• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Noob question here

recan86

Title explains most of it.

Yes, I am a noob when it comes to mining and I have done some research but there's a few questions I still have.

1. Should a computer that is being used for mining be used only for mining?
2. Should my wallet be setup on the same computer?
3. Is it better at this point to use a pool or individual? Yes, electricity is a factor.

Last question IF I buy a regular desktop specifically for mining can I setup a master node on it as well?
Thanks in advance :)

1. You can try to use it for other tasks, but it likely won't be pleasant. Frame rates can be significantly reduced, often resulting in things skipping instead of being smooth. Doing actions which place high load on the machine can sometimes be enough to crash it when combined with mining also. If you really want to use the machine for other tasks, you might want to consider getting a cheap low end gpu in addition to what you are mining on, and use that for your display.

2. Only if you're confident the miners you are using are clean. If you're using well known miners you compiled yourself from the official source, go right ahead. If you're grabbing random binaries from others, keep it separate.

3. Unless you have massive mining power, always use a pool. A pool will give fairly consistant payouts, whereas solo mining might not get you anything at all, or you might do well.

4. It seems masternodes either require or benefit greatly from being on a server, not your home comp.

1. You can try to use it for other tasks, but it likely won't be pleasant. Frame rates can be significantly reduced, often resulting in things skipping instead of being smooth. Doing actions which place high load on the machine can sometimes be enough to crash it when combined with mining also. If you really want to use the machine for other tasks, you might want to consider getting a cheap low end gpu in addition to what you are mining on, and use that for your display.

2. Only if you're confident the miners you are using are clean. If you're using well known miners you compiled yourself from the official source, go right ahead. If you're grabbing random binaries from others, keep it separate.

3. Unless you have massive mining power, always use a pool. A pool will give fairly consistant payouts, whereas solo mining might not get you anything at all, or you might do well.

4. It seems masternodes either require or benefit greatly from being on a server, not your home comp.
thanks a lot. Do you happen to know the best gpu for dark coin?

Back