• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Budget Proposal: The Instantx Soda Machine!

Is the way that the mobile wallet imports paper wallets compatible with scanning and then spending immediately or does it sweep it to a new address and they will have to wait for confirmations to use instantX?

I so wish the dash app handled paper wallet spending the same way mycelium does; directly, not first transferring to local wallet.

Just one.

You can insta-send. But you can't insta-re-send. I believe that is changing in v0.13. The IX lock counts as 5 confirms even though the concept of "confirms" is dated now. It's changing our whole perspective, but most people can't adjust their perspectives to something that has never been seen before.

We're proving that Instantly Secured TXes are possible even on v0.12. In fact, we already have proven that... Everyone said it, but nobody actually did it.

The point of this proposal is not to give us money for doing this. I was already slowly plodding towards this months ago.

The point is to buy DASH an IX detector. So, all that fancy shit we say DASH can do will actually have a chance to get done. If we're the only ones who do it, it's kinda pointless.

Who has put in a little effort to find an old single-price machine in their area? Talked to any retailers for a place to put it? Even explained the point of it to anyone? The Dixie Narco DNCB 168 is not the most common machine, but it's the most common one that doesn't weigh half a ton, and I've seen them listed on eBay and Craig's List for under $100. The machine isn't even the point... It's just the mechanism through which DASH is exposed and revealed. Big old box that says DASH on the side of it, where you can recycle (shapeshift) your used-up empty can (useless BitClone) into a full one. It's a token jesture, but profound in the nature that only DASH can even think about doing this.

It's why most cryptobrats are just standing there watching. They're used to following along. The brain is a pattern recognition device. Most people can't break with a pattern once they observe it, even if that pattern leads to failure. It's no accident that the first two people on this project were me and Solarminer. We're both Business-minded people who tread into the unknown every day. We see patterns of what could be, what should be. Not what has been, or what others have done. It's the same rant I give about paying rent and having a mortgage. Quit following a pattern of failure, and you'll stop failing! What a concept!

It's not a historical pattern yet. So, who has done it? We can't recruit someone familiar with a thing that has never been done. There is no such thing has having experience in something that has never been done. Who has "I built my own interactive DASH billboard from 1991 and put an IX detector and some Soda Cans in it." on their resume?

The point here is not to be a catchy gimmick. Yeah, it's a boring old soda machine. Exactly. Take a thing we're already familiar with to the point that we're bored with it, and show off DASH. As a big square brand presence, and as something you can actually use. Nobody has to figure out how to deal with a soda machine. Stick in money, push button, grab can. They already know how to do that.

Where's your DASH machine? Hell, I don't even want this thing. I'm supposed to be on a sailboat forgetting about the human race one day at a time in the South Pacific...

Just one.

You can insta-send. But you can't insta-re-send. I believe that is changing in v0.13. The IX lock counts as 5 confirms even though the concept of "confirms" is dated now. It's changing our whole perspective, but most people can't adjust their perspectives to something that has never been seen before.

We're proving that Instantly Secured TXes are possible even on v0.12. In fact, we already have proven that... Everyone said it, but nobody actually did it.

The point of this proposal is not to give us money for doing this. I was already slowly plodding towards this months ago.

The point is to buy DASH an IX detector. So, all that fancy shit we say DASH can do will actually have a chance to get done. If we're the only ones who do it, it's kinda pointless.

Who has put in a little effort to find an old single-price machine in their area? Talked to any retailers for a place to put it? Even explained the point of it to anyone? The Dixie Narco DNCB 168 is not the most common machine, but it's the most common one that doesn't weigh half a ton, and I've seen them listed on eBay and Craig's List for under $100. The machine isn't even the point... It's just the mechanism through which DASH is exposed and revealed. Big old box that says DASH on the side of it, where you can recycle (shapeshift) your used-up empty can (useless BitClone) into a full one. It's a token jesture, but profound in the nature that only DASH can even think about doing this.

