• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

V12 Release

If someone would start a "localdash.com" like "localbitcoins.com" then it could be great.
There is shapeshift.io too but these are just not the same as an exchange. In order to get DASH into the spot light and compete with other cryptos, we really need large trading volume on some reliable exchange. Otherwise, the general public won't take us seriously. And, at some point, we need that kind of attention and acceptance from the public.

Do we have some development plan that will promote the trading of DASH with fiat? I think the MN and InstantX features are great but we really need some good trading volumes to compete with other cryptocurrencies. Does the profit from MN making margin trading unlikely because we don't really have a swap market? I mean if you have thousands of DASH, would you run MNs rather than offering swaps? I think the leverage by taking out a swap is what makes trading so profitable. We might not need to think about this when large exchange like Bitfinex had DASH/BTC and DASH/USD pair. Now, it seems relevant to us. I really don't want to go to Cryptsy for DASH trading. I don't know why, I just don't feel comfortable with Cryptsy.
Check out https://coinffeine.com/ it is an open source bitcoin trading platform. Maybe this could be modified to DASH. Or just use shapeshift.com to transfer BTC to DASH.

Anything with fiat should be carefully thought out. NY and CA are not the easiest places to start something like this with their restrictive licensing. Actually, it would be safer to base an exchange outside the US. Maybe another way around this would be to store the US balance on a 'gift card' so it isn't in a standard bank. Xapo has something like this, could be a start.

Oh really? that's how it is now? a year ago i could buy bitcoin from a local person through localbitcoins.com, he only asked to see my ID (but didn't take a copy of it) when i bought around $300 USD so i could buy Darkcoin .. lol

Hey, do you know what's the density of localbitcoin users in, say, Ukraine? :) localdash would be even lower.

Maybe another way around this would be to store the US balance on a 'gift card' so it isn't in a standard bank. Xapo has something like this, could be a start.

Besides my development business, I'm a CTO in a crypto startup in Ukraine/EU. You can't hold any balance on a "gift card" above nominal. You have to be a registered company with all required licenses and have a contract with a card payment processing company and have a contract with a card issuing company (those might be the same sometimes).

I'd be glad if someone would prove me wrong.

Check out https://coinffeine.com/ it is an open source bitcoin trading platform. Maybe this could be modified to DASH. Or just use shapeshift.com to transfer BTC to DASH.

Anything with fiat should be carefully thought out. NY and CA are not the easiest places to start something like this with their restrictive licensing. Actually, it would be safer to base an exchange outside the US. Maybe another way around this would be to store the US balance on a 'gift card' so it isn't in a standard bank. Xapo has something like this, could be a start.
Seems 'gift card' can get around this. At least, I know gift cards are legal in general. But, what will happen when your gift card works better than cash? Then, will they make it illegal?

Seems 'gift card' can get around this. At least, I know gift cards are legal in general. But, what will happen when your gift card works better than cash? Then, will they make it illegal?

Name exact gift card issuer that you're talking about, please?

Name exact gift card issuer that you're talking about, please?
Don't remember the name. In the US, even the grocery stores can issue gift cards. The illegal story is from China. Don't remember the details. But, the news said that some Chinese grocery store in China issued some gift cards and then ran away with the money. Then, the Chinese gov tried to make these illegal. I guess if the central bankers do not like DASH, even DASH appears as gift card, they will shut us down.

Do we know why most of the MN with duplicated IP addresses are gone? I am just wondering if these MN operators have left or they just start using unique IP addresses.
Some IP addresses have a nat'd outgoing IP. So a block of .10 to .20 would all look like they go out on ip .21. They can all go in on their .10 to .20 IPs. It looked like the V11 recorded the outgoing IP. Maybe Ninja or V12 changed the recording or displaying of the outgoing IP.

They don't issue card themselves, only banks can do it. Fiat funds aren't "on cards", they're on bank accounts, which may or may not be tied to those cards.
So getting cards doesn't help much if you can't have either of
- a fiat bank account
- a company that allows you to operate its subaccount

One interesting approach I'm looking for is having a cryptotoken pegged 1:1 to a fiat currency (e.g. BitUSD, NuBits), but it still requires some kind of an interface to a SWIFT/SEPA/ACH/card processing. Yet.

