• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: DashTrader.info Let's advertise by putting Dash back on the markets!

TL;DR (Version 0.1) A website for storing trade-by-trade data of Dash on its cryptocurrency exchanges. Funds will initially be used to offset hosting costs. By mid-June, DashTrader will be used to provide analytical data (think bitcoinwisdom.com) and news feeds based on stories that may influence Dash's price (but moreso analytics). I already have a product up and running for traders (so I'm 2 steps ahead of 90% of budget proposals), but I will take it offline if I can't procure funds to cover the hosting/download/upload costs of detailed trade data. 1300 Dash requested (one-time payment for past and future development).

DashTrader.info

Introduction

As Evan and other machine learning theorists know, some of the most effective classifiers must be trained on as much data as possible. Though many resources plot the movement of Dash and other cryptos, none of them are dedicated to Dash specifically, and there are little to no services that supply the exact amounts, times, and prices associated with each trade on each exchange. This type of high-granulation data is needed by crypto traders to train neural networks that react to market movements, however, it is also fairly expensive to host and is a rarity in the crypto community for this reason. Such data can be found for Bitcoin at api.bitcoincharts.com/v1/csv/, though to my knowledge no other crypto has this type of service due to its costs. Read: This would be a major plus for attracting algorithmic traders to trade Dash as opposed to other cryptos.

Trading?? Who cares about speculation?

Advertising proposals are common in Dash's monthly budget proposals. I am of the opinion that adoption of Dash will begin not with advertisements, but with traders. A meteoric price rise will do more for Dash's user adoption than any amount spent on advertising will. After the traders come the coders, entrepreneurs, and daily users. See Bitcoin, 2013.

Why would speculators buy Dash?

The real question is, why won't speculators buy Dash? Though Dash is #7 in overall market cap, it is not listed on any major exchanges, and is #14 in total trading volume. Part of this has to do with the masternode system (see below), but the rest of it falls on us. We really need to 1) Put Dash on a major exchange 2) Bait traders with highly-detailed data and analytical software. Beyond being just another Bitcoin-company-clone, DashTrader will (attempt to) offer sentiment analysis from community forums, as well as linking users' monthly profits with their OneName profile as a sort of "reputation system" for the financial world.

In July, Bitcoin is set to halve its block reward. The way I see it, either Bitcoin's price will double, or other cryptocurrencies will replace it. In the first case, I believe "rising tides raise all waters" and Dash will see an influx of trade volume (if it's on a major exchange). In the latter case in which Bitcoin fails, I think Dash has a shot at taking the throne of being the one, true, decentralized digital cash, even before Evolution is released. This is especially true given Ethereum's centralized approach and its desire to be a programmer's commodity.

Can speculation serve as advertisement?

Let me put it this way. As an algorithmic trader myself, I am confident that one price spike will draw more attention to Dash than any amount we spend on "marketing campaigns". What we need is high liquidity (i.e. many people and their bots buying and selling Dash).

What's interesting about Dash is that once true investors obtain Dash they don't sell it, because they can make a substantial return holding it as a masternode (especially if they expect Dash's price to rise). This is exactly the reason we were taken off of Bitfinex. However, it can also be the reason for a meteoric price explosion. The masternode system lays a pricewall at Dash's floor, so that the only volume it gets results in people buying it, and bots / day-traders selling it.

Since Dash has 1/3 as many coins as Bitcoin, it really won't take that much initial investment to spark a Dash price run. Want to know what is really going to get people's attention? Dash on the moon.

Do we really need a separate site for all of this?

Yes, the Dash ecosystem could use a dedicated analytics service. I also think it is a wise decision to separate price speculation from the overall Dash community. Not everyone wants to be bombarded with news over which way the price will go inside their community forum. Having an outlet to point traders to would be an overall benefit for the original Dash community.

Are you the one to make it?

dashtrader.info is currently logging data for 95% of Dash's current trade volume. You can easily poll the site to download trade data yourself. See dashtrader.info and compare it to api.bitcoincharts.com/v1/csv/

If you try downloading the files, be aware most of Dash's trade data is on poloniex with the DASHBTC pair. Downloading that file today and again tomorrow should prove to you that the website is updating automatically. Some pairs still have not received a trade since I started logging them and are empty files ("no file").

