• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Request: How to keep wallet offline and safe.

Did you manage to import your privkey from the paper wallet successfully? You got all your coins in the wallet, correct? Please do tell us. I can't wait to hear how that turned out for you! :smile:

Still no joy.... after I did wallet passphrase and then importprivkey I used the decrypted key "52 characters Base58" the funds still did not transfer. But I checked in the blockchain explorer the funds are still there.

Still no joy.... after I did wallet passphrase and then importprivkey I used the decrypted key "52 characters Base58" the funds still did not transfer. But I checked in the blockchain explorer the funds are still there.
Hmm.. that's odd. Did you follow Udjin's advice from his post: https://dashtalk.org/threads/request-how-to-keep-wallet-offline-and-safe.4535/#post-52112 ?

I'm going to list the steps in his instruction to make it a bit clearer:
1. Go to "Wallet Details" tab, enter your bip38 privkey,
2. Click view details, enter bip38 password,
3. Grab "Private Key WIF Compressed (52 characters Base58)" "Private Key WIF (51 characters) Base58" and import it into wallet.
(You can do this completely offline to be safe)

Maybe try this instruction again and see if it works? Note that he said to import your "Private Key WIF Compressed (52 characters Base58)" "Private Key WIF (51 characters) Base58" to your wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. that's odd. Did you follow Udjin's advice from his post: https://dashtalk.org/threads/request-how-to-keep-wallet-offline-and-safe.4535/#post-52112 ?

I'm going to list the steps in his instruction to make it a bit clearer:
1. Go to "Wallet Details" tab, enter your bip38 privkey,
2. Click view details, enter bip38 password,
3. Grab "Private Key WIF Compressed (52 characters Base58)" and import it into wallet. (You can do this completely offline to be safe)

Maybe try this instruction again and see if it works? Note that he said to import your "Private Key WIF Compressed (52 characters Base58)" to your wallet.

I tried twice with the above instructions. Still did not work. Is there anything else im missing on the script? Or do I have put the amount? importprivkey "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" "12345"?

I tried twice with the above instructions. Still did not work. Is there anything else im missing on the script? Or do I have put the amount? importprivkey "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" "12345"?

you have to unlock your wallet first

Code:
walletpassphrase <yourpasswordhere> 120
importprivkey <yourwif> <a_label>

where a_label is a label you want to attach to the address. e.g. "paper_wallet_Xblahbla"

your wif will start with a X -- here's a random one as an example: XBKyyfrysJjh6mQJt9emW86xzieJDM4LfxAbanZXMYAmxdbRKDUz

you have to unlock your wallet first

Code:
walletpassphrase <yourpasswordhere> 120
importprivkey <yourwif> <a_label>

where a_label is a label you want to attach to the address. e.g. "paper_wallet_Xblahbla"

your wif will start with a X -- here's a random one as an example: XBKyyfrysJjh6mQJt9emW86xzieJDM4LfxAbanZXMYAmxdbRKDUz

Yes, the WIF is the one I used and it started with an X. Still no joy. Ok I understand the pairing of the public key and the decrypted private key to access the funds. But here's my question. Whenever I import my decrypted privatekey to my dash qt wallet. How would I know that I am pairing it the public key that I have on my paper wallet? The scripts by the way are working fine I don't get any error message whenever I input them. Its just nothing happens when I enter the walletphrase "xxxxx" "label" and then importprivkey "xxxxxxxx"

Hmmm strange....
Do you get any kind of error msg?
edit: moli LOL walletphrase just passed me and I didn`t saw the error ;)

Yes, the WIF is the one I used and it started with an X. Still no joy. Ok I understand the pairing of the public key and the decrypted private key to access the funds. But here's my question. Whenever I import my decrypted privatekey to my dash qt wallet. How would I know that I am pairing it the public key that I have on my paper wallet? The scripts by the way are working fine I don't get any error message whenever I input them. Its just nothing happens when I enter the walletphrase "xxxxx" "label" and then importprivkey "xxxxxxxx"
It's not "walletphrase". It's "walletpassphrase". So I guess you typed the wrong word in and that was why it didn't work? Again, here are the steps:
  • Step 1: walletpassphrase <yourpassphrase> 600
    (To open your wallet for 10 minutes)

• Step 2: importprivkey <yourprivkey> <label>
    (To import your private key. You can disregard label or type a name for your address there.)

