• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Evolution update

You can actually recreate OpenBazaar as an Evolution app without needing most of the OB infrastructure.
Is it what the average Joe should do?

Or is it meant that the developers take care of it? Since you are one of those developers, how buyers/sellers can be protected from fraud in DASH Evolution? OpenBazaar uses multisignatures and moderators.

AndyDark, could you please help me with the Python import error I reported several days ago?

"Or is it meant that the developers take care of it? Since you are one of those developers, how buyers/sellers can be protected from fraud in DASH Evolution? OpenBazaar uses multisignatures and moderators."

Both multisig and moderation is in the Evolution roadmap but we haven't finished designs for V1 so can't give you a final answer yet. OB isn't something we would be building but 3rd party devs could using DAPI. What we are building is the platform to develop apps on, the actual apps will be made by 3rd parties. We will make some official apps like Wallet, merchant sample, social functions for launch though.

"AndyDark, could you please help me with the Python import error I reported several days ago?"

I didn't work on the Python implementation so maybe someone else can help you, very busy on completing Evolution design at the minute. I will post a message on Slack for you though to ask if anyone else can answer.

"Or is it meant that the developers take care of it? Since you are one of those developers, how buyers/sellers can be protected from fraud in DASH Evolution? OpenBazaar uses multisignatures and moderators."

Both multisig and moderation is in the Evolution roadmap but we haven't finished designs for V1 so can't give you a final answer yet. OB isn't something we would be building but 3rd party devs could using DAPI. What we are building is the platform to develop apps on, the actual apps will be made by 3rd parties. We will make some official apps like Wallet, merchant sample, social functions for launch though.

"AndyDark, could you please help me with the Python import error I reported several days ago?"

I didn't work on the Python implementation so maybe someone else can help you, very busy on completing Evolution design at the minute. I will post a message on Slack for you though to ask if anyone else can answer.

Can you make a poker lobby on it? :D

Can you make a poker lobby on it? :D

that's a good one. again, the poker part would be internal to the app, but the eCommerce functions / user authorization can be offloaded to Dash by the app dev.

it's good to hear use cases like that and OB. any more? :smile:

Reactions: jpr
Is it what the average Joe should do?

Or is it meant that the developers take care of it? Since you are one of those developers, how buyers/sellers can be protected from fraud in DASH Evolution? OpenBazaar uses multisignatures and moderators.

AndyDark, could you please help me with the Python import error I reported several days ago?

Can you get the Bitcoin version of Electrum running ok? I had a few dependency problems that took a bit of time to track down.

EDIT: For the coinhash module, it's an included module but you need to run "setup.py install" before running Electrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get the Bitcoin version of Electrum running ok? I had a few dependency problems that took a bit of time to track down.

EDIT: For the coinhash module, it's an included module but you need to run "setup.py install" before running Electrum.
Thanks, I tried it already.

Code:
$ sudo python setup.py install
running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
creating Electrum_DASH.egg-info
writing requirements to Electrum_DASH.egg-info/requires.txt
writing Electrum_DASH.egg-info/PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to Electrum_DASH.egg-info/top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to Electrum_DASH.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
writing manifest file 'Electrum_DASH.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
error: package directory 'electrum_dash_gui' does not exist

Interestingly, I managed to install and run the DASH electrum from the source ( https://github.com/dashpay/electrum-dash ).

Will Evo support multi-user accounts for merchants or "joint" end-user accounts (think married couples)? I'm thinking that merchants will require more than one login and potentially multiple sign-offs in order to authorize outgoing transactions. Some users for merchant accounts might even be read-only access (like an accountant login). For that you would need administrator rights to the overall account to authorize user access to certain capabilities.

I just want to insert that thinking early in the process... even if not supported right away, I would encourage you to plan for that in the future and to design the architecture in such a way that will enable that down the road. Perhaps PayPal merchant accounts or business bank accounts would be a good model to design from?

Thanks, I tried it already.

Code:
$ sudo python setup.py install
running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
creating Electrum_DASH.egg-info
writing requirements to Electrum_DASH.egg-info/requires.txt
writing Electrum_DASH.egg-info/PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to Electrum_DASH.egg-info/top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to Electrum_DASH.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
writing manifest file 'Electrum_DASH.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
error: package directory 'electrum_dash_gui' does not exist

Interestingly, I managed to install and run the DASH electrum from the source ( https://github.com/dashpay/electrum-dash ).

I did a little bit of digging around and found this: https://github.com/mazaclub/encompass/issues/95. Seems somewhat related, though strange that setup.py install didn't fix the issue. It was still giving that error after running setup.py install?

When working on some GUI stuff with the electrum-dash wallet I saved the following commands -- running these allowed the compilation to complete, maybe one is a dependency that will allow setup.py to do it's thing?

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-dev python-pip libudev-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev
sudo pip install cython
sudo pip install hidapi
sudo apt-get install python-websocket
pyrcc4 icons.qrc -o gui/qt/icons_rc.py
sudo python setup.py sdist
sudo pip install --pre dist/Electrum-DASH-2.4.1rc2.tar.gz
./electrum-dash

Actually I have contacted OB development team and asked about the possibility of Dash integration few weeks ago.
They told me that current OB architecture is very closely integrated with BTC - it is literally hard-coded there. OB is not designed in a way to integrate other currencies and it looks like the only possibility to integrate Dash into it is a fork.

I don't like the way OB works, with the doubling up of payments, etc... there should be an easier way, but aside from that, I still desperately desire to see Dash build a marketplace that is hosted on the MN network's sharded storage, so it can be accessed by users as easily as ebay. Illegal sales could be reported and deleted (community regulated) which *should* keep masternodes safe legally. have a small fee off the total sale go to the MNs for hosting, and it's win-win.

