• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding and Scalability

Because of this I no longer feel the name Darkcoin reflects the true essence of the project and have decided to rebrand our product.

eduffield In your original paper, Darkcoin: Peer to Peer CryptoCurrency with Anonymous Blockchain Transactions and an Improved Proof of Work System, you wrote: "Darkcoin is the first privacy centric cryptographic currency based on Satoshi Nakamoto’s Bitcoin."

That was the "true essence of the project." Given what you wrote today, in order to make an informed decision of how to approach this project, I wonder, what is the "true essence" of Darkcoin now, the essence that requires changing the well-established brand in an early phase of its development?

Maybe we all need to take a step back, cool down and return to this thread tomorrow. Some who have already dumped won't have that chance however.

As far as I understand, the D logo will stay the same so I think a lot of your renderings will still apply. If you think about it the former brand Darkcoin is little known outside of the crypto forums so going forward people will just read that D as Dash, it will take sometime to transition, but we will get there.

So this is NOT a discussion about a proposal, this is a discussion about a decision being made?

I agree that rebranding solves the main issue with the Dark being unfriendly for mass adoption and removes all the obstacles left to really compete with Bitcoin

I can see from Edufield's perspective too that now we have this 2-tier architecture and its potential is real big and it wasn't in the original plan so we need to position with what we have. the amount of stuff that can be build on the MN network is crazy - it's an awesome architecture and goes way beyond anonymity.. and if branded properly it can really take on Bitcoin and offer anonymity at the same time - so what's the problem?

plus now the tech is out, focusing just on anoymity means someone else can come in and use the architecture to its full capacity (with anonymity on the side), what kind of investor wants that?

just my opinion :D

I agree that rebranding solves the main issue with the Dark being unfriendly for mass adoption and removes all the obstacles left to really compete with Bitcoin

I can see from Edufield's perspective too that now we have this 2-tier architecture and its potential is real big and it wasn't in the original plan so we need to position with what we have. the amount of stuff that can be build on the MN network is crazy - it's an awesome architecture and goes way beyond anonymity.. and if branded properly it can really take on Bitcoin and offer anonymity at the same time - so what's the problem?

plus now the tech is out, focusing just on anoymity means someone else can come in and use the architecture to its full capacity (with anonymity on the side), what kind of investor wants that?

just my opinion :D

Just my opinion: in marketing you have to be different - Darkcoin is different. It may not be mainstream at the moment, but it will be. It has its own purpose.

Bitcoin is gold, Darkcoin is anonymity. Much better than Litecoin being Silver...

Run the video of Andreas A. above over and over again - you will understand the meaning...

Darkcoin is already branded! Why re-brand it? Why dilute it and kool-aid its purpose?

Sorry if I don't please the greedy people... but Darkcoin is not about going to the moon - it is about enabling liberties...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Elm

agree you have to be different but theres multiple ways to do that right not just the name 'Darkcoin'?

I was trying to say that the just anonymity doesn't fit anymore because half way through the process Edufield came up with the 2 tier architecture

branding now just on anonymity might be missing opportunities because of all the things that are possible with the masternode network - like a second internet basically :)

i dont think a lot of people get that or maybe they still want to focus on anonymity but seems limited now with what has been developed

EDIT: (And when you develop big architectures like this you have to go with the flow and sometimes take opportunities as they appear which they have)

If DASH hasn't already been decided, maybe we can come up with something the majority agrees with.

so why are you tweeting it
if you are not even sure if Dash has been agreed on or not !

can you read the posts earlier and start organizing the 1 account you are supposed to run !

it is still up

Guys~ Let's calm down for a little bit, shall we? This was / is / and always will be/ the best community. Maybe in Rebanding part we have disagreements. Or maybe we will have more issues to argue. But~ could we stay as a team?community? we will work it out. Okay? we have gone through so much, that is the reason we will reach to the goal eventually. price? name? is that really that matter? To me, you guys stand for DRK, no matter what it become.~
So please. calm down, and let's try to make it right together.

It took so much time to mature the identity of darkcoin, why throw it away? In some areas I get the answer to "Why not Darkcoin?" - "Probably it's too new."... After a year of existence. I oppose the rebranding. We can succeed technological with whatever name we got, but we cant mature a brand if we keep changing the name every 12 months. People will just think "yet another shitcoin" and not even noticing that there is so much work and history behind it. My 3 duffs.

