• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Bank Secrecy Act Violations in the Crypto World

chatterbox

Foundation Member
FinCEN Fines Ripple Labs for Bank Secrecy Act Violations
The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) has fined Ripple Labs and its subsidiary XRP II a combined $700,000 for "willful violations" of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA).

According to a
5th May press release by the US regulator, Ripple Labs failed to register as a money services business (MSB) with FinCEN prior to selling XRP, a digital token used to settle payments on the Ripple network. Additionally, the company is said to have failed to implement appropriate anti-money laundering (AML) procedures concurrent with its responsibilities as an MSB.

Similarly, its subsidiary, XRP II, is said to have acted unlawfully as an MSB without an effective AML program, failing to report “several” transactions said to be suspicious in nature.

The bulk of the violations against both companies appear to have taken place between 2013 and early 2014, according to a more
detailed addendum to the release.

Notably, the agreement between Ripple Labs, its subsidiary and FinCEN has also taken place at the same time as a settlement between the companies and the US Attorney’s Office in the Northern District of California. The Internal Revenue Service's Criminal Investigation Division also contributed to the investigation.

Ripple and XRP II agreed to pay $450,000 and settle “possible criminal charges" in connection with that investigation, with those funds being credited to the fine imposed by FinCEN.

FinCEN Director Jennifer Shasky Calvery said in a statement that the event should serve as a reminder to all US companies that facilitate the exchange digital currencies that they must ensure their products comply with AML law.
cont'd

Bank Secrecy Act
The Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 (or BSA, or otherwise known as the Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act) requires financial institutions in the United States to assist U.S. government agencies to detect and prevent money laundering. Specifically, the act requires financial institutions to keep records of cash purchases of negotiable instruments, and file reports of cash purchases of these negotiable instruments of more than $10,000 (daily aggregate amount), and to report suspicious activity that might signify money laundering, tax evasion, or other criminal activities.
Types of reports
The BSA regulations require all financial institutions to submit five types of reports to the government. The following is not an exhaustive list of reports to be filed. The FBAR has an individual filing requirement, as detailed below.

1. FinCEN Form 112 (formerly Form 104) Currency Transaction Report (CTR): A CTR must be filed for each deposit, withdrawal, exchange of currency, or other payment or transfer, by, through or to a financial institution, which involves a transaction in currency of more than $10,000. Multiple currency transactions must be treated as a single transaction if the financial institution has knowledge that: (a) they are conducted by or on behalf of the same person; and, (b) they result in cash received or disbursed by the financial institution of more than $10,000.[2]
  2. FinCEN Form 105 Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments (CMIR): Each person (including a bank) who physically transports, mails or ships, or causes to be physically transported, mailed, shipped or received, currency, traveler's checks, and certain other monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding $10,000 into or out of the United States must file a CMIR.[3]
  3. FinCEN Form 114 (formerly Treasury Department Form 90-22.1) Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR): Each person (including a bank) subject to the jurisdiction of the United States having an interest in, signature or other authority over, one or more bank, securities, or other financial accounts in a foreign country must file an FBAR if the aggregate value of such accounts at any point in a calendar year exceeds $10,000.[4] A recent District Court case in the 10th Circuit has significantly expanded the definition of "interest in" and "other Authority".[5]
  4. Treasury Department Form 90-22.47 and OCC Form 8010-9, 8010-1 Suspicious Activity Report (SAR): Banks must file a SAR for any suspicious transaction relevant to a possible violation of law or regulation.[6]
  5. FinCEN Form 110 Designation of Exempt Person: Banks must file this form to designate an exempt customer for the purpose of CTR reporting under the BSA.[7] In addition, banks use this form biennially (every two years) to renew exemptions for eligible non-listed business and payroll customers.[8]
It also requires any business receiving one or more related cash payments totalling more than $10,000 to file IRS/FinCEN Form 8300.[9]
-Wikipedia

How might this apply to Dash? Will this open a new interpretation to MasterNode operators as possible money transmitters?

Masternodes do not transfer anything but your own coins to yourself. Other than that (in terms of money transfers) they are just like any other node on Dash network. Or Bitcoin network. :rolleyes:

Masternodes do not transfer anything but your own coins to yourself. Other than that (in terms of money transfers) they are just like any other node on Dash network. Or Bitcoin network. :rolleyes:
I know but the interpretation is what matters. I hope the interpretation does not change...

I know but the interpretation is what matters. I hope the interpretation does not change...
Well... That's true too. But I guess Ripple Labs just shoot in their own foot with real IDs they introduced - they said "we can identify users". That part "if the financial institution has knowledge that..." made them guilty imo. And there is no such part in Dash/Bitcoin.

Well... That's true too. But I guess Ripple Labs just shoot in their own foot with real IDs they introduced - they said "we can identify users". That part "if the financial institution has knowledge that..." made them guilty imo. And there is no such part in Dash/Bitcoin.
I hope we can manage to provide both anonymity for the philosophy of liberty and not have it perverted by some financial organization simply because they deem it something lesser like money laundering. Cash should just be made illegal already right? -__-

While I don't support the way ripple was set up, I still hate the way they are getting shafted like that. It's like they are looking for every excuse to destroy innovation, and that's what scares me. I'm afraid of some person with more power than they should have will try to fight against our good cause due to ignorance and lack of understanding.

Back