• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Lamassu Integration Official Thread

isysd

Hello everyone and thank you for supporting our proposal to add Dash to Lamassu machines!

As of the start of this thread, there are 520 yes and 0 no votes. For those who have not voted yet, here is the command:

Code:
mnbudget vote 19fae1eedd796df4dcdb7a4254d294e0c7cc5f97120eed6db43af7f53ad23861 yes

We are excited to work with Dash, having been in talks with Minotaur and eduffield for over a year on potential projects. After meeting up in person at LaBitConf, I was impressed with Dash's progress on governance. Seeing how quickly this proposal was created and funded, I am once again impressed, and proud to be working with such an innovative community.

This thread will be updated with links and results as work begins and progresses. For now, consider this thread a thank you and a bookmark.

Technical proposal:

https://github.com/deginner/DashLamassuProposal

Hi!

Great news and good luck to the project!

PS. vote-many is the right command if you have multiple masternodes in one wallet.

>> mnbudget vote-many 19fae1eedd796df4dcdb7a4254d294e0c7cc5f97120eed6db43af7f53ad23861 yes

Solarminer the Lamassu UI changes can potentially be re-usable. It is our plan to make a UI extension framework that could be used by other currencies or even more generic services. That being said, it is Lamassu-specific and not directly related to Bitpay or Gocoin or any other services.

There are future projects being discussed. If you look at Deginner's website, you'll see we also build wallet, exchange, and broker software. That should give you an idea of what is possible.

Are there future projects planned?

I hope they are planning to cover the whole world by DASH ATMs in long-term perspective. :)

Just imagine, Budget proposals in 202* year:

*** machines for USA
*** machines for Europe
**** machines for China

we need another DASH/USD ratio to make this real, but with strong partners... nothing is impossible! :)

I hope they are planning to cover the whole world by DASH ATMs in long-term perspective. :)

Just imagine, Budget proposals in 202* year:

*** machines for USA
*** machines for Europe
**** machines for China

we need another DASH/USD ratio to make this real, but with strong partners... nothing is impossible! :)

I doubt USA will be a market for these. The money transmitter license puts this out of scope.

I would rather see an exchange or bitpay like system so merchant adoption and real growth can take place. The Dash Into Cash ATMs are more of a way to get publicity in my opinion. It also gives credibility to Dash/Bitcoin since they can be exchanged for fiat. Dash is instant, and can be used directly for point of sale transactions. The best Bitcoin can do for point of sale is have ATMs all over and convert to fiat to pay merchants.

I would like to imagine these proposals. Maybe a ways off....
  • Walmart requesting integration with Dash world wide. Split funding from Walmart and dash proposal.
  • Overstock to pay exclusively in Dash. Requesting payroll software. X dash and 1 devloper needed.
  • Now that Dash is over $100, Otoh just purchased his 10th stadium, looking for workers to be paid in dash.

I'm interested in the details of the agreement. Is there any exclusivity baked into it?

The reason I ask is, if Dash is funding Lamassu's development of an altcoin integration platform for its machines, then what happens when Lamassu offers the same service for another (mostly compatible) altcoin, but for a substantially lower price, since Dash already paid for the development?

Obviously Dash will have the benefit of being the first alternative cryptocurrency to be supported on Lamassu machines, but my question is for how long? If one week after Dash is integrated, 10 other altcoins suddenly pop up on it, each of which paid only a fraction of what Dash paid, then the investment would not be quite as attractive as it currently sounds.

We're talking about open source software. Exclusivity is forbidden by license, and I believe rightly so. Just like the Dash developers can't close the Dash source code built on top of open Bitcoin, Deginner can't build anything closed on top of Lamassu.

To get closer to the heart of your concern: it is possible some of the software Dash is funding will have re-use value for others. It won't be free to add another currency after we're done, but the cost will certainly be less than starting from now. On the other hand, Dash is benefiting from our team's previous experience at Coinapult and with other Lamassu projects.

How can we all properly attribute and reward these contributions and those who sponsor them? It is an interesting problem, for which I see Dash's budget proposal system as an interesting solution.

Thanks for the explanation. I see your point about it being open source. I suppose it is effectively no different than any other open-source development that Dash funds for its own protocol improvement. All of the *paid* effort to develop new Dash features and integration is freely available for other currencies to implement.

Are you guys planning on writing your software on the top of Dash Evolution? Will you integrate InstantX? Would you be able to provide a rough time frame for this project ? I know I am a bit impatient but that's because I'm super excited.

As far as I know, InstantX does not require any special work to activate from the sending client. Evolution would certainly seem to allow advanced functionality, which implies the possibility of advanced Lamassu functionality. At the moment, nothing beyond simple buying and selling of DASH is planned.

UPDATE:

With about 50% of all MN votes already counted and 97% 'yes', the Dash team has given us the final go ahead. We have already begun work, though things a bit slow this (holiday) week. Next week the project will pick up to full steam.