It's why most cryptobrats are just standing there watching. They're used to following along. The brain is a pattern recognition device. Most people can't break with a pattern once they observe it, even if that pattern leads to failure. It's no accident that the first two people on this project were me and Solarminer. We're both Business-minded people who tread into the unknown every day. We see patterns of what could be, what should be. Not what has been, or what others have done. It's the same rant I give about paying rent and having a mortgage. Quit following a pattern of failure, and you'll stop failing! What a concept!

It's not a historical pattern yet. So, who has done it? We can't recruit someone familiar with a thing that has never been done. There is no such thing has having experience in something that has never been done. Who has "I built my own interactive DASH billboard from 1991 and put an IX detector and some Soda Cans in it." on their resume?

The point here is not to be a catchy gimmick. Yeah, it's a boring old soda machine. Exactly. Take a thing we're already familiar with to the point that we're bored with it, and show off DASH. As a big square brand presence, and as something you can actually use. Nobody has to figure out how to deal with a soda machine. Stick in money, push button, grab can. They already know how to do that.

Where's your DASH machine? Hell, I don't even want this thing. I'm supposed to be on a sailboat forgetting about the human race one day at a time in the South Pacific...
This project is so cool on so many levels, yet simple at the same time. Godspeed guys, I hope you are a great success, and start a chain reaction down there! :grin:

Think of it this way.

Buying a can of soda out of a vending machine is not exciting. But, if you paid for it with a masternode payment, and didn't have to touch a bank, exchange, atm, nothing... The moment you push that button and a can falls out, DASH proves itself to be the first fully self-contained viable economy. Not 1/2 of one. Not 7/8s of one. A full circle where you don't have to leave or re-enter the crypto environment.

So, you're bagholding DOGE, LTC, or XMR waiting for that day when suddenly the total lack of innovation will cause it to go to the moon... Or you could just shapeshift some of that crap over to DASH (UsefulCoin). You still didn't have to ATM, AML/KYC, bank...

The unbanked? We should all be so luck as to be unbanked!

It becomes possible for a vendor to accept DASH, and also spend that same DASH. Without touching any conversion. You could have a garage sale instead of buying on an exchange. It's not a single-ended thing anymore. It's a full circle. You don't have to ask "Where/how do I buy DASH with my fiat?" You can just sell some crap. You can skip fiat altogether. Not sit around waiting for confirmations...

If I wanted to sell an old used bicycle for $20, I could just sell it for DASH instead. Why not skip the vending machine? Just put some of your old crap on Craig's List and say that you only accept DASH as payment, and put a link to dash.org? Ignore anyone who doesn't already know what's going on because that's a huge time suck. They either learn or they walk away. no amount of explaining ever made a difference anyway, so save your time. It's crap you have just laying around anyway, right? I've got a coupe of propane tanks I don't need, why not? Old reloading equipment I won't have a use for on my sailboat... Oh, wait, Craig's List is a bunch of anti-human-rights commie murderers. So, eBay with "Pickup Only." Backpage, whatever...

The major barrier is this: "Why would I want to accept that money as payment, when I can't do anything with it?" Being able to spend money is part of what gives it value. I'm not going to give away an object of value (my $20 bicycle) if the thing I get in return for it is unusable. If it has no use, it has no worth. The bike has a use. Money that can't actually be spent anywhere, does not.

The vendor experience. Not the user experience. Make it easy for the vendors. Make it better than what they've already got. Make it parallel and unobtrusive so it has no impact at all on their current systems. Don't ask them to risk losing the payments, or wait around for an hour... Nobody is going to do that. Scan a QR and send. Or have a wifi hotspot that shows the total you owe, tap it, send DASH. If you want to feel really innovative, dump the self-checkout lanes and let people scan the items with the same phone they're going to pay over that hotspot with! Or not! Whatever... Pay at the pump? Why? Pay while you're still sitting in the car because you connected to the hotspot and pre paid 20DASH. The pump is on before you even open the door... Change comes back as you're driving away...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, is the soda machine 110V or 220V?

Edit: Also could you give us the dimensions we need to check with the event if they have somewhere we can place it.

Hi guys, is the soda machine 110V or 220V?

