• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding and Scalability

I was just listing some things we need to do, by no means is that the full list. We do need to do a press release, the press release can happen after the official launch, exclusive, etc, but yeah after the official launch we need to do a public release.
Hi Minotaur, have you researched the word "dash" in Arabics? Or after the next 12 months we'll change the name again because we find out we can't reach the Arabics speaking market?
Just saying..

Hi Minotaur, have you researched the word "dash" in Arabics? Or after the next 12 months we'll change the name again because we find out we can't reach the Arabics speaking market?
Just saying..

And in french it's very close to dèche

zGhcjlP.png

Also used as a name for sperm.

Just saying..

If you are referring to the problem about the Chinese name, that was just a point I added to the conversation, because it has relevance. I don't believe that on its own has a special weight on the branding issue it just adds to it I guess.

Now I am not sure if you are being serious or not. Do you have any reservations for Dash in the Middle East?

If you are referring to the problem about the Chinese name, that was just a point I added to the conversation, because it has relevance. I don't believe that on its own has a special weight on the branding issue it just adds to it I guess.

Now I am not sure if you are being serious or not. Do you have any reservations for Dash in the Middle East?
I was just searching for its meaning in Arabics and found these links:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-daesh-instead-of-isil-for-death-cult-but-why
http://www.france24.com/en/20140917-france-switches-arabic-daesh-acronym-islamic-state/

Although the spelling is more like "daesh" but it seems it's pronounced very much like "dash". I think we need to consult an Arabics native to find out for sure, because if it resembles "daesh" it has a very negative meaning.

Friends--first an apology--things have occurred so fast that I find myself 25 pages behind on BCT and 11 pages here. I have just started a new job and can't put in the time that I think is so critical at this point. I am just jumping in with my two duffs. They may or may not be pertinent or welcome at this point in the discussion.

Having read Evan's opening volley, I feel vindicated and humbled. I have put much thought into a new name and while I will go with whatever Evan and the community choose, I have reservations with Dash (though think it is much better than Dark). I suggest the current D logo be retained and understood as "Duffield's" and combined with the very elegant IX symbol--the I and X combined, yielding DXcoin, pronounced Dix coin, and understood as Duffield's instant exchange coin. The only improvement that I can think of, over DIX coin, would be if a suitable R and K word could be found, which I have not mustered yet to retain DRK.

I think the retention of the D is critical, and yes Dash would do this, but incorporating the IX is also important (sorry I do not have the graphics skill to show this, but I think you all get it. Also worthy of considering is DLX representing Delux also using the D and X, and having the nice latin meaning "of light." (I should add that a potential down side of DX (which has overtones of quality) is the the potential sexual pun associated with DIX. This could be avoided by the convention of calling it "D" "X." (The association is no worse that that of the corporate handle of Space Exploration Technologies Corp., commonly called (to my children's ongoing humor) SpaceX. Say it out loud a few times to hear why my children laugh. ;-)

Ahrgg... family matters have pulled me away for 2hours since starting this so I am sure a number of pages have posted. I will post now in hopes of being able to catch up later tomorrow. It may be that what I am sharing has already been suggested and dismissed, if so forgive me and carry on.

TL;DR: Retain the D and IX logos and combine them into DIX, DX, or DLX, pronounced "DIX," "D" "X," or "Deluxe."

The notion is true that DarkCoin has become worlds more than it's name covered at the time... Most people think they already know what DRK is from a year ago. A new name to get attention to the fact that it's nothing at all what it used to be is a good idea.

Dash sucks tho. It makes sense. But that's all it does... Oh, no, it sucks, too... It does two things.

I'd love to offer a better idea, but I don't have one. Dash sucks. Don't do it. I know it isn't constructive... But good Lord do not go that direction...

It's just too bland. Tofu makes sense, too... I'm not eating it.

The notion is true that DarkCoin has become worlds more than it's name covered at the time... Most people think they already know what DRK is from a year ago. A new name to get attention to the fact that it's nothing at all what it used to be is a good idea.

Dash sucks tho. It makes sense. But that's all it does... Oh, no, it sucks, too... It does two things.

I'd love to offer a better idea, but I don't have one. Dash sucks. Don't do it. I know it isn't constructive... But good Lord do not go that direction...

It's just too bland. Tofu makes sense, too... I'm not eating it.
I'd suggest we go with "tofurkey"... lol

I was just searching for its meaning in Arabics and found these links:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-daesh-instead-of-isil-for-death-cult-but-why
http://www.france24.com/en/20140917-france-switches-arabic-daesh-acronym-islamic-state/

Although the spelling is more like "daesh" but it seems it's pronounced very much like "dash". I think we need to consult an Arabics native to find out for sure, because if it resembles "daesh" it has a very negative meaning.