Some positive press and price action have come about:

http://allcoinsnews.com/2015/12/29/dash-plans-integration-into-lamassu-bitcoin-atms/
https://news.bitcoin.com/dash-goes-20-lamassu-integration-approved/

Finally, to expand on the question about InstantX: we will definitely support it, probably by default. It is still unclear how much effort would be involved in that, but it seems not much. The machines use zero-confirmations even with BTC.

UPDATE:

With about 50% of all MN votes already counted and 97% 'yes', the Dash team has given us the final go ahead. We have already begun work, though things a bit slow this (holiday) week. Next week the project will pick up to full steam.

Hi really looking forward to this. Can you answer a couple questions about support.

I see the Douro has a $100 monthly maintenance cost for a "live" machine. I take it this can be started and stopped when the unit is not in service? Can you define how you define it is considered in service? I would like to order a unit ASAP but it won't be deployed live until the DASH implementation is complete and after some internal test about a month later I will sign a lease for it's location and deploy it live. Will a machine purchased today work with the DASH implementation when ready and will you provide the DASH updates to machines that are several months old without a support agreement before it goes live? Thanks

Hi really looking forward to this. Can you answer a couple questions about support.

I see the Douro has a $100 monthly maintenance cost for a "live" machine. I take it this can be started and stopped when the unit is not in service? Can you define how you define it is considered in service? I would like to order a unit ASAP but it won't be deployed live until the DASH implementation is complete and after some internal test about a month later I will sign a lease for it's location and deploy it live. Will a machine purchased today work with the DASH implementation when ready and will you provide the DASH updates to machines that are several months old without a support agreement before it goes live? Thanks

Miner237 I will let isysd answer your questions. I just wanted to say that we are looking to approach Lamassu about keeping track of the demand for machines we generate from Dash. This way we can justify the need for a merge into the main repository and/or ask for pricing. I am also looking forward to setting up a Dash machine, so maybe we can PM about it and at least include a note in the order to them that it is Dash driving our interest so they can see they are already getting a return from working with us.

I can't speak for Lamassu support and fees, which I gather may be changing more in the near future. I believe they have a significant new product lineup and service change in the works. This is neither positive nor negative for our project, as, in the long term, integration is possible with either.

What I can say is that we are arranging to pre-order and pre-flash a batch of machines. The details are still being worked out, but potentially we will be able to ship you a preloaded machine with explicit support for the Dash features. Anyone who is interested in purchasing one of these machines, please PM me for more info.

Hi folks, time for our first update. Things are moving, though it took longer than expected to iron out remaining architectural issues. Primarily the work so far has been on the "trade" portion of the project, and in ensuring an actionable price feed is available. Here is a websocket server that publishes USD/DASH tickers.

https://github.com/deginner/dash-ticker

As you can see, we've decided to chain the Coinapult (guaranteed price) and Poloniex (bid/ask) exchanges together to create the desired effect. When an actual transaction happened, these will have to be executed in serial. For this reason Coinapult was selected for the USD/BTC half, reducing the price uncertainty. As more significant USD/DASH exchanges become available, this funky, 2-layer trade system can be deprecated.

More software updates are to come, but I don't want to jump the gun. As usual, there are more unknown problems lurking ahead.

On the note of hardware, I'm pleased to announce that we're arranging for 5 machines of the next batch to have the Dash software installed. This is not a direct from Lamassu deal, but still we'll have machines ready to just buy, plug in, and start Dashing.

Hi folks, time for our first update. Things are moving, though it took longer than expected to iron out remaining architectural issues. Primarily the work so far has been on the "trade" portion of the project, and in ensuring an actionable price feed is available. Here is a websocket server that publishes USD/DASH tickers.

https://github.com/deginner/dash-ticker

As you can see, we've decided to chain the Coinapult (guaranteed price) and Poloniex (bid/ask) exchanges together to create the desired effect. When an actual transaction happened, these will have to be executed in serial. For this reason Coinapult was selected for the USD/BTC half, reducing the price uncertainty. As more significant USD/DASH exchanges become available, this funky, 2-layer trade system can be deprecated.

More software updates are to come, but I don't want to jump the gun. As usual, there are more unknown problems lurking ahead.

On the note of hardware, I'm pleased to announce that we're arranging for 5 machines of the next batch to have the Dash software installed. This is not a direct from Lamassu deal, but still we'll have machines ready to just buy, plug in, and start Dashing.

You should check out this idea I had: https://dashtalk.org/threads/imagine-this.7742/

I guess my question is if we could figure out how to utilize these machines in a maximal way once they are dashed up.

As the code is open source, you'll be free to tinker to your heart's content. I see these machines as stationary, physical interfaces to the online marketplace. That is to say, even an unbanked person could walk up to one of these machines to buy or do anything on the internet. That is incredible, and simply converting tokens back and forth is barely scratching the surface.

Back