• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

A warning to you all.

stonehedge

Foundation Member
Cross posted from BCT

Hi All,

I’m making an extremely difficult public statement to hopefully provide a warning to the Dash community.

On Sunday morning I managed to lose all of my Darkcoins on Directbet dice. The total loss was 28,000DRK and represents all of my holdings. My mistake was simple…make a big loss and then lose track desperately trying to win it back. I have made enquiries with various parties about buying back in but unfortunately I do not have enough FIAT to do so.

This happened incredibly easily. I am a man who has never gambled before being involved in crypto althouh I have done consultancy work for gambling companies in the past. I was a regular better on Directbet and almost always ended up breaking even or finishing up on the day. On Sunday, circumstances, bad decisions and maths caught up with me.

With regard to Directbet I believe their dice game is provably fair in terms of probablity and maths however I have some concerns at how their site was functioning under a DDOS attack at the time.

I believe that probably fair is not just about maths, it is also about providing a level playing field for your customers.

Despite the significant financial loss that I have incurred, one of the worst feelings for me is the fact that the thousands of hours I have invested in Darkcoin/Dash will never bare fruit for me. I take some comfort in the fact that those of you who hold on to your darkcoins might reap some rewards. I do have roughly 1.5DRK left so if you could all work really hard and make that worth $100k I’d be reall grateful
wink.gif

I don’t feel that am able to continue to work on Dash so I asked Evan to remove me from the team website on Monday. I am also extremely frustrated because most of my business contacts were waiting for a rebranding before they adopted Dash. When I feel less sore about what has happened I will pull the details of those contacts together and pass them on to Fernando/Minotaur and who knows I might be at peace with myself enough to follow up some leads myself.

Beyond the financial loss I have unforgiveably let my family down and this breaks my heart most of all.

I’ll always be hoping and looking for a way to rebuild my Dash but I expect that the future is too bright for the coin for me to ever afford it.

Don’t be lulled into a false sense of security people. Bet sensibly. I didn’t and I’m a broken man.

2014 and 2015 have not been kind to me crypto-wise. In total I have either had stolen or thrown away the equivalent of nearly 50k DRK. Protect your wallets too!

Much love.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so so sorry !
dam

tx for your open honestly
might it be a warning to everybody else !

hope you stick around

Boy does stuff like this hit close to home.
I've been down that very same road Stonehedge, I lost a little bit less then you once (money wise).
All I can really say and advice you to do, is to not go down the same way as I did and beat yourself up, you'll end up losing far more then just the money, which right now may seem like one of the biggest deals but considering you said you have a family I can already tell you right now, that money ain't worth anything any more once you lose them too. (not implying that you will, more like a ''I did'' and trust me if I say I'd happily repeat any and all fuck-ups in my life, aside from just that one.)
Like others have said, fight for your family right now and give it every last bit of effort that you got, no matter how fucked up this may sound right now; just be glad you are still at the crossroads where you can make a important decision, don't make the same mistake as I did because just like me, you'll recover financially over time, it's the one's I've lost due to my own stupidity that can never be bought back, no matter how much money I'd put on the table.

Hope this post comes across the way I meant it, English is not my native language so if it comes over as demeaning/offensive please don't take it that way.
Just a guy on the other side of the globe trying to share his experience of a situation much like the one you find yourself in now.
Keep your head up mate, and stay strong, you'll come out wiser and better in the end.
Best of luck to you!

Regards,
Demon.

Dan that's terrible mate. Feel awful for you. Hope you're managing to keep your chin up and not being too hard on yourself. Easier said than done though, I guess.

Hopefully you get somewhere with the DDOS side of things mate.

Dan that's terrible mate. Feel awful for you. Hope you're managing to keep your chin up and not being too hard on yourself. Easier said than done though, I guess.

Hopefully you get somewhere with the DDOS side of things mate.

Thanks mate.

Do you know what is really shitty? Directbet emailled me yesterday to say they cannot refund bets when the site is down as it would stop them being provably fair however they are currently under DDOS again and they are refunding people their bets! I wonder why they couldn't refund my bets at the weekend if they are doing it for other people now?

