• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The mixing needs to be more intuitive

InTheWoods

Foundation Member
People seem to think mixing doesn't work unless they see a 100% complete message. The system needs to be more intuitive. Even 75% mixing or lower than that should suffice but no way for users to know that.

upload_2016-3-17_17-15-11.png

Good point, maybe it should read 85% of balance available to DarkSend? Sometimes all the change and dust in the wallet needs to be combined.

Good point, maybe it should read 85% of balance available to DarkSend? Sometimes all the change and dust in the wallet needs to be combined.

Does Darksend ever combine the outputs from multiple addresses on its own? I suspect not because that would link those addresses.

It would also mean: if you have addresses with only small amounts on them, then Darksend wont anonymize them, which leads to your second sentence: to get those amounts anonymized you need to manually combine them into one address with a high enough balance for Darksend to process, taking care to preserve anonymity using your knowledge of how these addresses were used (which Darksend cant know).

I am assuming that Darksend will combine the output of multiple transactions to the same address, e.g. mining income, since this wouldnt reduce anonymity.

Is this correct?

No, DS progress is a much more complex indicator
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 21.06.12.png

There is a separate label for "Darksend Balance":
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 21.06.00.png

I agree though that this might look confusing, suggestions are welcome! :)

Does Darksend ever combine the outputs from multiple addresses on its own? I suspect not because that would link those addresses.

It would also mean: if you have addresses with only small amounts on them, then Darksend wont anonymize them, which leads to your second sentence: to get those amounts anonymized you need to manually combine them into one address with a high enough balance for Darksend to process, taking care to preserve anonymity using your knowledge of how these addresses were used (which Darksend cant know).

I am assuming that Darksend will combine the output of multiple transactions to the same address, e.g. mining income, since this wouldnt reduce anonymity.

Is this correct?

Not exactly. It does combine outputs from multiple addresses in initial transaction to create denominated outputs. These funds aren't meant to be "private" anyway: one day you would link them yourself trying to send "normal" transaction (without even knowing it) - that's how bitcoin works. But you the lowest number of DS rounds is 2 and this previous bitcoin-like link should be no longer easily traceable from DS spends.

OK, sorry for the derail and thanks for answering.

I agree about the indicator being confusing but the only idea I have right now is to remove the Completion bar, prioritise the Darksend balance because thats the important bit, and maybe just have some spinning indicator to show its working (with no % complete indication), leave the detailed mouseover info on the spinning indicator.

Back