• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding and Scalability

Think twice. Darkcoin is a well known brand and should not die this way.

Everyone that knows about Darkcoin now will know about the name change. Darkcoin is NOT a well known brand to ordinary people, and it scares off investors.
I don't know if I like Dash, but I certainly like Digital Cash.

I personally hate investors so I don't care much about the investment side, Darkcoin has been extremely stable, which is actually great for a cryptocurrency.
I hope everyone here that just wants to make a quick buck sells their Darkcoins, even if Darkcoin goes to 100$ I would not sell.

The truth is that we have the promise here to actually create a new world currency. Something that Bitcoin could never achieve with it's current state of technology.

If anyone has been to Hongkong here, I envision a world system similar to the octopus card. That might be a few years down the line though :p

If I recall, it was originally launched as Xcoin, on the 18th of January 2014, but the name was changed to Darkcoin a few days later. Given the technological transformation that have taken place since then and the desire for 2015 to be the year of the coin going supernova, a re-brand is well worth it.

Lots of people love the technology, but some have reservations about the name. If the desire is to take this to the masses, then the name needs to change. We don't have the PR/Marketing budget to make Darkcoin as popular as the Dark Knight or Dark Side as used in the blockbuster movies.

At the same time, I remember how Bitcoin was vilified as a coin for criminals and today it has been adopted by the very people who tried to nail it to a cross.

That being said, we have been bold enough to embrace groundbreaking technological changes within the Darkcoin code, so I think we can also be bold enough to embrace a name change that doesn't require the testnet :).

We do however need the best and brightest PR/Marketing minds in our community to come up with ideas and then work with the devs on integrating the final solution with the clients.

One more good aspect not yet mentioned about the name Dash, is that it D comes after C, just like Dash will come after Cash.

Random fact: in the pro audio world, DASH was Sony's awesome 48 track digital audio format. DASH= digital audio stationary head.
So from my corner of the world, DASH presents no confusing or offensive naming conflicts, but in fact conjures up the legendary studio recorder that actually let you splice digital tracks old school...with a razor blade. It was actually the most 'fungible' digital format available at the time.

P.S. Regarding naming conflicts, think: trying to sell the Chevy Nova in Mexico. NO VA means "It doesn't go." :)

I think the biggest thing, regardless of the name chosen, is to insure that the transition goes smoothly and all ducks are in order--from a trademark/legality standpoint, whatever name is chosen needs to be fine to use free and clear without the potential of litigation. Further, all pools, exchanges, merchants, coins sites (coinmarketcap/coinwarz) etc need to be informed. Domain names need to be secured, PR material drafted, foundation reregistered/renamed, etc. I'm not sure how it works on github with a rebrand for pulls. I hope Evan holds on to the Darkcoin name and github so no one can blatantly clone it and cause confusion. I think a total rebrand with new logos and colors might be a bit of a mistake from an exposure standpoint, but I guess it ultimately depends on the name decided on. Details are definitely scarce right now but I'm sure more will come to light as things pass. It's a step in the right direction for broad acceptance, something that unfortunately will be an uphill struggle if the name stays as is.

Random fact: in the pro audio world, DASH was Sony's awesome 48 track digital audio format. DASH= digital audio stationary head.
So from my corner of the world, DASH presents no confusing or offensive naming conflicts, but in fact conjures up the legendary studio recorder that actually let you splice digital tracks old school...with a razor blade. It was actually the most 'fungible' digital format available at the time.

P.S. Regarding naming conflicts, think: trying to sell the Chevy Nova in Mexico. NO VA means "It doesn't go." :)

Oh man THANKS!! I knew thre was something that was itching in the back of my mind about DASH!! Thank you thank you!! :grin::grin::grin:
I was spoon fed audio recording on that !! :grin::grin: ...then some Otari, Studer, the odd Ampex... yummy stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still kicking around the name "DASH'. One problem I see with DASH is the search engine optimization (SEO) of this name. Darkcoin is perfectly searchable today. DASH will not turn up good hits. We should consider a deliberate misspelling or unique name to improve SEO. Think 'LYFT'.

I think the biggest thing, regardless of the name chosen, is to insure that the transition goes smoothly and all ducks are in order--from a trademark/legality standpoint, whatever name is chosen needs to be fine to use free and clear without the potential of litigation. Further, all pools, exchanges, merchants, coins sites (coinmarketcap/coinwarz) etc need to be informed. Domain names need to be secured, PR material drafted, foundation reregistered/renamed, etc. I'm not sure how it works on github with a rebrand for pulls. I hope Evan holds on to the Darkcoin name and github so no one can blatantly clone it and cause confusion. I think a total rebrand with new logos and colors might be a bit of a mistake from an exposure standpoint, but I guess it ultimately depends on the name decided on. Details are definitely scarce right now but I'm sure more will come to light as things pass. It's a step in the right direction for broad acceptance, something that unfortunately will be an uphill struggle if the name stays as is.