Nope, can't find the Ukraine on the charts, localbitcoins must have the data though, perhaps theses guys just haven't got round to adding you yet,
http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/list/

I can count the number of people that does face-to-face BTC trading in Ukraine regularly using my fingers. Not using my legs. And I'll still have some fingers left for new candidates :)

That's why creating a clone of localbitcoins for a less popular currency will work only for hightech hubs like SV. Maybe London and Berlin (didn't visit, can't say)

They don't issue card themselves, only banks can do it. Fiat funds aren't "on cards", they're on bank accounts, which may or may not be tied to those cards.
So getting cards doesn't help much if you can't have either of
- a fiat bank account
- a company that allows you to operate its subaccount

One interesting approach I'm looking for is having a cryptotoken pegged 1:1 to a fiat currency (e.g. BitUSD, NuBits), but it still requires some kind of an interface to a SWIFT/SEPA/ACH/card processing. Yet.

Can you make it work with a debt based account like a visa/mastercard? Then just use an outside service to settle the account after x transactions. You would need a party to use for a credit line but does that have to be a bank?

Can you make it work with a debt based account like a visa/mastercard? Then just use an outside service to settle the account after x transactions. You would need a party to use for a credit line but does that have to be a bank?

Who will hold a funds on a debit account, that has this card tied to?
Regulators view this person/organization as a custodian and regulate them (for a reason).

Im trying to get .51 to run for over 3 afterwork evenings of trying now.... Still 'not capable masternode: Could not connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9999'

tried:
-compiled from source like i always do. (raspberry pi 2)
-running wallet .51 to try to start it
-check port on router, 9999
-deleted all files on masternode except dash.conf for a full rebuild.
-deleted all files on wallet except the wallet and conf, for a full rebuild
-sweared at it
-drank booze to ease myself

Also. I think bootstrap is bugged (at least for me). After about block 30.000-ish it stops syncing and renames the bootstrap.dat to bootstrap.dat.old. Restarting dashd continues the sync. Maybe thats the key. Ill try above stuff, including the booze, excluding the swearing and excluding the bootstrap one more time tonight and report back.

To follow up on my own problem. My log contains mainly:

2015-09-01 19:08:21 CheckBlock() : skipping transaction locking checks
2015-09-01 19:08:21 UpdateTip: new best=00000000003d80fea2d93bde78cba94bfb6a30afee58cf8991e0216bef607822 height=25342 log2_work=52.342203 tx=97753 date=2014-02-28 12:20:23 progress=0.026413 cache=31464
2015-09-01 19:08:21 ProcessNewBlock : ACCEPTED
2015-09-01 19:08:21 UpdateTip: new best=00000000007b32d9a6d51e55474f450f185ceec5f28554af893e7b2d08cc81f0 height=25343 log2_work=52.342364 tx=97754 date=2014-02-28 12:20:27 progress=0.026413 cache=31465
2015-09-01 19:08:21 ProcessNewBlock : ACCEPTED
2015-09-01 19:08:26 CheckBlock() : skipping transaction locking checks
2015-09-01 19:08:26 ProcessNewBlock : ACCEPTED

-Besides although i removed maxconnections, its stuck at exactly 8 connections always.
-During startup of dashd it reads about 7000 blocks, then it renames it to bootstrap.dat.OLD and starts downloading them.
-Block count creeps up sloooowwwwly.
-I got this also:

Binding RPC on address :: port 9998 (IPv4+IPv6 bind any: 1)
2015-09-01 18:02:15 ERROR: Binding RPC on address :: port 9998 failed: open: Address family not supported by protocol
2015-09-01 18:02:15 Binding RPC on address 0.0.0.0 port 9998 (IPv4+IPv6 bind any: 1)

and

Error: Couldn't open socket for incoming connections (socket returned error Address family not supported by protocol (97))
2015-09-01 18:02:15 Bound to 0.0.0.0:9999

EDIT: am i hijacking the thread? If so sorry... :p
EDIT2: Hold on. its adding blocks like the wind now. Boostrap.dat still live and not renamed.. Im so confused.
EDIT3: Ok stopped...

