• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

You should disable (grey out) upnp + inbound connections when someone uses Socks5.

Bowser

Hello, I speak french but I can speak english too, I guess it will be easier for everyone to correspond in english since as far as I know the developers don't speak french.

So, yeah. Checking "use proxy" means the proxy will NOT be used (or both the proxy and the standard connection will be used?!) when "Allow Upnp" and "Allow inbound" are checked, and both are checked by default.

How to verify:
Check "Allow Upnp" + "Allow inbound" + "Use Proxy" (I use Tor, so 127.0.0.1 9150)
Then check "Tools > Peers list".

You will see "via (your own IP address)". This means the Socks5 proxy (tor or whatever else) doesn't work.

Edit: Dash Core version v0.12.0.45-b2b2cef (32-bit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another interesting fact: when you use Tor, you will see a lot of different "via" IP addresses. This means Dash Core doesn't use only one, but many proxy connections, therefore, for Tor, many different IP addresses (tor exit nodes) to do its job, for a single wallet. Is it a bad thing?

Edit (again) I'm using: Dash Core version v0.12.0.45-b2b2cef (32-bit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I speak french but I can speak english too, I guess it will be easier for everyone to correspond in english since as far as I know the developers don't speak french.

So, yeah. Checking "use proxy" means the proxy will NOT be used (or both the proxy and the standard connection will be used?!) when "Allow Upnp" and "Allow inbound" are checked, and both are checked by default.

How to verify:
Check "Allow Upnp" + "Allow inbound" + "Use Proxy" (I use Tor, so 127.0.0.1 9150)
Then check "Tools > Peers list".

You will see "via (your own IP address)". This means the Socks5 proxy (tor or whatever else) doesn't work.

Edit: Dash Core version v0.12.0.45-b2b2cef (32-bit)

Hi there,

Nope, that means that you asked wallet to listen for incoming connections and it does. By default it will listen on all interfaces so you need to restrict it if that behaviour is not desired by binding to some specific interface, for example:
Code:
bind=127.0.0.1

Another interesting fact: when you use Tor, you will see a lot of different "via" IP addresses. This means Dash Core doesn't use only one, but many proxy connections, therefore, for Tor, many different IP addresses (tor exit nodes) to do its job, for a single wallet. Is it a bad thing?

Edit (again) I'm using: Dash Core version v0.12.0.45-b2b2cef (32-bit)
Nope (again:grin:), that's a good thing imo. That should reduce the chance to stuck on a "bad" exit node.
Can be improved even further though https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/5911 (we don't have this in our code yet).

Hi there,

Nope, that means that you asked wallet to listen for incoming connections and it does. By default it will listen on all interfaces so you need to restrict it if that behaviour is not desired by binding to some specific interface (...)

Oh, ok... Hmm, well, this could mix up some people and cause them some security issues (not my case), but I'll let you judge. :p
Thanks!

Back