1300 Dash? That seems like not that much! Or maybe it seems like a lot! Also, isn't 13 unlucky?

As DashTrader evolves into an analytical software, I will likely put 100+ hours into developing this website over the next 2 months. Therefore, I find just under $6,000 worth of Dash (which could go up or down over those months) to be a reasonable request and in fact below minimum wage in my country. In return, I am asking that we do something useful with the remaining budget, such as pay an exchange to put Dash on its ticker before the bitcoin block halving in July. Specifically, we can message multiple exchanges simultaneously (BTC-E, Bitfinex, Kraken) and tell them that we are only willing to pay one of them and make a deal with whoever agrees first.

And no, 13 is my lucky number.

I do believe in Dash and that the Dash I earn through this proposal will pay itself off. I am also rushing to get this site done before the block reward halving in July so that we have something to bait traders with.

Please comment with concerns and opinions.

Thank you.

vote command:

dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 630ad70f8ef41abce7847ec84808f6914dc90af503e9d737a2cbf0e8227656e8 yes

I am also working on the: OpenBazaar Dash integration =) That's a separate thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I like your approach. I support this idea in theory. But 1300 Dash is a lot out of our budget. I think you should focus more on hosting and storage costs rather than development time, since this is such an easy project (at least the charting part of it). For example, I'm not comfortable spending our Dash budget on sentiment analysis of our forums, since I'm not sure if that really increases Dash's value that much.

How about 300 Dash? That should be enough for 4 months of storage, no?

Well, I have a question. Everybody is well aware that the success of any crypto project is measured in adoption. What is adoption, really? The DASH project is creating digital cash, which gets transferred between people in exchange for goods or services. The more DASH gets moved around in this way, the more successful the project will be. This is adoption.

People who want to use DASH will want to exchange their fiat for it. Does trading your USD/Euro/BTC for DASH count as adoption? I would say no, it enables adoption.

What about high frequency trading? If the DASH/BTC trading volume goes up by a factor of 10 or 100, is adoption increasing? I would say no.

oaxaca I think the more people we have looking at Dash, the more people who'll contribute to make it even better. Who's going to accept a currency they've never heard of?

Still, as a coder, this project feels a little overpriced... Though, I guess I'm happy to see a software project that's already underway... Looks like Koamp already has a nice start :smile:

oaxaca I think the more people we have looking at Dash, the more people who'll contribute to make it even better. Who's going to accept a currency they've never heard of?

Still, as a coder, this project feels a little overpriced... Though, I guess I'm happy to see a software project that's already underway... Looks like Koamp already has a nice start :smile:
Of course. Having DASH appear on more exchanges will allow more people to exchange whatever for DASH. How does enabling HFT accomplish this?

Of course. Having DASH appear on more exchanges will allow more people to exchange whatever for DASH. How does enabling HFT accomplish this?

We were taken off Bitfinex due to a lack of trade volume. We need a higher trade volume to remain on future exchanges. We have a crypto that is innately low-volume due to people hoarding for masternode rewards. We need to get put on an exchange and stay on an exchange because:

1) In 4 months, bitcoin's block reward will halve. Whether bitcoin collapses or it rises, a large amount of investment is going to trickle down into altcoins. The cryptocurrencies with the most amount of liquidity will see the most investment, because there is an increased cost to move money between exchanges. Additionally, liquidity is a function of the number of open orders on an orderbook. The more people trading the faster money moves. HFT is a plus. To make the most of this volume increase, Dash must prioritize its liquidity.

2) Because of Dash's unique masternode system, very few people will "cash out" their dash compared to the other cryptos that receive investment. This will cause Dash's price to rise dramatically, if we can make it liquid enough.

3) When Dash's price rises there will be a greater desire to own masternodes, causing the price to rise even more.

