• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Newbie with some questions

DA767

So today is my first time mining any crypto currency and I would appreciate if some of you all could answer my questions.

1. I am mining using my laptop amd cpu: A8-7410 APU (up to 2.5Ghz quad core) and im using the darkcoin cpu miner as the mining software. I am getting around 100KH/s with ~67C cpu temp and the mining software is only using ~60% of my overall cpu power. So thoughts? (good/bad?)

2. I am mining apart of a P2Pool node which is projecting my "time to share" at ~8 days and under predicted payout there says "no shares yet". What exactly does this mean. Also the pool has a 0.5% fee, is it better to be apart of the pool or mine solo?

3. Is it safe to mine using both cpu and gpu power on the same pc, possible heat isshues? if its not safe which would you recommend mining with?

4. When I close my laptop for the night will my contributions to the pool "be saved" so to speak?

EDIT: I am also getting 0.00% rejected hashrate after running for about an hour

DA767...

I'm sry to see you have no replies for newbie questions...
I hope to get started with a minimal mining rig in the near future.
It shall be low power, mostly for learning/entertainment value when I am able to get started,
yet I've never had reservations about purchasing better power tools when they brought a return.

I'm also on a search for a really cheap Gridseed 5chip miner I can run with a Pi 3 as a coffee table curiosity. :)

I hope your project has progressed !
rc

He asked in this threat https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/mining-dash-worth-it.8992/
So i think thats the reason why nobody answered :)

Well TNX, alexander !
I shall track down that doubled posting to see his progress...
I'm Interested because I'll be running an A8-7600 with an R7-250 on the lowest power settings for effective use.

Already plenty Hot, here... I don't need even more heat going out the stack !

cooling-tower-of-the-nuclear-power-plant-leibstadt-switzerland-canton-e7c3pf.jpg

Gosh, that alamy outfit sure is insistent with their watermark ! lol
rc

@DA767 i will try to give you some answers anyway :)

1. Your laptop with 100 KH/s has definitive not enough hashing power to mine DASH directly. You need a X11 ASIC miner to mine some DASH at the moment.

2. You get a reward for your shares you sent to the mining pool. More shares = more coins from the block reward. The block reward will be proportioned on basis of the shares sent by the miners.

If the time to share is 8 days you need 8 days till you send a share to the pool.

The payout is precalculated by the shares you sent, so if you didn't send any shares (no shares yet) your payout prediction is 0.

If you have enough mining power it is better to solo mine because you don't have to pay a fee to the pool operator, you get always the full block reward and if you are lucky you will find more blocks than mining at a pool. But this isn't possible in your case. First you don't have enough mining power for solo mining and second DASH can not be solo mined anymore.

3. Maybe your laptop is getting hot if cpu and gpu are working full load 24/7.

4. Usually mining is 24/7 job, if you are not mining continuously the shares you send to the pool are save and will be rewarded.

Excellent presentation in Post #5 by alexander ! Thank you !!!

At this very moment I have a crashed LT beside me, which I had used for the longest time as my principal machine.
They are NOT designed for 24/7/365 runtime. > MY < cooling fan has died. It's been plugged up with dust and blown out FAR too many times !
(It is NOT a simple task to replace the sole cooling fan in a laptop ! )
ATX sized cases are much easier to work on.

I'm discovering there's too much money involved in the Crypto Big 5, and novelty mining of the lesser coins with minimal hardware will be a pay-to-play sort of game, for the most part.

YMMV
rc

Back