• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

WTF: Using a PrivateSend transaction with 10 or more inputs can damage your privacy

zelenskyi83

Hello everyone.

"This transaction will use up 328 logins.
Warning: Using a PrivateSend transaction with 10 or more inputs can damage your privacy and is therefore not recommended."

What is it and how to decide - i.e. is it safe to transfer money with us? And then the mailed money does not work, and it’s nowhere to transfer - because up to 10 entries only on extremely scanty volumes of transactions.

Thanks.

Hello everyone.

"This transaction will use up 328 logins.
Warning: Using a PrivateSend transaction with 10 or more inputs can damage your privacy and is therefore not recommended."

What is it and how to decide - i.e. is it safe to transfer money with us? And then the mailed money does not work, and it’s nowhere to transfer - because up to 10 entries only on extremely scanty volumes of transactions.

Thanks.

The transaction will still go thru fine, you are just compromising some of your privacy with that many inputs, that's all. If absolutely privacy
isn't mission critical, go ahead and just send the payment, if not, look at the documentation on using coin control, get started with the "DOCS"
tab at the top of this forum.

@strophy

Is the warning 'Using a PrivateSend transaction with 10 or more inputs can damage your privacy and is therefore not recommended.' and the recommended solution
(i assume users will need to deselect some input amounts?) adequately explained in the Docs ?
I have a hard time seeing this mentioned in the docs at all.

Link : https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/wallets/dashcore/privatesend-instantsend.html

It is also not mentioned in the Dash Core wallet itself under Help - PrivateSend information.

Last edited:
@qwizzie thanks for the heads up - I don't recall documenting this, but I'm very interested to add this information to the docs. Is there a way to reliably reproduce this error? Not that I doubt it, but I want to investigate the different ways the app could end up in this state, ask the team about the specific resulting risk to privacy, and either update the message in the app or explain the behaviour and possible course for action better in the documentation.

@qwizzie thanks for the heads up - I don't recall documenting this, but I'm very interested to add this information to the docs. Is there a way to reliably reproduce this error? Not that I doubt it, but I want to investigate the different ways the app could end up in this state, ask the team about the specific resulting risk to privacy, and either update the message in the app or explain the behaviour and possible course for action better in the documentation.

I thought OP was using a Dash Core wallet, you suspect OP is using a (mobile wallet) app ?

Nope, I am referring to the Dash Core wallet as an "app". ;)

It happens to me quite often, all the larger denominations get used up and the smaller ones gather. The easy fix is to sweep up what's left, forward it to yourself and mix it again. I'd been wondering if it could be re-worked to record how many times each denomination gets used and mix more/less of the most/least used denominations next time funds are mixed.

I am using Dash Core QT

At the moment I am making the maximum possible amount to send Private Send, where the number of inputs is less than 10. And so in a circle. On the last shipment with all the necessary mixed amount (not so significant) it took me a significant number of transactions (more than a dozen). On average, after every 5 transactions, the amount that can be sent with less than 10 inputs is significantly reduced. It also decreases immediately after the first 1-2 transactions. But, I think, everyone knows that. Just said, since there is some discussion going on here.

I'm sorry for my google translate english ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/dashpay/comments/gpnyce/yet_another_private_send_warning_01_dash_11_inputs/

This is still very much an issue.
We have a privatesend alert now that is not defined in any docs and creates confusion among users.

I am not even sure what we want new and inexperienced users (who are trying to mix and privatesend something) to do with this alert.
Do we want them to activate coin control and bundle some input amounts and privatesend those to themselves ? Do we want them to do something else ?

Last edited:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dashpay/comments/gpnyce/yet_another_private_send_warning_01_dash_11_inputs/

This is still very much an issue.
We have a privatesend alert now that is not defined in any docs and creates confusion among users.

I am not even sure what we want new and inexperienced users (who are trying to mix and privatesend something) to do with this alert.
Do we want them to activate coin control and bundle some input amounts and privatesend those to themselves ? Do we want them to do something else ?
this has been there for awhile
As it was mentioned i think it could just be reworded to say something better, like to use the highest level of privacy you should understand coin control and input selections to use less than 10 inputs to avoid cluster identification techniques.

Back