4) Dash's high price is free advertising. More people will want to accept Dash at their stores. Major news articles will run stories on Dash and Ethereum. VCs will invest in Dash-Fiat converters and other big money innovations etc etc etc

If Dash becomes as liquid as a typical top 10 crypto, it will benefit more than any other crypto would due to its unique structure. Right now it's #7 in total investment and #16 in liquidity. That needs to change eduffield. Please let me know if you need someone to reach out to exchanges, but we will need a portion of the budget to offer them surely.

You basically just asked, "How will allowing people to use Dash for XXX help increase Dash's adoption?" The answer is in the question. The more uses Dash has, the more valuable it becomes.

I do agree with you that adoption is important as well. I am working on another Dash project involving this but will have to stop both of these if I can't stay funded. I am a student with $240,00 in debt.

I really think Dash will get left behind if it doesn't get more liquid by July.

Forgive me, but it does seem like a lot of money, and frankly, I don't think I fully understand what you will be doing?

OK, you say this is expensive, and I take it that's because you are collecting, sorting and providing for download all the data from exchanges that you can collect. Right now, you have prices and amounts, etc... in files on the site, ready for anyone to access. Will you be creating the analytic tools? Or are you only for providing data to those who would build analytical applications using your information stream?

OK, I'm getting it, I think... I agree, liquidity is a real problem with Dash and this, is undoubtedly why we're not on the bigger exchanges. We need to be on them, I completely agree. And we need liquidity. How much time will this budget buy for the site? and again, do you plan on adding trade analysis to the site, like Bitcoin wisdom? etc? Or is it just a data collection site?

You gotta remember, a lot of us MN owners are not technical, and the way you wrote this up really gave me the "what?"s Now on this thread (saw it on DashWhale first) I am starting to get the idea, but if you want this to pass, please explain in plain vulgar English (to the common folk) what this does, why we need it, what it will accomplish, and you'll get better results :)

OK, here is my attempt at how I would have presented this project as the initial introduction (and summery)

Dash lacks exposure on the most used/popular exchanges and thus is not positioned to receive attention when markets are moving.
The reason Dash was taken off or not included on some of the bigger exchanges is because it has very low liquidity.
Providing high quality data for Dash market analysis will encourage traders to trade Dash
With more liquidity, more markets will include Dash in their lineup
With more interest in trading Dash, comes natural advertisement and spreads adoption.

Is this the idea?

With the price you are asking for (well over $5000) what will that buy? Will you create an array of applications to run on this site? How long can this site run off of that price? What happens when the money runs out? What are the real expenses of running such a site? (I assume at first, there won't be too much band width, but as time goes by it will increase exponentially?)

Thanks for submitting this. Again, I see how the community's "group wisdom" is working, in that no stone is left uncovered, all needs are identified. This is very interesting and if it could help with liquidity, that would be great.

OK, here is my attempt at how I would have presented this project as the initial introduction (and summery)

Dash lacks exposure on the most used/popular exchanges and thus is not positioned to receive attention when markets are moving.
The reason Dash was taken off or not included on some of the bigger exchanges is because it has very low liquidity.
Providing high quality data for Dash market analysis will encourage traders to trade Dash
With more liquidity, more markets will include Dash in their lineup
With more interest in trading Dash, comes natural advertisement and spreads adoption.

Is this the idea?

Yes, this is a much better introduction and summary. I should have submitted a pre-proposal beforehand to make my idea clear. I also think Dash's masternode set-up makes it particularly suited for an explosive price run i.e. advertising.

The minimum of what I am trying to build can be found at https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/coinbase/btcusd. I would post screenshots, but the interactive nature of the site really is far superior. It is a charting site built for traders, not just people interested in the movement of the currency. You can add stuff like EMA lines and other financial algorithms. This is what I would like to build for Dash.

With the price you are asking for (well over $5000) what will that buy?
Charts, data storage, and social features not yet found on similar bitcoin sites.

This money is intended to be the initial start-up phase for the company. I'm hoping to create a product that is popular enough to fund itself.

Will you create an array of applications to run on this site?

Yes. I would like to create an application where a user logs-in with their OneName profile, and can trade "fake" Dash through the site. These trades can correlate to their real trades if they want. Their monthly profit/debt is logged on their DashTrader profile so that everyone can see how well they predict market movements.

