• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to run on local machine masternode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatrix Brookes

Hi, nice to meet you guys. I'm quite new to this forum and I want to know how to run on local machine masternode. Can everyone help me? Thanks in advance

Hi, nice to meet you guys. I'm quite new to this forum and I want to know how to run on local machine masternode. Can everyone help me? Thanks in advance
Not sure why you'd want to do such a thing, but you'd need a static IPv4 address which you could assign to it. Residential ISPs tend to charge too much for this because they're a-holes.

You'd probably want to get a virtual machine with a static IP, even if all you did with it was route port 9999 traffic to your local.

I'd use something like OnionCat along with iptables/ufw for traffic routing. Not really for the "hidden" aspects of Tor, but because it results in a static IP setup. Makes things easy.

The only advantage I can see in this would be that you could rent a super cheap, low-resource virtual machine and use it as nothing but a router for the IP that comes with it. Your more poweerful, local MN hardware (say, a NanoPi M4v2) would actually be owned, and you wouldn't be paying rent on a heavier virtual machine...

I don't see this being useful in today's world, but it might make sense for MasterNodes of the future. If there are any...

Drawbacks:
Minor latency of using Tor. OncionCat does a really good job of transparent TCP keepalive, so you get that in the tradeoff.
Cheap VMs tend not to include much bandwidth in their "plan." Because of this, it might end up being a complete waste of time.

Last edited:
The requirement for a static IP will be your biggest problem here. Otherwise sure, you can run a masternode on your local machine, with the caveats that masternodes cannot hold any wallet balances and have uptime requirements which mean you will not be able to switch your machine off. As mentioned above, a Raspberry Pi could work, otherwise a VPS is your best bet. I recommend you try all this on testnet first.

https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/understanding.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back