Sorry, it's my dearest hope so I keep bringing it up

Will Evo support multi-user accounts for merchants or "joint" end-user accounts (think married couples)? I'm thinking that merchants will require more than one login and potentially multiple sign-offs in order to authorize outgoing transactions. Some users for merchant accounts might even be read-only access (like an accountant login). For that you would need administrator rights to the overall account to authorize user access to certain capabilities.

I just want to insert that thinking early in the process... even if not supported right away, I would encourage you to plan for that in the future and to design the architecture in such a way that will enable that down the road. Perhaps PayPal merchant accounts or business bank accounts would be a good model to design from?

In this vain, I'd like to see people able to deposit funds in a smart contract that, when totalling 1000 dash, can be used as a Masternode collateral. That way, grouped collateral can be trustless. Rewards could go to a secondary address to be withdrawn, split and pay for services. That could even be automatic as well.

I did a little bit of digging around and found this: https://github.com/mazaclub/encompass/issues/95. Seems somewhat related, though strange that setup.py install didn't fix the issue. It was still giving that error after running setup.py install?
setup.py install did not succeed, as I reported above, and so it could not have fixed anything. ./electrum-dash still crashes with an import error.

I installed all the Python dependencies for Electrum as well as DASH Electrum according to the shipped documentation.

It happens quite often that developers (I am a developer myself) publish something that works on the developer machine/environment only :))) I cannot believe that it is only me who gets those errors with the source repository version, although typically people do not start with the source version. But let's wait for a first release, may be we will be able at least to start it without errors.

I still hope that one day I will be able to sell my old laptop for DASH without having to use Bitcoin, PayPal, ebay etc.

Sounds like it can't find the GUI files it's looking for, tried searching the source for "electrum_dash_gui" to see what it's expecting to find? Might be they're still being worked on or need symlinks. It's a long time since I ran the version in Evans repository and I a similar error due to a problem with pip and another external module on my system but iirc that prevented me running any version, not just the one in development.

Hi babygiraffe. That's a good point, we could fit HD multisignature in to the current account structure without much trouble. We also have plans for different levels of authorization built into the auth protocol.

We've been trying out PayPal and Google Wallet but actually Stripe would be the closest to our strategy as it's the easiest to use and least hassle for users. Our first DashPay feature will just be a 'pay with Dash' button though without any frills, but we can build those up and have planned most of that out when designing the architecture.

I don't like the way OB works, with the doubling up of payments, etc... there should be an easier way, but aside from that, I still desperately desire to see Dash build a marketplace that is hosted on the MN network's sharded storage, so it can be accessed by users as easily as ebay. Illegal sales could be reported and deleted (community regulated) which *should* keep masternodes safe legally. have a small fee off the total sale go to the MNs for hosting, and it's win-win.

Sorry, it's my dearest hope so I keep bringing it up

Hey Tante. I can see how we could do this with the architecture we are planning but it won't be in V1. Main things we would need are a way for users to manage products and sell using moderated multisig contracts. Both of those could be added as hardwired features so if we add those I would say OB would be doable and they can be added in without changing the current architecture.

Another strategy is allowing apps to store data in DashDrive which would enable more complex apps to decentralize their provision and payment functions but that's something to consider later. There are some issues with that though e.g. once we start storing application content that might have legal ramifications and also one large app could use a lot of storage and API activity in the system so the economics would have to be worked out and if that fits in with the overall strategy.

I hear what you're saying though about OB built on Dash that would be cool, in the mean time adding Dash to OB would be good though I think :smile:

Along these lines how hard would it be to implement contracts? (ether and gas could be just that....poof!)

Hey Jeremy. Yes part of the planning of the architecture has been to enable this later if we want. Our strategy is a bit different though, what we consider an 'app' is something like Twitter or Shapeshift or a webstore, they are centralized external services that we provide decentralized financial services for, rather than thinking of apps as code running inside the blockchain like in Ether that you need a p2p wallet to access. Therefore personally I think we would have more like contracts as decentralized business logic that apps can run on the Dash blockchain to add value to the API service they are already consuming.

We won't build it for now though because we just want the basic Evolution in the market, which is signup/login (DashSocial), basic evo wallet (DashWallet) and basic merchant 'pay with Dash' button (DashPay)

Awesome, AndyDark, that'd work. Sorry, I can't help myself, but could you guesstimate when we'll see the first Evo implementation in Testnet? Also, I got a Dash in my electrum/evo sample wallet, is it gone forever now? LOL.

TanteStefana hard to say, design process is completing soon so it will be easy to map out the work schedule. Could be 12 months for fully working version with the current workforce. I'm hoping we can accelerate that though and get more developers involved once everything is specced using DGBB, it could really help us speed up development.

Hi babygiraffe. That's a good point, we could fit HD multisignature in to the current account structure without much trouble. We also have plans for different levels of authorization built into the auth protocol.

We've been trying out PayPal and Google Wallet but actually Stripe would be the closest to our strategy as it's the easiest to use and least hassle for users. Our first DashPay feature will just be a 'pay with Dash' button though without any frills, but we can build those up and have planned most of that out when designing the architecture.
Take a look at Braintree (a PayPal company) too. They started after Stripe, but they have been outgrowing them. The model and API are very very similar, but they are doing a few things differently that you might find helpful. Really happy that you are using these as models! They are all the best in the industry. If you make life easy for programmers and gateway service providers to integrate, it really helps with adoption.

Back