• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Electrum Dark

The instructions how to run an Electrum Server are in HOWTO.md file - in the Propulsion repo...

"If you have an existing installation of darkcoind and have not previously set txindex=1 you need t reindex the blockchain by running

$ darkcoind -reindex"

In addition, make sure that in your server config file, you are pointing to the correct directory holding the new UTXO, that the pruning number (10000) is set correctly.

Ensure that the Darkcoin daemon config file (a different file) has the txindex=1 in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darkcoin is already supported by the latest Trezor firmware, as per https://github.com/trezor/trezor-mcu/blob/master/firmware/coins.c

vertoe : I believe the issue is with Encompass that have not yet enabled the Trezor plugin.

But if you want to test it out, just "enable" the Trezor support yourself (by removing the comment "#" in Encompass /plugins/Trezor.py L53) - I don't have a spare Trezor handy to test it. If you do - be my guest. My bet is, that it will work out of the box... because Encompass is based on a fork of Electrum 2.0... where the plugins where cloned un-modified.

The only* thing that Encompass did was to make generic the Electrum code that was generic to ALL coins - ...generic to ALL coins, and then group the "custom specs" of individual coins, into a directory called "/lib/chains". Making a port to Electrum super easy, for any coins - even for someone like me....

*= genius

.... and it is a system that has been working flawlessly for the last two weeks! May not have darksend or InstantX support yet... but... we will get there!

The instructions how to run an Electrum Server are in HOWTO.md file - in the Propulsion repo...

"If you have an existing installation of darkcoind and have not previously set txindex=1 you need t reindex the blockchain by running

$ darkcoind -reindex"

In addition, make sure that in your server config file, you are pointing to the correct directory holding the new UTXO, that the pruning number (10000) is set correctly.

Ensure that the Darkcoin daemon config file (a different file) has the txindex=1 in it.
It's not the first time i'm indexing transactoins, fyi. But thanks for pointing me to the docs :rolleyes:

If this keeps occuring, it might be a bug.

speaking of electrum, i'm at the bar with thomas the creator of electrum right now. any questions i should pass on?

It's not the first time i'm indexing transactoins, fyi. But thanks for pointing me to the docs :rolleyes:
If this keeps occuring, it might be a bug.

The eye rolls a nice touch. Shouldn't give you any issues after setting the transaction index to true and relaunching the daemon with a --reindex.

Note: Start building the Electrum databse after the daemon has been restarted a second time after the reindex finishes.

Would be great to see. Is DRK the only major coin without an electrum client?

No, there's a number of major coins that don't have working Electrum servers, much less clients. The number (whether talking major coins or otherwise) without working code far exceeds the number with. There are a number of Electrum ports that seem to have been abandoned for one reason or another.

We're working on pushing out some Electrum servers so that the coins can be integrated into Encompass. I've also identified a number of coins that appear to have working Electrum servers, its just a matter of finding the time to build & test the modules... 24 hour days just aren't enough.

We now have 4 distinct Electrum-DRK servers ready to be used. Anyone interested to try the "electrum-style" client would be most appreciated. Otherwise we will most likely shut down the servers in a few weeks, for lack of interest from the users.

Client is available under the name of Encompass here (Github). It is a python executable, like Electrum is.

Linux users:
1. cd to the downloaded directory
2. "sudo python setup.py install", to install the dependancies related to litecoin, darkcoin, etc
3. "./encompass"

Mac users will have to wait until executables are build for Encompass. If you are interested for such build, mention it on this forum.

We now have 4 distinct Electrum-DRK servers ready to be used. Anyone interested to try the "electrum-style" client would be most appreciated. Otherwise we will most likely shut down the servers in a few weeks, for lack of interest from the users.

Client is available under the name of Encompass here (Github). It is a python executable, like Electrum is.

Linux users:
2. "sudo python setup.py install", to install the dependancies related to litecoin, darkcoin, etc

Mac and Windows users will have to wait until executables are build for Encompass. If you are interested for such build, mention it on this forum.
I would love to try the Windows version when you have it. Thanks! :smile:

I would love to try the Windows version when you have it. Thanks! :smile:
I forgot that the Windows versions were available 4 days ago. Only the Mac version is outstanding.

Windows Encompass (Electrum-style) Multi-coins available here.

Download the setup, or .exe version - your choice (setup recommended).

It will first open under Mazacoin (the default). Then, go to Wallet tab, and select "Change Currency" - then select DRK.

