• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash talk at Madrid Bitcoin Meetup

fernando

Powered by Dash
Foundation Member
On April 8th I'll be talking Dash to the Madrid Bitcoin Community at Google Campus. It will last a couple of hours, so I will try to do an overview to everything and then Q&A.

A bit more info and details to assist here:
https://www.eventbrite.es/e/entradas-dash-digital-cash-24229157061

The talk will be in English. If someone is around, please write me, I love to meet people from the community in real life :smile:

The presentation went great. In the end the presentation was in Spanish because all people in the room spoke Spanish, but part of the Q&A was in English (around min 40 in video) because two people arrived later that were not comfortable in Spanish.

The video:
https://plus.google.com/events/cv5ianc39tj5mm27aaugmmbdrtk

The presenation:
http://prezi.com/yn2rffmoavm2/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

Most of them were really interested in Dash and they made a lot of questions. After the Q&A we still talked for around one more hour.

There was only one guy that was kinda negative. I usually like to listen to the negatives more because many times they have good reasons. Besides the typical arguments (it is easy to do this at your size, bitcoin/someone-else could copy all this...) he said something that could hold some truth on first sight. He said we didn't grow as a community. I know for a fact this is not accurate because we get many new people, here and in many of the other outlets. However, many of those do not show up because they are private channels (slack, telegram, Chinese groups in QQ...). Even when those new members of the community show up in more public places, I think that maybe we are intimidating them and they participate less.

So I want to encourage everyone to bring new people in to the community. And to those who are already here to please take part in the conversation! Please don't feel intimidated or scared to post if you don't know, there area many nice people here who will gladly answer any doubt :smile:

FfITcxT.jpg

Great job, fernando !

he said something that could hold some truth on first sight. He said we didn't grow as a community. I know for a fact this is not accurate because we get many new people, here and in many of the other outlets. However, many of those do not show up because they are private channels (slack, telegram, Chinese groups in QQ...). Even when those new members of the community show up in more public places, I think that maybe we are intimidating them and they participate less.
Even I don't have access to the full forum statistics to get info about how many users join every day, I wonder where he got his numbers from :rolleyes:
Public stats are quite awesome imo:
Forum Statistics
Discussions: 6,139
Members: 4,222
Member #4222 joined today.
And btw, we are about to hit 6000 pages on bitcointalk :eek:
I doubt he can find that many crypto besides Bitcoin itself with such an active community so I'd consider this to be FUD :wink:

EDIT:
bitcointalk stats: 119333 replies, 6047786 views - top thread in both "replies" and "views" in Altcoins section with 2x/3x advantage respectively over the next thread.
So yeah, tell me about it :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job, fernando !

Even I don't have access to the full forum statistics to get info about how many users join every day, I wonder where he got his numbers from :rolleyes:
Public stats are quite awesome imo:

Member #4222 joined today.
And btw, we are about to hit 6000 pages on bitcointalk :eek:
I doubt he can find that many crypto besides Bitcoin itself with such an active community so I'd consider this to be FUD :wink:

EDIT:
bitcointalk stats: 119333 replies, 6047786 views - top thread in both "replies" and "views" in Altcoins section with 2x/3x advantage respectively over the next thread.
So yeah, tell me about it :cool:
I don't think he was using any numbers at all :wink:

I don't need to agree that we get new users everyday because it is a fact! However, community is one of the things I look at when analyzing any project. If the perception out there is that it is always the same gang of loyal people talking to each other, then I don't like it! This guy was a naysayer, but he knew his stuff. We talked about a few other projects and he was into many of them. Anyway, just a comment, I probably should not read too much into it :smile:

I don't think he was using any numbers at all :wink:

I don't need to agree that we get new users everyday because it is a fact! However, community is one of the things I look at when analyzing any project. If the perception out there is that it is always the same gang of loyal people talking to each other, then I don't like it! This guy was a naysayer, but he knew his stuff. We talked about a few other projects and he was into many of them. Anyway, just a comment, I probably should not read too much into it :smile:
Alright, cool :)

Just to give you some more numbers to have some overview:

May, 2015
Forum Statistics
Discussions: 3,600
Members: 2,866
https://web.archive.org/web/20150512201252/https://dashtalk.org/
or
Discussions: +2539
Members: +1356
So yeah, it slowed down a bit (I guess mostly because many are now chatting on Slack and using forum as a ... forum :grin:) but it's a nice "tail" if you ask me :smile:

A note for Russian folks: use VPN, archive.org is blocked in Russia.

Nice one Fernando, a physics teacher once said to me that he had explained a particular area of difficult Physics for 17 years and never really got it himself, and he only just understood it when he was explaining it to us lot in the class - think it was our questions that finally did it for him.In time more will understand how this works but its early doors yet.

Nice one Fernando, a physics teacher once said to me that he had explained a particular area of difficult Physics for 17 years and never really got it himself, and he only just understood it when he was explaining it to us lot in the class - think it was our questions that finally did it for him.In time more will understand how this works but its early doors yet.
Can you remember what that was that he didn't understand? I'm curious.

On another note. Is the video publicly available onon YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back