• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

will operating system make much difference

joetoe

I have been using windows 7 64 bit with amd 14.4 drivers and have been getting fairly decent hashrates, but have recently installed windows 8.1 64 bit using amd 15.4 beta drivers. I have noticed my hashrates are a little lower but from different things I have read I assumed that 8.1 was a better OS to use for mining. Should I switch back to windows 7 or maybe change the driver I am using? any advice on this would be awesome thanks.

That's a good question. I use sgminer 5.1 made a basic conf file using darkcoinmod.cl then let it do its thing on start up and tweak the settings around, so I'm guessing it's the bin file created after start up. I'm using 2 5450 cards atm(saving up for the new r9's coming out) So I don't think w0lfs bin will work.

Another thing is that sgminer seems to stutter a little bit when changing settings......

Do you know what driver version you were using previously? It might be a lower hashrate due to the newer drivers.

I was using the 14.4 drivers and win7. Perhaps i should go back to that then see. Gotta go to work but will try that tonight and see if my hashrate goes back up.

So last night I went back and reinstalled the old drivers I was using and my hashrates have gone back to normal, ans actually are a little bit higher than what I was running with windows7. Not enough to say its just better running 8 but a couple % increase overall. Has anyone used PIMP to do any DASH mining and is it easy to set up? I was thinking of using that for a small dedicated miner but I dont wanna fight with an os for half a day to set something up.

So last night I went back and reinstalled the old drivers I was using and my hashrates have gone back to normal, ans actually are a little bit higher than what I was running with windows7. Not enough to say its just better running 8 but a couple % increase overall. Has anyone used PIMP to do any DASH mining and is it easy to set up? I was thinking of using that for a small dedicated miner but I dont wanna fight with an os for half a day to set something up.
Good to hear it worked! Yeah I didn't think 8 was the issue as I have had a good success rate with it.

Back