• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash ticker standardization ISO 4217:2008

yidakee

Foundation Member
I don't know if this has been discussed in more detail, but thediffrence brought this up over at the Rolling Thread, and it's very pertinent. The sooner we know what we're dealing with, the better.

I should have thought of this earlier myself, given than my Dad was amongst the first over these parts of the world to certify companies with ISO standards...

BitFinex, for instance, will not change DRK to DASH because they comply to the 3-letter limit. Kraken, which is probably the most fierce compliance and standards operators out there, go to the extent to comply with non-country X codes, like BTC which is XBT. I really believe this may be a huge reason for them not to adopt us, and I'd love to see Dash on Kraken...

To fully comply, we should start with an X, referring to non-country currencies.

ISO 4217:2008 is maintained by the Secretariat of the Maintenance Agency, in this case the SIX Interbank Clearing Ltd on behalf of the Swiss Association for Standardization, SNV.

ISO 4217:2008
Codes for the representation of currencies and funds

Maintenance Agency
c/o . (currency-iso) RA/MA
SIX Interbank Clearing Ltd (acting on behalf of the Swiss Association for Standardization)
P.O. Box
Hardturmstrasse 201
8021 Zurich
Switzerland

Tel: +41 58 399 2999
Fax: +41 58 499 4550
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.currency-iso.org

Currency Code Services – ISO 4217 Maintenance Agency
Intended for use in any application of trade, commerce and banking, as well as in the public sector, the currency codes of the ISO 4217 standard are equally suitable for manual use or in information technology applications. As the only recognized, authoritative source on currency code designations, this website supplies interested parties with the most up-to-date currency codes.

Here are is a list of all the current officially recognized non-country currencies and funds codes

ZZ07_No_Currency The codes assigned for transactions where no currency is involved XXX 999 N.A.
MEMBER COUNTRIES OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP
ADB Unit of Account XUA 965 N.A.
ZZ06_Testing_Code
Codes specifically reserved for testing purposes XTS 963 N.A.
SISTEMA UNITARIO DE COMPENSACION REGIONAL DE PAGOS "SUCRE"
Sucre XSU 994 N.A.
ZZ10_Platinum
Platinum XPT 962 N.A.
FRENCH POLYNESIA
CFP Franc XPF 953 0
NEW CALEDONIA
CFP Franc XPF 953 0
WALLIS AND FUTUNA
CFP Franc XPF 953 0
ZZ09_Palladium
Palladium XPD 964 N.A.
BENIN
CFA Franc BCEAO XOF 952 0
BURKINA FASO
CÔTE D'IVOIRE
GUINEA-BISSAU
MALI
NIGER
SENEGAL
TOGO
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF)
SDR (Special Drawing Right) XDR 960 N.A.
ANGUILLA
East Caribbean Dollar XCD 951 2
ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
DOMINICA
GRENADA
MONTSERRAT
SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS
SAINT LUCIA
SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES
ZZ04_Bond Markets Unit European_EUA-17
Bond Markets Unit European Unit of Account 17 (E.U.A.-17) XBD 958 N.A.
ZZ03_Bond Markets Unit European_EUA-9
Bond Markets Unit European Unit of Account 9 (E.U.A.-9) XBC 957 N.A.
ZZ02_Bond Markets Unit European_EMU-6
Bond Markets Unit European Monetary Unit (E.M.U.-6) XBB 956 N.A.
ZZ01_Bond Markets Unit European_EURCO
Bond Markets Unit European Composite Unit (EURCO) XBA 955 N.A.
ZZ08_Gold
Gold XAU 959 N.A.
ZZ11_Silver
Silver XAG 961 N.A.
CAMEROON
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
CHAD
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
CONGO
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
EQUATORIAL GUINEA
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
GABON
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0

As you can see, there are no crypto-currencies on that list. Bitcoin is XBT, I suspect it's work in progress, and a huge can of worms.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-needs-iso-certified-currency-code/
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-gaining-market-based-legitimacy-xbt/

I'll have a word with my Dad, and look into what i needed to file an application, at worse to see what we're dealing with. In the meantime, it would be cool for the community to discuss what our 3 letter moniker should be.

To me, XDH seems obvious, but I frankly there may be some rules to follow regarding it, so a short list would be awesome. I'll open a poll once we have a few candidates. Also, if anyone has more in depth knowledge/info about this, please step up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he was ignored, it's more likely nobody knows about ISO enough to pursue the issue. In this case, I can be of help. It's obviously going to be a tremendous can of worms, but I do have access to some professional in the area, so I'm looking it up.
Cool... Go for it. It's not too late to reopen this issue as I do agree with you that we need to re-evaluate this and make a change.

