you receive? i.e. media articles etc.

Thanks.

1. This tour will be promoting BTC, Dash, and also Ether. However, the emphasis will be on Bitcoin and Dash and if we are successful in this proposal, we will go out of our way to make sure Dash has an impact on everyone we encounter and every event we attend. Dash will be the only currency we are giving out to new users and businesses that are already accepting bitcoin will be encouraged to accept Dash.

2. Yes, we will update the forums regularly with trip updates and any media coverage we receive during and after the tour.

1. This tour will be promoting BTC, Dash, and also Ether. However, the emphasis will be on Bitcoin and Dash and if we are successful in this proposal, we will go out of our way to make sure Dash has an impact on everyone we encounter and every event we attend. Dash will be the only currency we are giving out to new users and businesses that are already accepting bitcoin will be encouraged to accept Dash.

2. Yes, we will update the forums regularly with trip updates and any media coverage we receive during and after the tour.

I'm 50/50 on this one. Sounds like a crypto promotion tour, not a Dash promotion tour.

I'm 50/50 on this one. Sounds like a crypto promotion tour, not a Dash promotion tour.

Previous tours have been about bitcoin only however on this tour we wanted to branch out and promote more than just bitcoin. We chose to call the tour Dash Across America as a means of introducing people to Dash. As usual, we encourage the growth of crypto currency adoption in general and in this trip we chose to focus on our favorite three currencies. As most people we encounter already know about bitcoin, much of the discussion will be aimed at teaching people new and exciting things like Dash's DAO and masternode system.

We are open to any advice on how to best educate people about why Dash should be important to them.

Thanks for your interest.

Hello John,
I find it very nice initiative and interesting form of promotion. Thank you for willing to promote Dash :) - you can count on our support with this.
Feel free to re-use our marketing materials if needed: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Marketing+Materials (I am planning to update presentations section soon)
I guess that the latest version of our handout might be helpful: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Dash+Handout - we are going to use it on d10e

Good luck with the proposal!

PS. I hope some day in the future your tour goal will be mainly to promote Dash :)

I don't think DASH should pay to promote ETH and BTC. How much are their blockchains chipping in? Oh, wait, they can't even do that...

I don't think DASH should pay to promote ETH and BTC. How much are their blockchains chipping in? Oh, wait, they can't even do that...
I appreciate your sentiment. We have received a significant donation from bitcoin.com. We also reached out to the Ethereum Foundation but have not heard back. To tie the currencies together, we are getting support from ShapeShift.io which we will use to exchange between the three curremcies we will be using. We are also sponsored by Cell411, a peer to peer security and mutual aid app as well as from Arcade City, a decentralized ride sharing company we will be using in the major cities to get to the meetups.

This chunk of Dash will allow our trip to be fully funded and wil pay for the extension of our tour so we can make it to Rethinking Everything.

As i said in a previous reply, we have already done the bitcoin only thing and are excited to try out Dash and Ether as we travel. Especially Dash, which is why the tour is called Dash Across America. If we receive no support from Ethereum companies or their Foundation, they will likely play a minor role in the tour.

How much are their blockchains chipping in? Oh, wait, they can't even do that...
We will definitely be documenting and promoting the autonomous nature of Dash's masternode budgeting process, something that sets it apart from all the other crypto currencies. Ill be podcasting about it, we'll write articles about it, and will share our experience and knowledge on the subject at meetups and the two comferences we are attending.

Great initiative and thanks for being a Dash ambassador.

It takes alot of time and effort to do something like this, especially with kids. I just hope you spend a large percentage of the time raising awareness about Dash!

Few questions:

1) Does the 700 Dash you are asking for include the costs for print and signage for the back of your bus? (got a size estimate, i.e the entire back of the bus, a 1ft sticker? etc)

2) Do you think 2nd time round you would get the same/less/more amount of media exposure especially when its already been "done" before?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Awesome, I think we need the proposal and action like you`re going to do.
I`m happy to vote yes once the proposal is live.
Wish you luck with this and would be happy to see the bus with the BIG DASH LOGO on it :)

Wish you luck with this and would be happy to see the bus with the BIG DASH LOGO on it :)
Great initiative and thanks for being a Dash ambassador.

It takes alot of time and effort to do something like this, especially with kids. I just hope you spend a large percentage of the time raising awareness about Dash!

Few questions:

1) Does the 700 Dash you are asking for include the costs for print and signage for the back of your bus? (got a size estimate, i.e the entire back of the bus, a 1ft sticker? etc)

2) Do you think 2nd time round you would get the same/less/more amount of media exposure especially when its already been "done" before?

Thanks!
1. We will be covering the cost of printing and applying the logo to the bus. I do need someone to send me a vector image of the logo for me to send to our printer. Will prolly go on the back window and will be three feet wide or so and a foot tall. I think that is the best spot for it. We may find a better spot tho.

2. I think it will garner the same or more because we are promoting other currencies and we will be traveling in the newly renovated bitcoin.com bus which we will be promoting to tiny home blogs and media outlets. We also haven't been on a trip like this all year and have been working hard in Austin at our bookstore so we are motivated to make a big splash.

Next step is I need some guidance on how to broadcast the proposal to the Dash network. I set up a proposal on Dash whale and have the info I need to send through the network, just need to know how to send it. Is this something I do through the QT client? If so, how?

I will be doing some podcasting with information about how to go about executing a proposal as well as documenting my experience. Hopefully it will be a good reference for people in the future.

Next step is I need some guidance on how to broadcast the proposal to the Dash network. I set up a proposal on Dash whale and have the info I need to send through the network, just need to know how to send it. Is this something I do through the QT client? If so, how?

I will be doing some podcasting with information about how to go about executing a proposal as well as documenting my experience. Hopefully it will be a good reference for people in the future.

Nice this is good stuff grass roots I fully support, the dash whale site submitted your proposal to the network, it is live now get some voters. That was easy right, however the budgeting system will be changing a bit shortly so you might not want to spend too much time on a video for it.

I will be direct shipping you some DASH merchandise from Zazzle. I hope you will give each person that creates a DASH wallet with you some DASH SWAG. Drive safe out there

https://dashninja.pl/budgetdetails.html?budgetid=dash-across-america

1 - Next possible super-block 515096 (est. August 5, 2016 at 10:09:16 AM EDT, 2 weeks 4 days 17 hours 8 minutes 59 seconds from now

PROPOSAL IS LIVE! PLEASE VOTE TODAY.

Dashwhale Post: https://www.dashwhale.org/p/dash-across-america

Manually vote YES on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 07442bd0a8272d408401a8275eeca752034fb1d5e1424a6dfd2f539b6fd528e5 yes

OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 07442bd0a8272d408401a8275eeca752034fb1d5e1424a6dfd2f539b6fd528e5 yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 07442bd0a8272d408401a8275eeca752034fb1d5e1424a6dfd2f539b6fd528e5 no

OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 07442bd0a8272d408401a8275eeca752034fb1d5e1424a6dfd2f539b6fd528e5 no

1. We will be covering the cost of printing and applying the logo to the bus. I do need someone to send me a vector image of the logo for me to send to our printer. Will prolly go on the back window and will be three feet wide or so and a foot tall. I think that is the best spot for it. We may find a better spot tho.

If you didn't see it yet there is a vector graphic on the promo graphics page..
https://www.dash.org/promotional-graphics/

Back