• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Mining 4 Gpu in a case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolex

So currently I have a couple of gpu rigs and they are open air on racks with extenders and sit at around 70 c while running thew wolf0 binaries. Now if I want to keep on expanding my gpu rigs I believe I will have to run them in PC cases as the wife won't let me keep getting open air rigs in our apartment. So I know the Rosewill Thor (v1 and 2) can fit four gpu in it and if I use a motherboard like the BTC H81 probtc it has lots of pci slots ( I don't need them in x16 slots since it's mining) and I am able to fit 4 gpu's in a case what temperatures should I expect? I am guessing around a 10c increase in temp but that is based on a guess, should i keep the side off it or add case fans and pump air? Will 4 gpus in a case be overkill on temps?

I tried it ages ago and couldn't keep it cool enough. With a lot of fans very strategically placed it "may" be possible. Probably closed with fans blowing in on one side and blowing out on the other. Fans blowing directly into the metal side of the card really help but they would have to be outside of the case if you aren't using risers. The trouble with putting the cards in slots is largely that they are too close together.

Works fine in a plastic crate with a cover with holes in it. Might be slightly less offensive than a fully open air rig?

YEs the temp in the case will burn the gpu`s, I had 2 gpus only and had 8 degrees more than in an open case, having 4 gpu tyou can imagine.
I had 73 before after got 80-83.
If you want to keep them fresh you need to provide good cooling than.

Ok, you don't mention what GPU's you're using but I have just made some measurements ..

Tower+Mobo in total on tick over = 110 watts
Equivalent 4 GPU power consumption including mobo =110 + (226 * 4) = 1014 watts = 1 kilowatt
You will being producing almost exactly the same as a 1 kilowatt fan heater, so it will be quite a lot of heat in a small room in the summer!

R9 290 OC (with wolf0 bins):

Hash speed = 7300 kilohashes
Power increase at plug when mining X11 = 226 watts
Kilo Hashes per watt = 32 kilohash

AMD 6950 (for comparision without wolf0 bins)

Hash speed = 1700 kilohashes
Power increase at plug when mining X11 = 116 watts
kilo hashes per watt = 14 kilohash

I tried it ages ago and couldn't keep it cool enough. With a lot of fans very strategically placed it "may" be possible. Probably closed with fans blowing in on one side and blowing out on the other. Fans blowing directly into the metal side of the card really help but they would have to be outside of the case if you aren't using risers. The trouble with putting the cards in slots is largely that they are too close together.

Works fine in a plastic crate with a cover with holes in it. Might be slightly less offensive than a fully open air rig?

Agree, its very important to keep the cards as far apart as possible, and perhaps have some sort of small extractor to the outside as this will stress the GPU fans less and stop the heat building up in the room.
suggest a small desktop fan over the GPU array to keep things more even.

Alright well 3 gpus in a case seem a lot cheaper, there is the 50$ mobo that is made for BTC mining with risers but should be fine in a case and fit 3 cards with a standard atx case. So like Mobo and case is 70-80 depending on design and airflow looks decent I just wonder how high temps would go with three gpu in a standard atx.

Ok, you don't mention what GPU's you're using but I have just made some measurements ..

Tower+Mobo in total on tick over = 110 watts
Equivalent 4 GPU power consumption including mobo =110 + (226 * 4) = 1014 watts = 1 kilowatt
You will being producing almost exactly the same as a 1 kilowatt fan heater, so it will be quite a lot of heat in a small room in the summer!

R9 290 OC (with wolf0 bins):

Hash speed = 7300 kilohashes
Power increase at plug when mining X11 = 226 watts
Kilo Hashes per watt = 32 kilohash

AMD 6950 (for comparision without wolf0 bins)

Hash speed = 1700 kilohashes
Power increase at plug when mining X11 = 116 watts
kilo hashes per watt = 14 kilohash

I am using mostly 7950's and 7970's currently have 2 7970's with 3 more on the way and 3 7950s on the way, these should all fit on my rack but if I want to expand more I need a case.

I am using mostly 7950's and 7970's currently have 2 7970's with 3 more on the way and 3 7950s on the way, these should all fit on my rack but if I want to expand more I need a case.

I would check the power consumption on the 7950/7970's before ordering too many, am thinking they may be more than you think.

I would check the power consumption on the 7950/7970's before ordering too many, am thinking they may be more than you think.
Should be around 260w per 7970 and 7950 around 200w. I have decently cheap power (.06/kwh) and I am not making a crazy farm, currently I have 2 7970, 2 270x, 1 6950 mining. This shouldn't be too much more and I will only grow the mining operation as it continues to be fun and possible on the electric.

If you're talking psu I am spacing these all out on three different rigs on 1200w psu's.

Should be around 260w per 7970 and 7950 around 200w. I have decently cheap power (.06/kwh) and I am not making a crazy farm, currently I have 2 7970, 2 270x, 1 6950 mining. This shouldn't be too much more and I will only grow the mining operation as it continues to be fun and possible on the electric.

If you're talking psu I am spacing these all out on three different rigs on 1200w psu's.

That is cheap power, so what are you getting for the 7950 and 7970 for hash speed then ?

That is cheap power, so what are you getting for the 7950 and 7970 for hash speed then ?
7970 is giving 5.6mh and the 270x are giving 4mh so I expect the 7950 should 4mh as well.

I use wolf0 mods

7970 is giving 5.6mh and the 270x are giving 4mh so I expect the 7950 should 4mh as well.

I use wolf0 mods

So using your figures:-

7950: Kilohash per watt = 4000 / 200 = 20 kilohashes / watt
7970 : kilohash per watt = 5600 / 260 = 21.5 kilohashes / watt

Thats looks about right, you sat in the middle of my R9 290 = 32 khash and the AMD 6950 = 14 khash as expected.

Seems we all have similar figures. ultimately it all depends on how much you pay for power and what your cooling requirements are.

BTW unrelated to the subject, just to clear up things: hashing speed is usually denoted in (kilo)hashes per second = kH/s, power consumption is denoted in Watts = W = J/s since, so hashing speed per W = (kH/s) / (J/s) = kH / J. That kH/J unit has a meaning of how many (kilo) hashes you get per unit of energy you spend. Energy is what you ultimately pay for, although usually you don't see how many J you've spend on your utility bill, instead they quote you kWh = 3600 kJ.

This clarification also let's you calculate your profitability threshold, that is if your 7950 hashes at 4 MH/s, and the average difficulty is about 3000 and the average block reward is 3 Dash/block, you will need on average 3000 * 2^32 Hashes to produce one block which will yield about 3 Dash and it will take on average 38 days to get a block with your hashing speed. So on average you will get 0.08 Dash/day.

Assuming your electricity rate is 0.1 $/kWh and Btc exchange rate is 240 and Btc/Dash rate is 0.011, your card will spend 24 * 0.2 kWh / day * 0.1 $/kWh / (240 Btc/$) / (0.011 BTC/Dash) = 0.18 Dash/day.

You can see you're way below the waterline (you get 0.08 Dash by spending 0.18 Dash) unless:
- Exchange rate goes up
- Difficulty goes down (this will help dramatically as with lower diff now only you need to spend less energy to solve a block but you will also get more Dashes per block)
- Your card uses less power - undervolting
- Your electricity rate goes way down.

If you're speculating that ultimately you'll be profitable because exchange rate will go up then you'd be better off by buying Dash of the exchange directly.

Hope this helps...

Check out this case ... 21 fan capacity

Thermaltake Core X9 Black E-ATX Tt LCS Certified Cube Chassis CA-1D8-00F1WN-00 PC Computer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back