Here is the ISO 4217 documentation. It's behind a paywall :what: goddamn paywalls... how can public domain interests be behing f*cking paywalls... one of the things that I simply can't make sense of, reminds me of my science research years... ug!! the frustration...

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:46121:en

Costs 158 CHF = 152.6 EUR. Not that expensive. Will try to find someone that has free access, if that exists...

I've already looked into this, and also came to the conclusion that XDH is the best one.

XDC - Canadian Dollar, wouldn't work.
XDS - Swiss Franc, wouldn't work.
XDD - Dash, Dash?

XDH - Available, incorporates the first and last letters of Dash.

That's what has my vote.

EDIT: After seeing a post in The Rolling Thread, I switch my vote to XDD:

https://twitter.com/TaoOfSatoshi/status/603004281055117312?s=09

Well we also chose the name Dash partly to distance ourselves from the whole "-coin" naming convention, thereby avoiding an eternal "second-fiddle" perception. Leaving a C there still invites some misunderstanding. We should be clear and consistent in order to make the name stand on its own as a true alternative to "Bitcoin," .
How about XDA? Reads like "X-Dash," just abbreviated to "X-Da."

XDA looks good. DA is not on the list of two-letter country codes and XDA is not on the list of three-letter country codes according to Wikipedia.

As I mentioned in the rolling thread, I thought the idea was with rebranding was disassociation from the Darkcoin name. Referencing Darkcoin in the ticker name is counterproductive in my opinion.

I don't know if this has been discussed in more detail, but thediffrence brought this up over at the Rolling Thread, and it's very pertinent. The sooner we know what we're dealing with, the better.

I should have thought of this earlier myself, given than my Dad was amongst the first over these parts of the world to certify companies with ISO standards...

BitFinex, for instance, will not change DRK to DASH because they comply to the 3-letter limit. Kraken, which is probably the most fierce compliance and standards operators out there, go to the extent to comply with non-country X codes, like BTC which is XBT. I really believe this may be a huge reason for them not to adopt us, and I'd love to see Dash on Kraken...

To fully comply, we should start with an X, referring to non-country currencies.

ISO 4217:2008 is maintained by the Secretariat of the Maintenance Agency, in this case the SIX Interbank Clearing Ltd on behalf of the Swiss Association for Standardization, SNV.

ISO 4217:2008
Codes for the representation of currencies and funds

Maintenance Agency
c/o . (currency-iso) RA/MA
SIX Interbank Clearing Ltd (acting on behalf of the Swiss Association for Standardization)
P.O. Box
Hardturmstrasse 201
8021 Zurich
Switzerland

Tel: +41 58 399 2999
Fax: +41 58 499 4550
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.currency-iso.org

Here are is a list of all the current officially recognized non-country currencies and funds codes

ZZ07_No_Currency The codes assigned for transactions where no currency is involved XXX 999 N.A.
MEMBER COUNTRIES OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP
ADB Unit of Account XUA 965 N.A.
ZZ06_Testing_Code
Codes specifically reserved for testing purposes XTS 963 N.A.
SISTEMA UNITARIO DE COMPENSACION REGIONAL DE PAGOS "SUCRE"
Sucre XSU 994 N.A.
ZZ10_Platinum
Platinum XPT 962 N.A.
FRENCH POLYNESIA
CFP Franc XPF 953 0
NEW CALEDONIA
CFP Franc XPF 953 0
WALLIS AND FUTUNA
CFP Franc XPF 953 0
ZZ09_Palladium
Palladium XPD 964 N.A.
BENIN
BURKINA FASO
CÔTE D'IVOIRE
GUINEA-BISSAU
MALI
NIGER
SENEGAL
TOGO
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF)
SDR (Special Drawing Right) XDR 960 N.A.
ANGUILLA
ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
DOMINICA
GRENADA
MONTSERRAT
SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS
SAINT LUCIA
SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES
ZZ04_Bond Markets Unit European_EUA-17
Bond Markets Unit European Unit of Account 17 (E.U.A.-17) XBD 958 N.A.
ZZ03_Bond Markets Unit European_EUA-9
Bond Markets Unit European Unit of Account 9 (E.U.A.-9) XBC 957 N.A.
ZZ02_Bond Markets Unit European_EMU-6
Bond Markets Unit European Monetary Unit (E.M.U.-6) XBB 956 N.A.
ZZ01_Bond Markets Unit European_EURCO
Bond Markets Unit European Composite Unit (EURCO) XBA 955 N.A.
ZZ08_Gold
Gold XAU 959 N.A.
ZZ11_Silver
Silver XAG 961 N.A.
CAMEROON
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
CHAD
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
CONGO
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
EQUATORIAL GUINEA
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0
GABON
CFA Franc BEAC XAF 950 0

