• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Budget Proposal: Peter Todd to review Instant X?

Should DASH pay Peter Todd to review Instant X?

• Hell Yeah

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Fuck no

Votes: 36 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted yes, because I liked the idea of audit and didn't know much about Peter Todd. However after reading through all posts in this thread, I understand that hiring Mr. Todd is out of the question. I still like the idea of auditing the code. Oaxaca provided a nice list of people who might be interested in the task. If they won't respond, we can contact other universities. There are many reputable universities with strong CS departments. Maybe one of them will agree to review the InstantX. If we managed to get the audit done and the final report isn't negative, It would give Dash a massive boost for both; marketing and security reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted yes, because I liked the idea of audit and didn't know much about Peter Todd. However after reading through all posts in this thread, I understand that hiring Mr. Todd is out of the question. I still like the idea of auditing the code. Oaxaca provided a nice list of people who might be interested in the task. If they won't respond, we can contact other universities. There are many reputable universities with strong CS departments. Maybe one of them will agree to review the InstantX. If we managed to get the audit done and the final report won't be negative, It would give Dash a massive boost for both; marketing and security reasons.

I agree. I think seeking an audit from a university could work way better. Just seems much more legit and less susceptible to bias. I would imagine there would be some universities that would jump at the opportunity.

For those concerned about the vote. It was just to get a clear picture of people's stance. 50 50 at best is pretty bad, and it does not mean anything more then a measure of people's positions.

should somebody check with evan and the Dev's about this
(incl timelines) before putting this out on twitter ?

"#DASH is looking to hire someone to review the #InstantX code."
?!?
are we ?
as far as i see it that vote up there said 31 Fuxx No

Agreed. It is too close to a major upgrade in tech to have us spend money and time with this. Why does that sound so "official" ?

For those concerned about the vote. It was just to get a clear picture of people's stance. 50 50 at best is pretty bad, and it does not mean anything more then a measure of people's positions.

I love the idea, just certainly not Reverend Todd. If we do this I propose we're absolutely sure the person in case to be a reputed, not just a high profile personality.

Heck, I 'd prefer a "Super Dash Me" with A.A. than P.Todd. We give him a MN + month expenses and have him go through the whole process of setting up an MN, trying ou DarkSend, IX, DGbB, DAPI an Evo etc... Not a suggestion, just making a case against the Toddster.

Agreed. It is too close to a major upgrade in tech to have us spend money and time with this. Why does that sound so "official" ?

it doesn't,
but it sounds like we are looking for somebody to review the code now
:wink:

it doesn't,
but it sounds like we are looking for somebody to review the code now
:wink:
To be fair, if we are serious about the audit, we should start looking now. Finding the right researcher who will agree to perform the audit for DASH can take some time. Also We don't have to do the audit straight away. we can wait until the v12.1 gets rolled out.

Agreed. But bear in mind that the question asked in this poll consists out of two questions:
1. Should there be a review of Instant X
2. Should Peter Todd do the review

I can image lots of voters would be happy to see a review of Instant X, but not by Peter Todd. Neither 'hell yeah' nor 'fuck no' covers a response to that, we might see a clearer picture once these voters are able to express their concerns in numbers

Now that V12.1 is up on testnet, I would like to bump this topic to see if we should start looking around again for a code auditor.
Is anyone familiar with John Conner from VCash? He seems to know his way around the Bitcoin core code. He's rumored to have found exploits in Peercoin as well as Monero. His current VCash project looks to be a worthy competitor to Dash.
edit: He's done a review of InstantX already, according to his whitepaper.
http://vanillacoin.net/papers/zerotime.pdf

Last edited:
Back