It can't hurt to check with Abdulaziz he consults on Middle Eastern culture as ambassador for the Middle East.

And in french it's very close to dèche

zGhcjlP.png

Also used as a name for sperm.
I speak french, can you please give a sentence where it is used as sperm?

Also dèche and Dash don't sound the same in French. It would be the equivalent to brooke not sounding like broke.

I don't know if I should cry or should laugh. Why is it we haven't heard from Evan?
Out core dev, vertoe, sold all his coins and left, and it seems nobody gives a rats ass..
"Ok good luck bro".. what is this? Doesn't anybody care or know that vertoe has done a lot of work and any of you guys can fill his place?

Rebranding will take some times, and it could be very rewarding if done right.

Key part of this is "if done right". Already we are off to a bad start by blindsiding core team members with this announcement.

IMO, the next step should be to finalize the name, but rather than Evan doing this unilaterally, he should discuss a large number of options amongst the core team -- then present the community with a small number, say 3 names, to vote on. That will go a long way in getting rid of the bad feelings due to the way this has been handled to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
And remember too.. this coin is not all there yet... Vertoe was having a lot of plans for the coin. Can anyone else step in right now to fill his shoes? I guess not! I think we have become such ungrateful brats.

Ok just guessing how the scalability will work, I am assuming there is a second temporary blockchain used by the masternodes which gets written into the main block chain after some extended period of time. The temporary blockchain is then discarded, adding further privacy, and reducing the overall number of transactions that need to be stored.

Clearly dash is a subpar name, and a lot more time should be invested to come up with something decent.

crash - CRyptographic cASH - what the price is doing due to the potential selection of crappy names

It took so much time to mature the identity of darkcoin, why throw it away? In some areas I get the answer to "Why not Darkcoin?" - "Probably it's too new."... After a year of existence. I oppose the rebranding. We can succeed technological with whatever name we got, but we cant mature a brand if we keep changing the name every 12 months. People will just think "yet another shitcoin" and not even noticing that there is so much work and history behind it. My 3 duffs.

FULLY agree with every single point vertoe made.

About adoption you are wrong, Evan wouldn't do this in a vacuum just because it is a theorized problem. We have received direct comments from potential partners (existing crypto services, merchants, exchanges, etc) were they liked the technology, but would consider adding DRK only if the name is changed. So basically changing the name does not guarantee we will be added on several places but it does open the possibility.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet," so what we're talking about here? "Mass adoption," with 2,499 people in this forum, out of 7++ billion on the planet? We are going to change a well-established brand because "several places" might adopt us?

What about our OWN exchange? What about an exchange that does not exist at the moment and will blow away the current one and their numerous problems? What about merchants that are ALREADY accepting Darkcoin?

Aren't we in a vacuum indeed - Evan and the Team are creating the best crypto technology and are in an early stage but "several" services that DO NOT guarantee anything are pushing us away from the great brand?

Think twice. Darkcoin is a well known brand and should not die this way.

DITTO every single word.

Besides trademarks hold by other companies I am 100% AGAINST a re-branding...Darkcoin has become what it is with this name, and it's already a household name in the crypto scene. If the name was bad we would never be where we are now, means more established than 99% of all altcoins ever.

ABSOLUTELY.

Mass adoption, in your dreams. You guys talk like you live in a bubble. Darkcoin has a clear selling point that's being a dark coin. If you are scared of the word dark you might be in the wrong section of the net.

Evan, is that you? https://github.com/dashcoin-dsh
So, is that really set in stone already?

It is delusional to think that SAINT COIN with Darkcoin features (full anonymity being the key) will ESCAPE the attention of the enemy (the totalitarian governments storing every keystroke, even on an forum) because of its name.

Changing the name is - IMHO - a big mistake.

I find that some people's reactions are really quite insane and even more than anything very emotional, especially you Vertoe.

Have you even talked to Evan? It's really sad seeing you leave after all your awesome contributions.

I just think that Evan suggested rebranding and took hold of DASH (Digital Cash) in case we went down that path, I think this was the initial conversation opener.

Hello Everyone,

In a free market, the best crypto-currency should win by it’s merits and the alt-coin ecosystem should eventually resemble a competition of the best ideas. Alt-coins in the past have been platforms of testing various strategies of improving the overall design of Bitcoin. In the future, I believe we’ll have a diverse ecosystem of many coins. Not one coin to rule them all.

In fact, if Bitcoin is the only cryptographic currency, it poses a significant risk of eventually being controlled by over-reaching governments and other entities trying to derail it’s original goals. What would the legacy financial system look like if there was no Mastercard and only VISA?

I am very happy with the way development is going. We’ve been able to refine our privacy technology, successfully released InstantX and have developed the Masternode network into a strong and truly decentralized platform. We’re building the complete solution for crypto-users in different key area and making crypto much more suitable for real world adoption.

