• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Reusable Addresses?

cstevens

Hi,

I think a lot about the practical use of paper bills for use as crypto currency exchange. I'm attracted to Dash, specifically, for the speed of transactions and the privacy inherent in the blockchain.

When I think about a world where people can put a bill in their wallet and exchange Dash I think about doing the least amount of effort possible. I "get" change addresses and so forth. Honestly, many people have hard time wrapping their head around all that.

"Don't be so obtuse," some may say, "why would you want to pack around paper when users may use their phones, etc.?" The answer is, in short, "the old and the paranoid (or both). Neither the 40+ generation nor the paranoid trust their phones. They 'get' cold storage and the idea of paper money to make transactions, though.

I think people would like to have piece of mind knowing that they can simply hand a bill (or extend their hand featuring an NFC ring) to another person, have them scan it, and have change posted back to the original payer's address. By doing that they may keep the same bill in their wallet or purse for an indefinite length of time.

The closest thing I've found to date is BIP 47. I have to ask myself, "why put a multi-use address wrapper against a long-transaction time & traceable currency when we may be able to just have multi-use addresses with Dash?"

So, are multi-use addresses possible with Dash?

Can someone explain this to me please. You want to create a fixed amount withdrawal on paper? How is that possible without blocking that person from withdrawing a second time? I'm sure I've misunderstood this, please elaborate.

Can someone explain this to me please. You want to create a fixed amount withdrawal on paper? How is that possible without blocking that person from withdrawing a second time? I'm sure I've misunderstood this, please elaborate.

The BIP 47 address is multi-use; as I understand it you can pay out and receive to the same address pair as many times as you like. The bill, then, would act as a kind of physical marker that you just carry in your wallet. The withdrawals and posts to the address are variable so the bill would not have a fixed amount printed on it. The bill is also not on your phone and therefore (at least theoretically) more secure.

When you want to send or receive funds, you just show it to someone whom you wish to pay or receive funds from. Of course there are details about keeping the private portion safe (Shamir shared key algorithms come to mind) but that's the general idea.

A fixed address would need all sorts of bizarre rules to try and stop someone withdrawing twice... crypto was meant to be trustless... might as well just use the existing payment request standard

Last edited by a moderator:
A fixed address would need all sorts of bizarre rules to try and stop someone withdrawing twice... crypto was meant to be trustless... might as well just use the existing payment request standard

I think BIP 47 proposes exactly one payment code for multiple transactions. Notice how child keys are created dynamically for the transaction:

reusable_payment_codes-04.png

Here's the flow for a third payment made to the same original public address:

reusable_payment_codes-05.png

It appears the spec is "following the chain" of sub keys to perform the transaction.

The spec is here.

I think BIP 47 proposes exactly one payment code for multiple transactions. Notice how child keys are created dynamically for the transaction:

View attachment 2397

Here's the flow for a third payment made to the same original public address:

reusable_payment_codes-05.png

It appears the spec is "following the chain" of sub keys to perform the transaction.

The spec is here.

Tbh, I don't understand it enough or how, in practical terms, this would work with a paper bill.

A multi-use permanent public address with some embedded technology may give us air-gapped spending coins:

coin_ortho.png

Back