• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

280x vs 750ti

kingcolex

So I am building a new gpu mining rig and pretty much from what I have seen it comes down to this, but while it seems the 750ti uses much less power it is very close in price to the 280x which I have read can get around 5mhs (WOW) while 750ti hits around 2.5? I understand the power difference here but what are you guys picking? 280x's or 750's? (maybe even 290s?)

I'm running 3 MSI Twin Frozr 270s (no x) and get exactly 4Mh/s per card running sgminer 5 on Ubuntu. These 270s only use one 6-pin GPU power connector, so they're lighter on power than their counterparts.

The boost in hashrate on the AMD cards that you're referencing is solely from Wolf's rewritten X11 binaries, which you can find here. The cards that benefit from these new binaries are:
Pitcairn: 7850/7870/R9 270/R9 270X.
Tahiti: 870XT/7950/7970/R9 280/R9 280X.
Hawaii: R9 290/R9 290X/R9 295X2.

As for which is better, I can only speak for AMD cards, which I've been more than happy with. Then again, power is also no object to me where I'm renting. If you're just looking to experiment, I'm trying to get rid of a decommissioned 7850 rig, parts 'n all. Name your price, right now this stuff is just taking up space! Otherwise, best of luck in making your decision, hope this helped! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so how do I enable this? I have 2 R9 270x's and am only receiving the 2.5 mh/s and using one of wolfs uploading sgminer files

Well the process to get this running is OS-dependent, but if you properly replaced the binaries, rebooted and it still isn't working, it could be a settings issue.

Did you change the worksize to 64?

I just downloaded an sgminer by him i never did anything else, if you have a link or a guide that would be hugely appreciated.

Also my miners are running windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Back