Because of this I believe we’re currently approaching a very important phase of the development of Darkcoin. We have a vastly different architecture that is capable of many things Bitcoin is not. It’s time that we start exploring some of the ways we can become a true competitor to Bitcoin. In fact, I believe the 2-tier architecture might actually be able to solve the ultimate problem Bitcoin faces: Scalability. However, if we’re going to be fixing the scalability issues Bitcoin has, we’re going to need a friendly branding that’s compatible with mass adoption.

Because of this I no longer feel the name Darkcoin reflects the true essence of the project and have decided to rebrand our product.

I’d like to announce now that the foundation is presently working on doing a complete rebranding of Darkcoin so that we can achieve this goal. Currently we’re investigating the name “Dash”, which would stand for digital cash. Dash represents the goals that we’re trying to achieve, to be a fast, friendly and scalable online payment system.

Originally, I made Darkcoin to address a few specific issues that Bitcoin has and compete against it. There’s some misconception in the crypto-community at large that Darkcoin’s primary goal is to be a underground currency and support the black markets. This simply isn’t true.

When we started we saw a few issues that Bitcoin has and have attempted to solve them. One of the main issues we were trying to fix was fungibility. Fungibility is defined as the property of a good or a commodity whose individual units are capable of mutual substitution. That is, it is the property of essences or goods which are "capable of being substituted in place of one another."

Bitcoin isn’t perfectly fungible. This means that over long periods of time, Bitcoin will lose it’s fungibility due to coins being tainted by their use. Coins in the Bitcoin system carry their history around with them and that will make them “tainted” as compared to other coins.

While solving this problem, I eventually found we could create a secondary network within Darkcoin, this network would provide services to keep all of the coins fungible and at the same time could offer other services as well. Services such as protocol 2 factor authentication, instant transactions and now scalability.

Personally I believe the 1-tier approach used by Bitcoin and other currencies isn’t as powerful as a 2-tier approach. I also believe the no one besides a few people have even yet to understand what a 2-tier cryptographic currency is capable of.

The Bitcoin developers and community are talking about expanding the maximum blockchain size to 20MB. Currently the Bitcoin network can handle 7 transactions per second. This will allow their currency to 140 transactions per second, but will also result in up to 1TB per year in blockchain storage (until they successfully implement pruning).

Eventually Gavin Andresen sees blocks getting to 100MB+, with tens of thousands of transactions per block. See http://gavintech.blogspot.com/2015/01/twenty-megabytes-testing-results.html and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CuOEM9uwO5w-RwWGCCZpVGVFwhHHHegxJZqTP5KyapI/edit#gid=0.

After giving it some thought, I came up with a scalable architecture that supports billions of transactions per day.

Specifications of this strategy:
  • The blockchain will automatically become much more anonymous than Bitcoin is.
  • Fees per transaction will be very, very low. Let the micro-payment revolution begin.
  • Zero-centralization
  • Scalable to billions of transactions per day
  • Requires a 2-tier network
  • Very low blockchain bloat

I make no promises about this idea working though, I’m very early in the research stages, but it does look quite promising. If it works, it means we have solved the ultimate problem with Bitcoin and have made this technology accessible to the whole world. This strategy is just too good to let sit for very long and I need to do some exploratory coding to prove it works.

eduffield Darkcoin was based and designed to enable anonymity, if required. That was the value proposition of Darkcoin - why change it?

If you think that it can't be a worldwide issue without consequences, listen between minute 24.5 and minute 28 of Andreas' address to MIT students last month

(
).

"Anonymity is a vital human right! - You cannot have freedom of expression and freedom of association without anonymity - ... and bitcoin doesn't provide that" - Andreas Antonopoulos

I find that some people's reactions are really quite insane and even more than anything very emotional, especially you Vertoe.

Have you even talked to Evan? It's really sad seeing you leave after all your awesome contributions.

I just think that Evan suggested rebranding and took hold of DASH (Digital Cash) in case we went down that path, I think this was the initial conversation opener.
I think the question should be "Has Evan talked to Vertoe?" or "Has Evan talked to all of the active devs?", and my guess is "NO". We are so used to Evan's making decisions alone from testing, but this is a huge decision, and that's why I am baffled and disappointed that Evan didn't at least give the devs a heads up before this announcement.

Well to be fair the coin is not going to become less anonymous because we are changing the name.

The idea that the name Darkcoin hurts adoption is a fair point especially given that those who are trying to pitch DRK to business are failing because of the name. In the long run this help us.

My issue with all of this is and continues to be the odd lack of intra-core team communication and whether Evan will just unilaterally decide on Dash or listen to others on the issue.

Back