• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DASH wallet error - any help??

aidan heading

Hi i went to open my dash wallet and get the following error message

"error opening block database

Do you want to rebuild the block data base now?"

Options are OK or abort. If I abort then the wallet will not open.

Does anyone know what this error is and is it safe to 'rebuild the block data base?

thanks, Aidan.

Sure, go ahead, backup your wallet.dat first, wallet backup should be a routine anyway.

hi, O opened a dash core wallet 16 months ago and deposited £100 of dash, my laptop froze 3 months ago so i wiped it and rebooted and now its fine, as a result i recently downloaded or opened a new dash core 64 wallet and lo and behold there is zero credit and the wallet has been saying for 3 days now <SYNC> and apparantly no signal link to dash blockchain. i still have an original password written down when i opened account. Am I screwed and do i just have to right this money off as a dodgy investment?

paul tweedley

Check your Dash address here : https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/
If your Dash address still have any Dash, it will show in that block explorer.

If it shows any Dash then you most likely need to do a re-index of your wallet or use a backup.

Reindex

* download latest Dash Core Wallet version from here : https://www.dash.org/downloads/
* make sure you start your Dash Core Wallet with -reindex

Backup

If your wallet still not have any Dash after the re-index, then you may need to revert back to a backup, which you hopefully saved separate on an USB stick ?

If you just kept everything on your laptop, which then froze and got wiped .. you will indeed have a problem. And i'm not sure how to solve that.
Maybe you made some system-wide backup of your laptop, that perhaps also contains your old wallet.dat file ? The password is not enough, you need the actual wallet.dat file as well.

Dash does have automatic backups that are kept in your installation directory, but if your whole laptop has been wiped, then i assume that will be erased as well.

Last edited:
a dodgy investment?
i'm not sure how to solve that.
@qwizzie is being snowflake-level charitable by saying he doesn't know how to fix that. The un-sugar-coated truth is that you had many opportunities to prevent this, and chose not to at every turn.

He doesn't know how to fix this, because there's no such thing. It's not fixable. No one can save you from the series of very ridiculous and irresponsible things you did.

None of this is DASH's fault. None of this can be "fixed." None of this makes DASH a "dodgy investment."

The root problem here is you, and a clear refusal to accept responsibility, or any effort to learn from your mistakes. Of which you made many... You speak as if you've never touched any piece of technology before. It makes me think this story, like so many similar that land on these forums, is made-up and never actually happened. I find it unbelievable that someone can be this dumb, then follow it up with such arrogance as blaming DASH as "a dodgy investment." I'm simply not able to accept it. No one with an IQ above 60 would do such a thing. It has to be a fake story authored by a troll. I just can't believe something so exceptionally absurd.

If you buy a new Toyota and immediately drive it off a cliff; is Toyota a dodgy company? No. That's ridiculous.

If your computer is kept in such a sad state of disrepair that it resembles a dumpster fire, and then you put your money into that dumpster fire... Never made a backup copy of your privkeys... Well, yeah, it's gone. What did you expect?

And to take a more specific point, just because your computer "froze" (whatever that means) does not mean the data on the drive was gone. It is very probable that you could have plugged the drive into pretty much any other computer on Earth and copied your privkeys out of it. But, you didn't do that. You chose to delete everything. There's a 99.999% chance that this is what caused your problems; something you did yourself without thinking or even trying to use common-sense... The fact that you were able to wipe the drive and re-install an OS is proof that there was no physical damage to the drive. It's almost a guarantee that your privkeys were still on it at the time you decided to destroy it. You said this yourself...

There is a price to be paid for being so exceptionally irresponsible. Trying to cast off the blame for your actions on DASH by calling it "a dodgy investment" only compounds it further. DASH is money. It's not a get-rich-quick ponzi/tulip game. When you set your money on fire, don't act surprised when it's gone.
i'm not sure how to solve that.
A soft-handed approach to ridiculous behavior only encourages more ridiculous behavior.

Reality is not always nice. Grow up and take some responsibility for yourself, or it's just going to get worse. Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

Last edited:
Back