Edit: Also could you give us the dimensions we need to check with the event if they have somewhere we can place it.
110V 8A, pretty much any typical house circuit can handle it. It's just a glorified refrigerator. No special needs and no imposition.

It weighs 464lbs and I'll wheel it in on a huge pneumatic-wheeled dolly. No worries about damaging door thresholds or the such with solid wheels. Just need to know if it fits...

56-11/16in Tall x 28-5/16in Wide x 29in Deep

It's a smaller unit and I picked it for just this reason. We should be able to fit it in pretty much anywhere and not worry about it's space or power usage requirements.

We'll need it to connect to the Intertubez (WiFi).

EDIT: Machine specs directly from the original manual: https://conventionalstupidity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dn2k.pdf

Technically, the plug is a Nema 5-15 15A and uses 120V @ 60hz. (sorry have to throw the details in)

If we can get wired internet that would better, and also save us a step connecting with wifi. Not required though.

Technically, the plug is a Nema 5-15 15A and uses 120V @ 60hz. (sorry have to throw the details in)

If we can get wired internet that would better, and also save us a step connecting with wifi. Not required though.
Would the Pi run a mobile broadband usb dongle?

Unfortanately the "591-soda-machine" was a little bit too big for the next super block and will not be paid. Due to this I've went ahead and submitted a new proposal called "590-soda-machine", which will definitely fit in the next budget. For future reference, here's how I figured out out the spacing.

The command "mnbudget projection" will give you the exact budget that will be paid if the budget was finalized right now. From this command, from this command you can look at the last "TotalBudgetAlloted", which represents the total amount that will be allocated and paid in the next super block. Currently this amount is 7432.26000000. I've also added a new command in the v13-evo branch on our main github, "mnbudget nextbudgetsize", this will calculate the next budget superblock size.

mnbudget nextbudgetsize == 802285689600
mnbudget totalbudgetalloted == 7432.26000000

802285689600-7432.26000000 = 59059689600 (590.59 DASH)

So now we have an excess of .59 DASH, I think we're good
wink.gif

Ps: this is exactly how the budget system was intended to be used and work! It's really exciting to see us filling up the budgets to their exact allowed amount and prioritizing what we're doing. I'll also try to improve the commands for getting this type of information from the budget system, it's a real pain at the moment, but I see what needs to be done.

Please vote!

mnbudget vote cf26e6b9bca96048c8fc9ff48f3dbbc3eeb80c19ebc895c2bc13b6f4525170f9 yes

Now, the displayed budget amounts are floored, so people can take these numbers to create a new budget proposal without running into issues. Maybe it's also a good idea to enhance the proposal generator (https://www.dashwhale.org/budget/create) to display a warning when the amout exeeds the available budget.

110V 8A, pretty much any typical house circuit can handle it. It's just a glorified refrigerator. No special needs and no imposition.

It weighs 464lbs and I'll wheel it in on a huge pneumatic-wheeled dolly. No worries about damaging door thresholds or the such with solid wheels. Just need to know if it fits...

56-11/16in Tall x 28-5/16in Wide x 29in Deep

It's a smaller unit and I picked it for just this reason. We should be able to fit it in pretty much anywhere and not worry about it's space or power usage requirements.

We'll need it to connect to the Intertubez (WiFi).

EDIT: Machine specs directly from the original manual: https://conventionalstupidity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dn2k.pdf

Thanks for this information. So I contacted the show organizers about the soda machine and whether we could place it somewhere close to our table. They did not say no, but they want to see a picture. They want to see the size and also that it is clean and professional looking.

I think I can buy some time, but when do you think we could have a picture of the machine that looks good enough to share with the show organizers?

Or maybe you guys can get me a photo shopped version that looks similar to the end product?

I accept ideas, just understand that as show organizers they want to see what they are saying yes to, before they do.

This picture shows a comparison to a similar soda machine and a vending machine. The machine we are bringing is about 1ft shorter than this machine but has the same length/width. As you can see, small for a soda machine. We are also working on changing the front design, but have not committed to a design yet. This picture is intended to only be used for size/machine type understanding.

X20wthv.jpg

Back