Well the market has so far reacted with complete apathy so I guess it's not such a big issue as some suggest. Having said that, the market spread is widening so that suggests that many are taking a 'wait and see' approach, but the bottom line is that the market seems to think you could call it banana coin and nobody could give a shit...! It's what's under the bonnet (hood) that matters...

Walter

I'm still kicking around the name "DASH'. One problem I see with DASH is the search engine optimization (SEO) of this name. Darkcoin is perfectly searchable today. DASH will not turn up good hits. We should consider a deliberate misspelling or unique name to improve SEO. Think 'LYFT'.

Being financial, and picking up adoption, it would easily rise SEO ranks. But yeah, lots of competition there no doubt.

Lets not forget we are all excessively biased towards Darkcoin, but lets face it, if the intention is to go huge we need to rebrand. If we intent on being niche, Darkcoin is perfect.

Well the market has so far reacted with complete apathy so I guess it's not such a big issue as some suggest. Having said that, the market spread is widening so that suggests that many are taking a 'wait and see' approach, but the bottom line is that the market seems to think you could call is banana coin and nobody could give a shit...! It's what's under the bonnet (hood) that matters...

Walter
Agreed. The market cap already represents such a small area of fanboys (no offense to anyone, I'm included). Real adoption is what all crypto should be shooting for and no sense in fighting an uphill battle. I don't really care if it's Dash or something else as long as it's thought out. The first step has always been the most painful--accepting the fact that it will be hard to push for that mainstream adoption without a name change. Hard to really picture a market cap similar to BTC's (if not larger) with the existing name. Now, that's not to say it can't happen but you're pretty much boxed into the underground markets (which in their own right represent a very significant economy). Then again, we've seen batshit crazy things happen like LTC's run from a 40-50M market cap to 1.1B in a span of 6 weeks on the backbone of BTC's run. The reason for a name change is obvious and for those that are still clinging to something that has no real brand awareness need to open your eyes to the very large world out there. Do you want to stick to your stubbornness because it's what you have known for the past year with the very real possibility that it never takes off because the average person is going to see negativity or illicit behavior in using it or do you want to bite the bullet and try to push for as much user adoption as possible--starting from a rebrand. Again, the obvious answer is the one that is staring you blank in the face--user adoption. Even bitcoin is struggling for that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mass adoption, in your dreams. You guys talk like you live in a bubble. Darkcoin has a clear selling point that's being a dark coin. If you are scared of the word dark you might be in the wrong section of the net.

Evan, is that you? https://github.com/dashcoin-dsh
So, is that really set in stone already?
This is a very narrow-minded viewpoint. Darkcoin is way more now than just a "Dark" coin. It is now THE best technologically advanced crypto, lets give it a name that describes it as such. Why limit ourselves needlessly?

i think we are rushing this way to fast, there wasnt any real time given to the community to even think about a new name as the dev team didnt give out signals they were considering a name change. Now we are getting stuck with a name thats already giving mixed feelings in the community.
No name we choose will be accepted by everyone. This is a fact. A vote should be and probably will be held...

Well the market has so far reacted with complete apathy so I guess it's not such a big issue as some suggest. Having said that, the market spread is widening so that suggests that many are taking a 'wait and see' approach, but the bottom line is that the market seems to think you could call it banana coin and nobody could give a shit...! It's what's under the bonnet (hood) that matters...
Walter
Absolutely.
Being financial, and picking up adoption, it would easily rise SEO ranks. But yeah, lots of competition there no doubt.

Lets not forget we are all excessively biased towards Darkcoin, but lets face it, if the intention is to go huge we need to rebrand. If we intent on being niche, Darkcoin is perfect.
This in spades. Let's mature this payment system, so we get the investment we need to take it to the next level.

Great discussion! So much passion. A great community. We will succeed with whatever name we choose.

There are dozens of such cases. Colgate toothpaste is spanish sounds like "hang yourself", Nissan Pajero in south america sounds like "Nissan Wanker" ... I wish I could remember more, I used to know loads, there are not even the funny ones.

But certainly something to take into account

EDIT: Just googled it ... just for thought and some fun - http://www.businessinsider.com/funniest-company-names-2012-12?op=1

I agree. And nobody can forbid to proceed calling DASH with informal "Darkcoin"-nickname inside Dark-net community.

New-name is not just a coin-name, but the name of PLATFORM.
And new name must be so good we do not need any rebranding in nearest 5 years. :)

Back