• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

1st Masternode... Should I wait?

Super8

Hi, I'm a new member here and am glad to be part of this. I've been steadily buying drk over the past weeks and just as I finally managed to get to the 1000 coins I needed, the rebranding to dash took place.

I'm happy to try and follow the guides from Tao et al re setting up a Masternode, but I am nervous to do so because of the the need to rename things. I'm not particularly strong technically, but I beleive I can work through the instructions. (other ppl have done it after all.)

Can someone give me some feedback or suggestions please?

Should I update my coin wallet from 0.1.11.25 to the rebrand 0.1.11.26 before attempting to set up a Masternode?

Should I perhaps wait (I am a patient person) until the dust has settled and get a Masternode after the next mandatory update, just to save myself a lot of renaming heartache?

Any suggestions for a noobie pls! Thanks all.

as I am as much tech dummy as you
I would honestly wait
I am just in the process of encouraging all guide writers/ owners to fix theirs

or call yidakee for help !

Thanks. It's good to know the guides will soon be updated. I'll do some research and as much learning as I can in the meantime and perhaps I'll reach out to yidakee as well. Cheers.

Thanks, I'm looking into it right now. I'm just a bit worried about getting it to work (hopefully) and then immediately having to upgrade and/or rename everything. It does seem a bit daunting to me as a newbie, and I cant afford to mess this up. Hmmm.....

A few weeks ago, I used these instructions https://dashtalk.org/threads/window...allation-guide-updated-08-february-2015.3881/ to get my wallet installed.

I'm wondering if I should create safe backups to usb sticks, and then maybe install version 0.1.11.26 fresh on my (vista) pc.

This way, I would have 2 wallets and I could then look at creating a Masternode and use either wallet....? (I've only got 1000 dash so I know I would need to select just one of these options)

I am confused. There's a lot to take in here. And the rebrand timing is a little unfortunate for me. (I'm not anti rebrand tho.)

Any thoughts pls?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what I mean is, I download a fresh new dash wallet (version 26) ... Then send my dash there from my existing wallet ( version 25) and then follow the original Tao Masternode guide which appears to have been updated for Dash (although the Tao Masternode update guide link leads to an un-updated Masternode guide..)

Anyway, does this sound feasible?

I do not suggest you to put the 1k deposit in the same PC you use for daily surfing, especially if it is running Windows.
Anyway if you have only one available PC I advice you to do create an encrypted partition within it and mount a linux virtual machine in it. Ubuntu would be fine.

https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides/creating-a-vm-within-a-hidden-truecrypt-partition

Anyway if you have now a 1k Vin deposit do this:
-go on the console windows on the dash wallet
-type wallet passphrase <yourpass> 120 (120 means 120seconds of wallet being unlocked)
- dumpprivkey <address> (the address where your got deposit)
-store the key in a safe place

This is a good security measure in case you lost your wallet.dat.
In the future you will be able to import the address in every new wallet with the command.
importprivkey <privatekey>

Thanks, I'm looking into it right now. I'm just a bit worried about getting it to work (hopefully) and then immediately having to upgrade and/or rename everything. It does seem a bit daunting to me as a newbie, and I cant afford to mess this up. Hmmm.....

A few weeks ago, I used these instructions https://dashtalk.org/threads/window...allation-guide-updated-08-february-2015.3881/ to get my wallet installed.

I'm wondering if I should create safe backups to usb sticks, and then maybe install version 0.1.11.26 fresh on my (vista) pc.

This way, I would have 2 wallets and I could then look at creating a Masternode and use either wallet....? (I've only got 1000 dash so I know I would need to select just one of these options)

I am confused. There's a lot to take in here. And the rebrand timing is a little unfortunate for me. (I'm not anti rebrand tho.)

Any thoughts pls?

A good setup is a remot wallet / vps running the daemon. Tao's guide explains this kind of setup.
You only need a wallet with 1k dash in it and a VPS running the dash daemon linked to the deposit.

So, what I mean is, I download a fresh new dash wallet (version 26) ... Then send my dash there from my existing wallet ( version 25) and then follow the original Tao Masternode guide which appears to have been updated for Dash (although the Tao Masternode update guide link leads to an un-updated Masternode guide..)

Anyway, does this sound feasible?

Just use the rebranded wallet (0.1.11.26 ), it is the same of .25 with replaced names

Back