Cautions using the Encompass client:

1. The client does not check for Proof of Work for Darkcoin, like Electrum usually do. The reason is simple, Darkcoin went to so many POW variations since its inception, that nobody has come up with a python implementation to check for it. However, the Encompass client connects to the Electrum-DRK servers, the servers do connect to the official Darkcoin daemons, the Darkcoin daemons do check for POW. Electrum added this feature as a belt over suspenders type of security, against would-be-evil Electrum-servers. If you are not sure, you can at least trust the server "electrum.darkcointalk.org" provided by Propulsion. Mine is "drk1.electrum-servers.us". I know that Vertoe was also planning to set one up, which is currently live in IRC, but for an unknown reason, it doesn't show on the list of servers within the client - maybe Vertoe could fix that when back from the Berlin pub crawl...

2. PLEASE provide a password when you first create your wallet (after the seed instructions). The same seed is used for all the coins in the wallet. It is a multi-coins wallet - if your wallet is un-encrypted - you risk loosing them all!

3. Most Electrum plugins are disabled at the moment. Encompass needs to do more tests on them to "enabled" them. That means Trezor is not supported yet (although the code is there, and DRK is supported by Trezor), same applies to many others plugings which are present in Electrum 2.0.

Linux users:
3. "./encompass"

Mac users will have to wait until executables are build for Encompass. If you are interested for such build, mention it on this forum.

Can't really get it to work with Darkcoin.

https://github.com/mazaclub/encompass/issues/34
https://github.com/mazaclub/encompass/issues/35
https://github.com/mazaclub/encompass/issues/36

Guess it needs some more work.

I would not discard this client so soon . The "electrum -style" client is the only choice for newcomers that can't download the whole blockchain.
Here, have some pics for your viewing pleasure:

fRCBzu7.png

dqj8t0A.png

I have also setup an electrum server on electrum-drk dot club. The leveldb with the 10000 pruning limit only takes ~456MB.
It is not public yet because the server is not able to connect to IRC:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/electrumserver/ircthread.py", line 121, in run
  c = client.server().connect(irc.freenode dot net, 6667, self.nick, self.password, ircname=self.ircname)
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/irc/functools.py", line 46, in wrapper
  return method(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/irc/client.py", line 500, in connect
  raise ServerConnectionError("Couldn't connect to socket: %s" % ex)
ServerConnectionError: Couldn't connect to socket: [Errno 110] Connection timed out

This is my config if it helps:

Code:
[server]
# username for running the daemon
username = myuser
# hostname. set it to a FQDN in order to be reached from outside
host = electrum-drk dot club
# ports
electrum_rpc_port = 8010
stratum_tcp_port = 50001
stratum_tcp_ssl_port = 50002
report_host = electrum-drk.club
report_stratum_tcp_port = 50001
report_stratum_tcp_ssl_port = 50002
password = ************
banner = Welcome to Electrum-DRK.club
banner_file = /etc/electrum-drk.banner
irc = yes
irc_nick = drkclub
ssl_certfile = /home/dmanager/cert/server.crt
ssl_keyfile = /home/dmanager/cert/server.key
logfile = /home/dmanager/electrum-drk.log
donation_address =
[leveldb]
# path to your database
path = /run/shm/e-db
# for each address, history will be pruned if it is longer than this limit
# can lower to 100 if performance issues are present
pruning_limit = 10000
[darkcoind]
darkcoind_host = localhost
darkcoind_port = 9998
# user and password from darkcoin.conf
darkcoind_user = myuser
darkcoind_password = ***********

duffman our ports are different. Are you using the latest version?
git reset --hard origin/master
Or just change the ports in the config file and try again.

[server]
# username for running the daemon
username = mn
hostname = electrum.darkcointalk.org
host = electrum.darkcointalk.org
# ports
electrum_rpc_port = 8010
stratum_tcp_port = 50010
stratum_tcp_ssl_port = 50002
report_host = electrum.darkcointalk.org
report_stratum_tcp_port = 50010
report_stratum_tcp_ssl_port = 50002
password = ........................................
banner = Welcome to Electrum-DRK!
banner_file = /etc/electrum-drk.banner
irc = yes
irc_nick = dct

Code:
~# git reset --hard origin/master
HEAD is now at 4522ecf Darkcoin: Corrected inconsistency with IRC naming convention

Yep. I have applied the changes, but no luck. I cannot find peers:
Code:
~# electrum-drk-server peers
[]

Code:
~# git reset --hard origin/master
HEAD is now at 4522ecf Darkcoin: Corrected inconsistency with IRC naming convention

Yep. I have applied the changes, but no luck. I cannot find peers:
Code:
~# electrum-drk-server peers
[]
Sorry, what is network part ? Is this line exists in your conf file?
type = Darkcoin_main

Sorry, what is network part ? Is this line exists in your conf file?
type = Darkcoin_main
Shouldn't need it in the config file. It's set by default when running run_electrum_drk_server.
Bash:
grep -n 'Darkcoin_main' run_electrum_drk_server
112:    config.set('network', 'type', 'Darkcoin_main')

Back