• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Hosted Masternode as a prize for Miami - lucky paper wallet

ceti

Carry over from some chat from a few of us on bitcointalk.

Suggestion is that a managed masternode is offered as a prize as part of a paper wallet handout at the conference.

I'm thinking this:
  • Donations from community for the funds
  • or up for vote via governance
  • If one of the MN providers can come to the party they could offer reduced host/management fees for 12 months
  • MN provider will get some free marketing with the association
  • why hosted? much more user friendly as a prize. no disrespect for the tech savy audience :wink:
  • If we set it up now, can market in the build up
  • If we set it up now, the MN can start earning DASH, this can be highlighted as part of the marketing
  • Can use a link with dashninja and tweet each time it earns a pay out!
I am happy to donate to kick off.

I think this is a good way to promote DASH and also help with education in regards to what MN's are and how they work as part of the DASH architecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I appreciate the initiative, I don't see this is as a real incentive for most people. Think about if you are new to Dash, what would turn you on? Technology stuff, something interactive. A masternode is an investment, and those going into it as an investment will likely not be newbies.

How about doing a crypto coin race? Have a few biclones and dash race with a transaction and see which can be spent first?
You could even say Dash will need 5 confirmations, biclones only need 1....(IX gives 5x right off the bat)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Solarminer. A MN is not something that will appeal to most people. I don't think showing the benefits of being a MN operator is a good marketing strategy, since most users will never be one, even if they all wanted to.

I liked the idea of a race. Maybe the prize can be a hardware wallet or something.

Thanks for the responses,

I'm of two minds here, one is that i think most people will not realise what is up for grabs. 'Hey I won 1000 DASH, where can i cash in?'

The other part of me thinks (and is hoping) that Miami is a breakout event for DASH and to come along with one the DASH jewels in the crown up for grabs and to use the prize for both marketing and education is tempting.

Who knows, might turn out that we give away something that in the future might be worth 10k or 100k in $$$'s.

A BTC pizza moment! :smile:

A masternode is too convoluted and expensive to just give away willy nilly.
If you want a promotion it would be better to have a proposal vote or donations for say 100 Dash, then print paper wallets with 1-2 Dash on each and hand them out at the conference, this way you reach 100 people and not just 1 who probably wouldn't get it anyway.
(and if they do get the concept, why don't they buy a masternode anyway?)

Thanks for the responses,
I'm of two minds here, one is that i think most people will not realise what is up for grabs. 'Hey I won 1000 DASH, where can i cash in?'
Yes, they would probably just cash out immediately, hence give them small amount instead, that way they won't be bothered to.

Wouldn't this appeal only to people already into dash? Do like Sub-Ether's idea, perhaps make it a prize of a mini game or something?

Back