As you can see, there are no crypto-currencies on that list. Bitcoin is XBT, I suspect it's work in progress, and a huge can of worms.

I'll have a word with my Dad, and look into what i needed to file an application, at worse to see what we're dealing with. In the meantime, it would be cool for the community to discuss what our 3 letter moniker should be.

To me, XDH seems obvious, but I frankly there may be some rules to follow regarding it, so a short list would be awesome. I'll open a poll once we have a few candidates. Also, if anyone has more in depth knowledge/info about this, please step up.
What are Evans thoughts?. Surely there is a master plan which should include this.

XDA looks good. DA is not on the list of two-letter country codes and XDA is not on the list of three-letter country codes according to Wikipedia.

As I mentioned in the rolling thread, I thought the idea was with rebranding was disassociation from the Darkcoin name. Referencing Darkcoin in the ticker name is counterproductive in my opinion.

Yeah, I was just putting it out there... The thing is, we can essentially choose what ticker we want. Another issue if it's compliant or not. We can only know if the ISO documents are bought. Then it's a matter of being audited and certified.

What are Evans thoughts?. Surely there is a master plan which should include this.

Haven't discussed this with Evan, but I am skyping with kot soon (Project Management and Delivery Excellence) and take it from there.

Haven't discussed this with Evan, but I am skyping with kot soon (Project Management and Delivery Excellence) and take it from there.
IMO, we should race ahead of the other coins and stand out as a leader of the pack.

Something else to consider: A new ticker might also be a good opportunity to find a search term that's more SEO-friendly than "Dash" is. Googling Dash is a pain, so a code that's not overly common would make it easier to find relevant information about this Dash.

Something else to consider: A new ticker might also be a good opportunity to find a search term that's more SEO-friendly than "Dash" is. Googling Dash is a pain, so a code that's not overly common would make it easier to find relevant information about this Dash.
This is a valid consideration.

IMO, we should race ahead of the other coins and stand out as a leader of the pack.

Let be clear about one thing. Even if we do manage to fulfil all the necessary requirements to apply for an ISO certification, the is no guarantee we'll get it. That would essentially mean the ISO organisation recognises a crypto as a legitimate "standardisable" currency. This is a bit of a can of worms, because ISO's do have legal implications. So we really have no clue.

I know ISO's from an industrial point of view, not financial, but the same principle apply. So to recap,

- We can't necessarily choose what we want, we can provided it fully complies with requirements
- We do not know the requirements are for eligibility. Plus, crypto's are a complete novelty in the sector. But I'm sure having a Foundation will be crucial.
- What will be audited, github?
- We're already self-organizing way better and faster than anyone out there. I don't see it as a race, but superiority through quality.

Let be clear about one thing. Even if we do manage to fulfil all the necessary requirements to apply for an ISO certification, the is no guarantee we'll get it. That would essentially mean the ISO organisation recognises a crypto as a legitimate "standardisable" currency. This is a bit of a can of worms, because ISO's do have legal implications. So we really have no clue.

I know ISO's from an industrial point of view, not financial, but the same principle apply. So to recap,

- We can't necessarily choose what we want, we can provided it fully complies with requirements
- We do not know the requirements are for eligibility. Plus, crypto's are a complete novelty in the sector. But I'm sure having a Foundation will be crucial.
- What will be audited, github?
- We're already self-organizing way better and faster than anyone out there. I don't see it as a race, but superiority through quality.
Dash. Superiority through quality. Nice quote

Hopefully everything works out timing wise for your meeting! Super hard to coordinate real time meetings!

Hopefully everything works out timing wise for your meeting! Super hard to coordinate real time meetings!

It went well. Just a quick informal chat about ISO, nothing fancy. If anyone out there has a way of getting the actual ISO 4217:2008 document it would be great to have a look at and prepare for the future. If not, we'll have to buy it.

Back