tail -f debug.log
2015-09-01 19:22:38 keypool reserve 2
2015-09-01 19:22:38 keypool return 2
2015-09-01 19:22:38 keypool reserve 2
2015-09-01 19:22:38 keypool return 2
2015-09-01 19:22:40 keypool reserve 2
2015-09-01 19:22:40 keypool return 2
2015-09-01 19:23:01 keypool reserve 2
2015-09-01 19:23:01 keypool return 2
2015-09-01 19:25:39 keypool reserve 2
2015-09-01 19:25:39 keypool return 2
2015-09-01 19:27:35 Loaded 24810 blocks from external file in 899974ms

renamed to .Old again :(
Back to 'skipping transaction locking checks'

EDIT4: concluded that 'skipping transaction locking checks' is in fact importing blocks from file. When using 'tail -f debug.log' all this stuff flies by on screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wallets have been getting more and more "Synchronization failed...", and it took "mnsync reset" 6 times for one wallet to sync through.
This is v0.12.0.51-afa37a8 - win64-bit.

upload_2015-9-1_16-9-11.png

My wallets have been getting more and more "Synchronization failed...", and it took "mnsync reset" 6 times for one wallet to sync through.
This is v0.12.0.51-afa37a8 - win64-bit.
Same here. win64 windows 8. Gets to 75% and can take 10minutes to get through. Has failed a few times. It seems that this is depended on when it is syncing. Last night it couldn't get past 75%, even restarted several times. I didn't try the mnsync command, but did delete the peers.dat which didn't help Just tried loading now and it loaded right up in about a minute. I have an i7 and fast internet. The wait time is due to a network/communication failure - my machine isn't using the cpu or bandwidth while it is waiting.

Im trying to get .51 to run for over 3 afterwork evenings of trying now.... Still 'not capable masternode: Could not connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9999'
Sometimes it stuck at 50% or 75% mn winners syncing. Try on hot side './dash-cli mnsync reset', wait few minutes and then cold start. It helped me

edit: now I see that you tried :smile:

My masternode's run-time is 6 days and has not been paid for 11 days. I keep seeing masternodes that have run-times of like 14 days being chosen for payment (having been paid only 4 days ago) instead of my MN. For instance this one...

XnG1dkS8EV2pMPTk6JDE4AvTesQa4a3FjT

How is it possible that this masternode's running time is 14 days? Didn't they have to restart when they upgraded? Is the payment system working as designed? Is it being gamed?

Masternodes that upgraded when v12 came out may never have gone off line. It's been 3 weeks now. The account you posted: XnG1dkS8EV2pMPTk6JDE4AvTesQa4a3FjT, does not show up on dashninja.pl. Something is wrong with it. If you're not running version 12, you will not get paid. You may also have gotten on the wrong fork (currently, we're on block number 329369 https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/ )

Now I realize you asked this question a while ago, and you may have taken hat MN down in the mean time, but just in case:
make sure you're running the latest version
make sure that you reindexed your node. Personally, I remove everything in my .dash folder EXCEPT wallet.dat and my .conf files (dash.conf and / or masternode.conf)
make sure, after the daemon has updated completely, start your local wallet with the 1000 dash in it, and start your masternode, check that your remote sees it with masternode debug, then it should be fine.

Anytime we are on a protocol that isn't changing (usually only changes with new versions), then you should never restart the masternode from the local wallet. That will send you to the back of the line payment wise. As long as your masternode is not off line more than 70 minutes, all you need to do is restart your remote daemon.

If you haven't already, check the wiki, there are instructions on how to implement a cron job to restart the daemon should your server be restarted, which sometimes happens with service providers. Also, there is now a script to check if your masternode is running, ever few minutes, and if it's not, it restarts the daemon. These two backups are really a good idea to implement as you can't be there 24-7.

Masternodes that upgraded when v12 came out may never have gone off line...

Thank you for responding! First off, dashninja is a little wonky lately -- I usually have to load the page that details the MN, and then refresh the page to get it to display anything. Dashnodes works better...

I'm using a hosting service, so I am at their mercy if my MN goes offline and I have to do a remote restart.

I'm starting to wonder if it's really possible to create a mechanism whereby the MNs reliably come to a consensus about who among them gets rewarded next (currently we can't seem to maintain consensus). This is a hard problem that probably needs to be modeled using chaos theory (not that I know much about it). It might feature unexpected oscillations and feedback loops. Also, as the software is open source, what about people tweaking it to try to gain advantage. For example, is it possible to alter the code such that one could do a remote restart on the sly? If Dash gets more valuable, you can be sure people will try to game this.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back