• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

PROVEN - client is corrupting wallets upon exit

Status
Not open for further replies.
camosoul First off, let me apologize for harming you intellectually with my MN guide....Please don't read it again to save yourself some headache. Now, as far as the current topic, I agree, dude, you got to get in touch with Evan: He can help you way more than any of us!

you have to understand that you are not giving us anything to work with.
I've said this myself. I know it's not much to go on. If I had more I'd give you more. If I had more, I'd probably figure it out my damn self!

arguing here is moot.
You're absolutely right! Never should have posted it.

stop being an ass.
I should know better than to think I'd find anything other than pumptrolls acting like complete assholes, then calling me the asshole...

I no longer care about finding the cause. I know damn well this is a persistent, if not rare and difficult to reproduce, issue. You can pretend it isn't so and chase your pumptroll distractions...

I'm going to recover my key if I can, and cold store it. All we, er, I really know is that this does happen. If that is to remain I instead of We, not my problem. I know about it, and I will take necessary precautions and not let people talk me into a false sense of security and make this mistake again.

Finding the cause will be someone else's problem if they care enough to do so or even acknowledge it. I wonder how many people this has happened to and they were told it was their own fault, not the client... I'm willing to bet that the way this exits, and the way the log file ends, it gives the appearance of being copied while qt is running, but, is in fact, not the case. There may be a lot more instances of this, the persons to whom it happens are simply browbeaten into silence/submisson by pumptrolls. It is possible for two different problems to have the same symptoms.

I did my part to advise, kill the messenger because it's bad news and might affect the price, as usual... I just want to recover DRKs at this point. Moving on...

No one attacked you because you have the issue. You got jumped on cuz you claim you have something proven when you do not.

Then you trying to victimise yourself and start calling everyone a pumptroll... seriously dude. If you here to just report is state so and not claim you have a proof it happens.
Happened to you once (or twice, it does not have to be related with your previous issue), I haven't seen anyone else reporting similar issues. It's only you and you make a huge fucking drama out of it. You wanna help? Help try to recreate it. Afraid of loosing DRK? Go on the test net.

There are ways, you just decide to ignore those...

Anyway am out, you're too unstable for my liking.

I for one, don't give a damn about the current price, as I believe in the usefulness of this technology long term. It is in all of our best interests, if this is a real problem happening multiple times, to deal with it head on! I believe all here would be in agreement with this...

No one attacked you because you have the issue. You got jumped on cuz you claim you have something proven when you do not.
I have proven it. No matter what proof I present, it will be ignored and "more" proven will be needed...

If you here to just report is state so and not claim you have a proof it happens.
I have proven it. No matter what proof I present, it will be ignored and "more" proven will be needed...

Anyway am out, you're too unstable for my liking.
I left BCT because I am the only stable, rational adult I could find there. Seems I'm finding a theme...

Pretend to be a victim while accusing me of playing that role... Whatever, same old repeat... You can attack, but I am no victim. I win. I ALWAYS win. Is that the victim role? Hm?

DRK forum is not immune to internet forum assholery... Surprising? Not to me...

Thanks for the DB dump tip coinguns. If It works, I'll send you a piece of it.

Dump is in hexdeci slash delimieted I think... Still not human readable... working... Lots of key entries. Just can't read them. It's probably in here.

Dude, even if you don't want to send your "lack of info" to eduffield, I will tag him so he sees it. Maybe it's something he's seen before in an earlier version and he thought he dealt with it, who knows? It doesn't hurt to ask....

Dump is in hexdeci slash delimieted I think... Still not human readable... working... Lots of key entries. Just can't read them. It's probably in here.
Try pywallet
btct thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0
github https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet
if it's not encrypted
Code:
python pywallet.py --datadir=/home/YourUserName/.darkcoin/ --dumpwallet --otherversion=76 > wallet.txt
or add
Code:
--passphrase=PASSPHRASE
also if it is
This should give you human-readable json

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT VERSION - DOUBLE CHECK WITH THE ONE IN THE THREAD - THERE IS A SCAM VERSION OF THAT SCRIPT ON SIMILAR LOOKING GITHUB ACCOUNT jj-jackjack <--scam

Try pywallet
I was already on that route when I stopped. Noticed the jj fork...

When I went to install the pywallet deps, apt-get wanted to uninstall everything berkleydb related... So, yeah, I stopped there...

I encrypt my entire drive, so, encrypting the wallet seems redundant and adds difficulty in such fiddling. At least this much I'm prepared for, lols.

I was already on that route when I stopped. Noticed the jj fork...

When I went to install the pywallet deps, apt-get wanted to uninstall everything berkleydb related... So, yeah, I stopped there...

I encrypt my entire drive, so, encrypting the wallet seems redundant and adds difficulty in such fiddling. At least this much I'm prepared for, lols.
you can try it in separate VBox

you can try it in separate VBox
Yep. Did that. It tells me the file is corrupt and it won't do anything with it. lols...
fail said:
ERROR:root:Couldn't open wallet.dat/main. Try quitting Bitcoin and running this again.
It's pretending that the file is open... Which adds credence to my theory that something is going wrong with the wallet.dat dump when the client fails out of RAM... Looks like a copy-while-qt-is-running, but that is absolutely not true.

I left BCT because I am the only stable, rational adult I could find there. Seems I'm finding a theme...

Did it ever come to your mind that this issue could arise from yourself and your cockiness rather than yourself being the only rational adult?

If you think here is the same, BCT still has open arms to welcome you back :)

If you want to act like the rational adult you pretend to be, ask questions and get answers, then we will all get along in here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back