• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How do I open a specific wallet with v0.1.1.25, etc.. (latest version)

JamieS

This seems like it should be so simple, but can't figure it out...

I installed the latest version of the Dash Core wallet today (64 bit). I sent my Darkcoin/Dash from an exchange to the wallet. I want to move the Dash program files from C drive to my encrypted data drive. I moved the Dash data folder too with the wallet.dat in it, but now when I open the program file, it wants to make an entire new directory and download the blockchain all over again.

And I can't figure out how to open a different wallet file or just specify which one it is using. I am very experienced with bitcoin and not sure what I am missing here, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For wallet file use option: -wallet=<file> Specify wallet file (within data directory) (default: wallet.dat)
For different folder location use option: -datadir=<dir> Specify data directory
All commands/options can be found from: MENU -> HELP -> Command-line options

Example:
D:\DASH_Test\dash-qt.exe -datadir=D:\DASH_Test -wallet=D:\DASH_Test\testwallet.dat

I am not as good at command line and use windows 7 mostly. I manage 6 wallets with just the one qt client. There are 2 way of going about this. First when Dash qt is first installed it is going to ask for where you want it to store the block chain info. Standard is user/appdata/roaming/Dash. This is by default a hidden file in windows. Google how to see hidden files. I created a shortcut to this file. This is where your wallet.dat needs to be. If there is not one there then Dash will create a new one (which is how i created multiple wallets) after each wallet is created I then move the wallet.dat file to a new folder labeled Dash wallet 2 or whatever you want to call it. So to load up the desired wallet, I open my shortcut touser/appdata/roaming/dash and making sure I only have the wallet.dat file for the wallet I want loaded. To keep them straight I can check each wallet folder i have created and see if the wallet.dat file is still in there. I use these mostly for running masternodes so I have to keep a separate .conf file with each one. If it is just for changing wallets you should be able to rename your wallet.dat file to example wallet 2.dat and when you ant to load wallet 2 rename it back to wallet.dat. It is kind of like choosing what wallet yo want to carry with you today. Even if you go the renaming route I still like to at least make a new folder in the dash folder to hold just wallets that have been renamed to keep track of them. and ALWAYS MAKE BACKUPS. It is not as confusing as it sounds once you do it a little.

Back