• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Mike Hearn quits Bitcoin, help me invite him to Dash

I propose some kind of a strike team,a chair, ropes and a feather..

edit:After his endorsement of course.

To be honest I think the better strategy would have been to invite him to the _current_ Dash implementation (v0.12.0.55 or v0.12.1.x) so he can see and test how it works and how the _working_ code looks like.

From there you could additionally point to the next planned thing, Evolution.

PLEASE do NOT email him !!!

what are we ? desperate ?
this is not our style , let the team take care of this (if they wanted to) but do not bombard him with emails now,
i belive he has some corporate job anyway already !!

PLEASE do NOT email him !!!

what are we ? desperate ?
this is not our style , let the team take care of this (if they wanted to) but do not bombard him with emails now,
i belive he has some corporate job anyway already !!

I believe everyone's free to do whatever the fuck they want. It's not like you can form a tyrannical consensus behind some action and expect all to comply.

You're right though. He has a job and even before getting this new job he has been busy doing expensive consultancy work just like the overrated Peter Todd.

They're both free to join if they want but I think both of them are highly overrated and bringing their egos here won't do much good. Personal opinion ofc.

The tweet has been pretty popular so far, it has lots of link clicks to the Evolution page. That's partly the reason why I did that, to highlight our differences for others.

If Mike actually joins us, that's a bonus. Every time someone likes or RTs, he'll see it in his timeline.

I think our current developers are amazing. Additional developers would be great but only if they prove themselves like every other developer working on DASH has.

Also Mike just quit bitcoin and wrote a long detailed post about why he thinks it will fail, etc. It's like the guy didn't get what he wanted so he cries like a bitch. Meanwhile NY Times publishes a profile piece detailing the departure and the events leading up to it.

I'm not discounting this guy's contributions to bitcoin. But if he was an employee of mine and wrote a departure post like this about my company, I wouldn't be giving him any positive reviews.

Mike Hearn has switched teams, all right:
http://bravenewcoin.com/news/30-top-banks-and-mike-hearn-have-now-joined-r3-global-consortium/

Joining the team as Director and Lead Platform Engineer is one of the world’s leading experts in bitcoin and blockchain-based digital currencies, Mike Hearn, fresh from working in residence at Andreessen Horowitz.

Before becoming one of the first bitcoin developers, Hearn was a senior software engineer at Google, where he worked on products such as Google Earth, Maps, Gmail, and account security. Among his many accomplishments, he developed the leading Java-based Bitcoin API, co-developed the first and still most popular Bitcoin wallet for Android, and even pioneered the use of smart contracts with the development of the forward-thinking Lighthouse P2P crowdfunding app.

According to Mike Hearn and R3 Consortium, the face of "Crypto 2.0" will be brought to us by the following:
ResizedImage600467-30-Top-Banks-R3CEV.png

You guys really want this man anywhere near DASH? Think it's a coincidence that Hearn jumps ship after cooking IP logging/blacklisting into BitcoinXT, publishing a hit piece in the New York Slimes and taking a cushy new job with a consortium of banker scumbags?

I think DASH is just fine without him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Museifu

You're right about the blacklisting part but XT had some cool stuff planned that's already part of DASH. Mike is right when it comes to Bitcoin being stuck and not being able to do more innovation due to Chinese miners who call the shots. Some of his criticism is legit.

buster

Yeah you could make the case way he acted was not properly thought out and maybe bit spineless. He sold out and then made this post which he knew was gonna negatively affect the price. He probably went short as well or some bs. I have mixed feelings about the guy but a big chunk of his criticism is legit. He makes some perfectly valid points.

InTheWoods
I agree wholeheartedly, a lot of the criticisms of Bitcoin Core are valid and something needs to be done about the blocksize; a compromise between speedy, secure transactions and maintained decentralization, if such a thing is even posssible within bitcoin.

What I'm wondering is why both XT (with its IP blacklisting) and now Core (with reversible transactions) both have such malicious "features" cooked in at the protocol level? And now this high-profile hit piece in the "Paper of Record" as Hearn jumps ship to essentially help Goldman, JP Morgan, Citigroup, et. al. in their bid to subsume the decentralized vision of Crypto as a whole?

The timing and progression of events is all very curious. Whatever the case, though, the argument for DASH as a true competitor to bitcoin couldn't be stronger amidst this tumult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst I agree we can do without Mike Hearn onboard, I don't see much point in Banker Bashing, regulators must take equal blame. I know, they're all slime bags, but all of these cryptos are private money and it was inevitable banks, retail and others would join in, however perverse it might be. People will speak with their wallets, that's all we need to know.

Like others here, we may not like his style, especially with blacklisting etc, but he did make some very good points.

And personally, I think our budget for R&D should be a lot more.

I believe everyone's free to do whatever the fuck they want. It's not like you can form a tyrannical consensus behind some action and expect all to comply.

yo relax !
i said "Please do NOT"
i didn't say "nobody is allowed" !

you can do whatever the f... you want out there,
knock yourself out !

Back