I would also like to do something called "sentiment analysis". Basically what this does is a bot reads through our forums and look for words that are positive or negative sounding. For example, it might see the sentence "I think Dash is going to rise" and algorithmically read that the sentence means people could be buying Dash. This could be used to create an objective measure of whether Dash will rise or fall based on current discussion.

How long can this site run off of that price?

I am not asking for a month-to-month investment, only an initial "seed round" for the hours it will take to build the site. I don't expect the site to be "profitable" by any means, but hopefully it will make enough to cover its hosting costs once it is popular enough. So in other words, forever.

What happens when the money runs out? What are the real expenses of running such a site? (I assume at first, there won't be too much band width, but as time goes by it will increase exponentially?)

Hosting, storage, transfer costs
Pricing data is here: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/?sc_channel=PS&sc_campaign=acquisition_US&sc_publisher=google&sc_medium=s3_b&sc_content=sitelink&sc_detail=amazon s3&sc_category=s3&sc_segment=pricing&sc_matchtype=p&sc_country=US&s_kwcid=AL!4422!3!85675224042!p!!g!!amazon s3&ef_id=VSBK2wAABRlaOxVx:20160310164001:s

What the pricing data does not show is Amazon's "Free Usage Tier". Also, note that these costs are per month.

Storage costs: $0.0300 per GB. Estimated cost will rise exponentially. Based on the extensive trade history at api.bitcoincharts.com, I estimate they pay somewhere close to $300/month, including charts and other data.

Uploading trade data to site: $0.005 per 1,000 requests. The first 2,000 requests/month are free.
I have updated the site to change the trade data once every 4 hours. Thus, the estimated cost: $0.00

Downloading trade data: $0.004 per 10,000 requests. The first 20,000 requests are free.
In the last 12 hours, 822 "Get" requests have been made of our data. I expect that as more people find out about the site, these Get requests will increase exponentially. I am also certain that this is a measure of already how useful the site is to traders, or rather at the proposition that this site will exist. I estimate this cost to be $100/month during high-usage.

Dash's volume has doubled since the release of this site. http://coinmarketcap.com/
At the time of original writing Dash was #7 in marketcap and #16 in trade volume. It is currently #6 in market cap and #9 in trade volume.
This could be because of this post, or it could be because traders are excited about DashTrader.info, or it could be because of neither. Either way, as Dash's volume increases, we will need more services like this to appeal to traders.

Man-Hours

I estimate this project will take 100+ hours to complete by mid-June. This means that at $6,000 pay I will be working for $6/hour, in addition to the costs incurred above. Also, we (the proposal-makers) are responsible for any changes in market value that may occur over the course of our contract, so this value could go up or down.

Hmm... I like your approach. I support this idea in theory. But 1300 Dash is a lot out of our budget. I think you should focus more on hosting and storage costs rather than development time, since this is such an easy project (at least the charting part of it). For example, I'm not comfortable spending our Dash budget on sentiment analysis of our forums, since I'm not sure if that really increases Dash's value that much.

How about 300 Dash? That should be enough for 4 months of storage, no?

I think it is appropriate for me to ask for money to cover developer costs. This site will attract a number of traders to Dash, if it hasn't already.

Please consider changing your vote from "no" to "Yes". I really think building liquidity now is necessary for when the block reward halves in July.

Man-Hours

I estimate this project will take 100+ hours to complete by mid-June. This means that at $6,000 pay I will be working for $6/hour, in addition to the costs incurred above. Also, we (the proposal-makers) are responsible for any changes in market value that may occur over the course of our contract, so this value could go up or down.

Koamp, I agree that developers should be paid for their work, however you must understand that Dash has a limited monthly budget. Given that some other proposals have had developers run-off with funds, it may be wise to submit a proposal that either requests less funds or has the funds spread out over a few months, so that we can track your progress in development. Trying to squeeze all this into one month just doesn't make any sense.