It's not "walletphrase". It's "walletpassphrase". So I guess you typed the wrong word in and that was why it didn't work? Again, here are the steps:
  • Step 1: walletpassphrase <yourpassphrase> 600
    (To open your wallet for 10 minutes)

• Step 2: importprivkey <yourprivkey> <label>
    (To import your private key. You can disregard label or type a name for your address there.)
I meant to type "walletpassphrase" pls ignore that part of the post that would've gave me an error message. I have tried multiple times with your instruction above. Now im thinking of backing up and then emptying my wallet uninstall and re install see If that works.

I meant to type "walletpassphrase" pls ignore that part of the post that would've gave me an error message. I have tried multiple times with your instruction above. Now im thinking of backing up and then emptying my wallet uninstall and re install see If that works.
Any luck?

Ok, that was my bad I guess.. :oops: I thought those bip38 implementations use compressed format and I was surprised to find out that walletgenerator actually use obsolete uncompressed format by default. I guess your bip38 encoder does so too.
So. In that case to get access to your funds you need to decrypt it as you already did before but import "Private Key WIF (51 characters) Base58" instead.
Sorry for that confusion...

I've tried that too that's the private key that starts with 7 right? "Private Key WIF (51 characters) Base58". Did not work as well. So far I've tried importing Private Key WIF (51 characters Base58 and private key 52 characters Base58. Still no joy.

I've tried that too that's the private key that starts with 7 right? "Private Key WIF (51 characters) Base58". Did not work as well. So far I've tried importing Private Key WIF (51 characters Base58 and private key 52 characters Base58. Still no joy.
Hmmm....ok, let's review what exactly are you trying to do and what you expect to happen. Step by step from the very beginning pls.

Hmmm....ok, let's review what exactly are you trying to do and what you expect to happen. Step by step from the very beginning pls.

I am trying to withdraw funds out of my bip38 encrypted paper wallet onto my dash qt wallet.
1.I decrypted my privkey from wallet generator site via the wallet details tab.
2. Grabbed the decrypted privkey. Private Key WIF 51 characters Base58 and private key 52 characters Base58
3. Went back to debug window unlock the dash qt wallet first and then input walletpassphrase "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" "99999"
Entered the script importprivkey "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

So ive tried importing private key with both private key 51 characters Base58 starts with "X" & 52 characters Base58 STARTS WITH "7". Funds are not moving. I checked dash block chain explorer the funds are still there.

I am trying to withdraw funds out of my bip38 encrypted paper wallet onto my dash qt wallet.
1.I decrypted my privkey from wallet generator site via the wallet details tab.
2. Grabbed the decrypted privkey. Private Key WIF 51 characters Base58 and private key 52 characters Base58
3. Went back to debug window unlock the dash qt wallet first and then input walletpassphrase "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" "99999"
Entered the script importprivkey "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

So ive tried importing private key with both private key 51 characters Base58 starts with "X" & 52 characters Base58 STARTS WITH "7". Funds are not moving. I checked dash block chain explorer the funds are still there.

I guess there is some misunderstanding:
importing private keys = gaining access to funds
sending transaction = moving funds

To move funds you need to have access in the fist place but simply gaining access does not move your funds.

Have you ever funded this paper wallet address? What address do you check in blockchain (do not tell the exact one if you want to keep it private, just where you got it from)?

Yes I have funded it. I check the public address in the blockchain. Don't I get the funds instantly after importing private keys?

Yes I have funded it. I check the public address in the blockchain. Don't I get the funds instantly after importing private keys?
If that is correct private key (the one that corresponds to Dash address) you should see them in wallet balance right after you imported private key. But technically saying funds do not move anywhere, you just see them and can control in some way.

When you decrypt bip38 private key - does any of public keys on Wallet Details page match the one you are trying to check via blockchain explorer?

Yes the public keys match from the wallet detail to the blockchain explorer. S o how do move those funds to my wallet? Just to let you know ive tried sendfrom address and sendto address scripts to ive been trying all kinds of commands fom the help menu the following are the things ive tried
-senfrom "dashaddress" "toaddress" amount
-sendtoaddress "dashaddress" amount.

I receive a message saying insuffiecient funds. This is after checking from blockchain and verifying that there are funds. Thanks for your help by the way

Yes the public keys match from the wallet detail to the blockchain explorer. S o how do move those funds to my wallet? Just to let you know ive tried sendfrom
What do you mean about "S o how do move those funds to my wallet?" ?
If you have imported the correct private key to your wallet, the money shows up in your wallet, that is how you move funds to your wallet. Maybe restart your wallet and see if it shows up for you.

I mean transfer or withdraw or ...whats the right word. Ive tried that too on restarting the wallet still no joy.

Back