• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Greece to receive 1000 Bitcoin ATMs

That's a lot of machines and, tbh, I'm really quite cautious whether this will happen. Bitcoin has big issues with centralisation (exchanges, mining etc) and it can't do instant transactions good enough for everyday use. In my mind, if a government can shut down / limit access to banks, then it can surely outlaw bitcoin ATMs at a moments notice. Crypto will win through the growing shadow economy, not through fiat -> crypto gateways.

For the first time, these ATMs make sense - people can discreetly convert to fiat where a genuine need now exists..

Everytime I go use the Bitcoin atm in Sydney it has no internet connection. Hope it works better in Greece

I don't get it. If you was in Greece and operated a bitcoin ATM, then one day the government imposed heavy fines / jail to anyone operating the ATMs, would you comply? Did people forget the lengths they went to, to stop money leaving the country?

I 100% agree the government can do little about online crypto and the shadow economy, but to go forward with physical ATMs makes too many assumptions and underestimates the powers that be.

Back