This is certainly the type of project we should be funding, and might even explain Dash's price bump today (not sure about markets). But I do think your asking price, relative to the remaining budget, is too high. Why don't you wait a week, then submit a new proposal using TanteStefana and mine's suggestions? Though you have my vote now, I am not sure others feel the same.

Given that some other proposals have had developers run-off with funds (DartPayments)

so they just got a budget payment approved a few days ago and now you are saying they already run off with the funds ?
i call that bullshit.

Their budget proposal got down voted, thats all. Lets not make things bigger then they are.

OK, last devil's advocate question/comment:

You are aware that Bitcoinwisdom.com already has most of this information for Dash which, because it doesn't reach Europe for some reason, is relayed by cryptowat.ch https://cryptowat.ch/poloniex/dashbtc/15m

It's only for poloniex, and I'm not aware of what else they have for people who make an account, so could you explain how your site will be different? What will the advantages be? I already see a bot that reads sentiment, that's neat, but can you spell out exactly how your site will be different?

OK, last devil's advocate question/comment:

You are aware that Bitcoinwisdom.com already has most of this information for Dash which, because it doesn't reach Europe for some reason, is relayed by cryptowat.ch https://cryptowat.ch/poloniex/dashbtc/15m

It's only for poloniex, and I'm not aware of what else they have for people who make an account, so could you explain how your site will be different? What will the advantages be? I already see a bot that reads sentiment, that's neat, but can you spell out exactly how your site will be different?

I am on mobile right now, so let me address your "How would this be different?" question further. I want to create a social network for DashTraders. I think it would be cool to have a reputation system where people's price predictions earned them credit. You could essentially give people 100 DT to start with (fake points used only by the site) and allow them to buy and sell Dash. A user's balance could be put beneath their username, so that if you made a lot of good trades you would have plenty of DT, otherwise you would have not that much. Maybe it could be like reddit where upvotes earn you even more DT. This would drive traders to the community, I believe.

OK, cool. I understand the importance of liquidity, so I support this, but would like to understand the main ways, when you have time to type, that this site will encourage buyers and sellers.

I would think you'll supply special tools. Can they make bots with more complex assignments aside from driving price up or down? More like buy/sell based on certain conditions? It seems to me that the bots in use (at least the only ones I can see being used) try to drive the price up or down but if I were a trader, I'd rather set up more complex conditions.

Any other things you can share? I'm not a trader so I don't even know what's available to traders that you might not get at current sites. I think building a community is a great idea.

Let me see if I got this straight.

"Joe" uses crypto exchanges in order to convert his fiat for DASH. Joe is increasing the adoption of DASH.

"Bob" uses crypto exchanges in order to train his trading robots to extract excess DASH (which he calls profit) out of the system. Is Bob helping with DASH adoption?

Let me see if I got this straight.

"Joe" uses crypto exchanges in order to convert his fiat for DASH. Joe is increasing the adoption of DASH.

"Bob" uses crypto exchanges in order to train his trading robots to extract excess DASH (which he calls profit) out of the system. Is Bob helping with DASH adoption?

yes. advertising. 1.

2. Yes because more liquidity is on the market. People get Dash faster because there are more open orders. Alice probably doesn't care if Bob makes 0.0001 Dash off her order so long as she gets her Dash 3 hours

People get Dash faster because there are more open orders. Alice probably doesn't care if Bob makes 0.0001 Dash off her order so long as she gets her Dash 3 hours sooner.

Alice goes to an exchange and clicks "buy" or she does a shapeshift thingy and they send a "buy" message. Why would Alice wait 3 hours for an order to fill to save 0.0001 Dash? Surely an exchange has standing orders waiting for Alice.

Alice goes to an exchange and clicks "buy" or she does a shapeshift thingy and they send a "buy" message. Why would Alice wait 3 hours for an order to fill to save 0.0001 Dash? Surely an exchange has standing orders waiting for Alice.

The nearest bid price to buy new Dash is $3. The nearest asking price to sell Dash is $7. If Alice wants to buy Dash she has to spend $8, when the real value of a Dash is $5.

This conversation is killing my brain

bid price to buy new Dash is $3. The nearest asking price to sell Dash is $8.

Really?

6489352b_o.png

Back