I look forward to Vertoe cooling off and coming back, but what he says here is important. It might be possible, though, to keep the official name "Darkcoin" but just use the initials DC. Like Brittish Petrolium, almost exclusively known by BP. National Public Radio wants to be known as NPR now. And the YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association (I think) moved to YMCA then tried YWCA but now they're not even exclusively Christian, and have truncated to "The Y" Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company became 3M. I'm getting this from this article, which was first up on my google search (good to read) https://hbr.org/2010/07/rebranding-by-abbreviation-fro/

So rather than turning our back on our history, we could truncate it and get the best of both worlds? And here is an excerpt from the article:

• Could the shift to an abbreviation sacrifice hard-earned brand equity? Harley Davidson would have little to gain (and lots to lose) by abandoning its iconic name for an unfamiliar acronym. (Harley, however, did sensibly replace its non-descript ticker symbol “HDI” with the on-brand “HOG” — a trademarked acronym for Harley Owners’ Group — and familiar biker slang.)
  • Could an acronym help distance us from our tainted brand? Le Crédit Lyonnais was rebranded LCL in part to escape its troubled history. And in an effort to distract from its tarnished legacy, insurance behemoth AIG renamed itself AIU.
  • Could an acronym position us more effectively than our existing name? When your name misrepresents the company — as was the case for Minnesota Mining — an abbreviation may be worth a thousand words.
  • Do customers already know us by our initials? Following customers’ lead, as NPR has, probably does no harm and, at least, can simplify marketing communications.
  • And finally, could the acronym we’re considering embarrass us, or worse? Don’t make BP’s mistake of handing potential detractors an irresistible set-up. Remember that a moniker with two or three letters is easier to hijack that one with more (ABN-AMRO’s probably safe) or fewer (it would be hard to pervert the brand meaning of “Y”).

So, perhaps we could go with Dark E Cash DEC Or work it out with something better, like Harley did with the HOG. Darkcoin Capital? DCC. It doesn't really need to be all that catchy, as long as it rolls off the tongue. I haven't read this whole thread yet, and I'm sure there are good ideas in here. But I suspect we will need to compromise with something that keeps the Darkcoin brand yet pushes out with something more neutral to the public's ear.

Hi Tante

But isn't Edufield saying that it's the purpose of darkcoin that's being basically expanded here and we need a new brand name to reflect that? if so then the question is what do people think of that and then the brand name should fit that.

if the MN network lets us compete with Bitcoin for real then that's much bigger than just anonymity so people would have to get their heads around it

sorry if I misunderstood have been out of crypto for a while

"Dis"
Divine innovation security
"Where innovation of security is our divine objective" i think if this coin somehow choose a section of this industry instead of trying to be part of all of it it will have a bright future, after all there is only so many coins

Sorry if I don't please the greedy people... but Darkcoin is not about going to the moon - it is about enabling liberties...

Fucking Hell! That's BRILLIANT! That's so BRILLIANT it should be our SLOGAN.

Darkcoin
It's about enabling your Civil Liberties

That's actually so good, I can see it explaining why we kept the name....maybe.

Please clarify the situation. Is the decision already made? If not, can we influence it?
If all is set and done, what is the final name?

Hi Tante

But isn't Edufield saying that it's the purpose of darkcoin that's being basically expanded here and we need a new brand name to reflect that? if so then the question is what do people think of that and then the brand name should fit that.

if the MN network lets us compete with Bitcoin for real then that's much bigger than just anonymity so people would have to get their heads around it

sorry if I misunderstood have been out of crypto for a while

Yah, it's such a hard one! I never ever saw a problem with the name Darkcoin, but boy howdy, when I talk to an outsider about it, they always think it's a nefarious thing. "Is it legal? Are you sure?" etc.... It's a real conversation killer. Needless to say my whole family thinks I'm doing something illegal. And they're the "normal" people that Bitcoin is winning over. And Bitcoin isn't even in our league. This isn't logic, and we can't go with our guts, because most of us are partial to everything about Darkcoin, especially it's name. But the outside world? Well, the name could kill this wonderful project in it's infancy.

So I know I waffle on this. We're kind of f#cked either way we go. Keep the name = limit the use of Darkcoin to "insiders who understand" change the name = start from scratch with brand recognition. Then there is "go halfway" IE, just use our initials or something, or free ourselves up to come up with any name that fits things perfectly, and lose every bit of brand recognition we ever had (well, only a years worth after all)

What to do? In a month or so, I can honestly say I've been wringing my hands over this question for an entire year, LOL.

Please clarify the situation. Is the decision already made? If not, can we influence it?
If all is set and done, what is the final name?
No, I don't think it's set in stone yet, but Evan has changed his mind on this, so it's a good possibility something will change.

But please note people. This has to go beyond emotion. I am sure everyone understands what is at stake, and this decision will not be made lightly. People have bought websites based on the Darkcoin name, people have put a LOT of energy into things that feature this name. A big name change can kill some of these efforts.

But remember the #1 effort has got to be, lets make Darkcoin the coin the world so desperately needs! Why should we allow someone else take the code, rename it to something more acceptable to the public? That would be throwing sand in Evan's and the other developer's eyes, when they worked so hard to create something of value. To have the name handicap the project is unfathomable.

lol. Evan with his mainstream deal. Won't happen. Gonna go illegal faster than mainstream. Just keep the Darkcoin name, make it the best crime tool so we all profit our brains out. Isn't that what u want? Profit?

Dash sounds.. no comment. Darkcoin is good. Darkcoin represents the idea, the future and everything about Darkcoin. Stop dreaming about mainstream adoption and keep up the good work.

Ya better start removing any kind of Tor support and Transaction anonymity if you ever want to go mainstream with your creation.

I wonder what will happen next..

Back