Meaby because the price went up much and refunding your amount will cost them much too much.
Btw. I dislike the 1st post of this thread as there is only like.

Setup a wallet print privkey in 3-4copies and send them to your family saying: do not give it to me before 2017 :) and start recollecting coins if you dont feel strong enought yet Dan. I'll tip you later.

How about I just keep my coins in one wallet and the community can monitor :) Seriously, I will never bet a cent again.

The timing is really bad. I get paid about every 4 to 5 months...if this had happened closer to a payday I'd be able to buy in some coins at this price. As it stands, I've just got enough for the essentials for the next few months so I'm out of the game.

Dan,
Thanks for your time and input with darkcoin.
Look after yourself and your family, they are what are important.
And please dont gamble our donations!!!
ebf3b5d..........

Thanks dude. All coins will remain in that wallet for a good while!

The thing that freaks me out most is that it didn't take many sessions of betting to lead to disaster. I'm guessing here but maybe 5 or 6? I have been so badly stung by my actions I really can't see myself betting every again.

I'm currently going through my watch collection and listing it on eBay which is a bit of a wrench.

In all seriousness, whilst donations have been really awesome to receive I don't want to be a charity case. I lost my coins through being an idiot. I dont deserve to get freebies.

Thanks dude. All coins will remain in that wallet for a good while!

The thing that freaks me out most is that it didn't take many sessions of betting to lead to disaster. I'm guessing here but maybe 5 or 6? I have been so badly stung by my actions I really can't see myself betting every again.

I'm currently going through my watch collection and listing it on eBay which is a bit of a wrench.
Martingaling? Honestly, if you checked the secret hash from all the bets and they checked out, it's really out of DirectBet's hands. That's what provably fair is.

Martingaling? Honestly, if you checked the secret hash from all the bets and they checked out, it's really out of DirectBet's hands. That's what provably fair is.

They checked out. I was just thrown by some contradictory and misleading statements by them that I want to understand thats all.

Anyway, I've just finished communicating with Directbet. Water under the bridge.

Hey bud sorry for your loss. Were you sober when loosing all the coins? Or you just went like gambling frenzy for a few moments and lost everything?

etid:// I lost too many Darkcoins at directbet too, football and some dice.

Sober. I lost track of my losses because I didn't have access to the Directbet web site due to the fallout from a DDoS and was in too much of a routine to check wallet balance. Realised how much I was down by and blew the rest chasing it. All gone in 20 minutes tops.

I'll be honest, my eyes welled up whilst reading this.

I have a little boy who's 5 months old tomorrow and I tried to put myself in your shoes for a minute......All I'll say is that I wish I was as strong as you (mentally) because to be able to come on here and be as honest as you have been and still keep a level head through everything is truly inspirational and if there's any lesson that should be learned it's that money isn't everything and you've just proven that to all of us. I honestly don't know what I would have done in that situation but I really do hope you can rebuild from here as it's a mistake that any one of us could make and like you said it only takes a short amount of time to lose it all.

My dad gambled a lot of money when me and my sisters were younger which then led to him maxing out credit cards etc and in the end he lost the house. He's been broken inside ever since and it hurts me to see him like that. I know he's stronger than that but inside he's just given up. You haven't given up and that sets an incredible example to everyone on here. Just keep your head up and you'll be back up and running before you know it.

I wish you and your family all the best for the rest of 2015. Don't forget that you'll always have the community here whether it's Darkcoin / Dash related or not so there will always be someone to talk to about things. I know my words don't mean much as I haven't been a member long but I'll be here for a very long time as I'm sure many other people will.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with everyone

Hey stonehedge, really sorry to hear about our loss mate. I love to gamble myself and know what it's like to fuck up and lose big on what I thought was a sure thing, takes a lot of guts to come here and post the truth about what's happened. I commend you for that an hope you'll turn your luck around soon and be back in the British DRK/DASH scene again.

For future reference, never risk more than you're willing to lose. (sorry, had to) :rolleyes:

Back