• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Debug nonsense

lord2jays

Hello All,

I hope someone can help with this.

I have been DREADING upgrading to v13.0 since something always goes wrong or f's up in some way and I have to delve into anti virus, changing folders, writing code etc etc etc.

Lo and behold! On opening the last 12.? release, the synching had stopped again so I thought it time to upgrade to 13.0 since this usually fixes the problem eventually.

Nevermind. 13.0 get's installed, everything looks peachy, upon trying to open the QT, it simply shuts down after loading <1% of the blocks. It tells me to check the 'debug log'.

I check it and it seems this is the problem:
2019-04-14 11:21:43 LoadBlockIndexDB: last block file = 62
2019-04-14 11:21:43 LoadBlockIndexDB: last block file info: CBlockFileInfo(blocks=14740, size=91246561, heights=1024289...1039511, time=2019-02-20...2019-03-24)
2019-04-14 11:21:43 Checking all blk files are present...
2019-04-14 11:21:43 LoadBlockIndexDB: transaction index enabled
2019-04-14 11:21:43 LoadBlockIndexDB: address index disabled
2019-04-14 11:21:43 LoadBlockIndexDB: timestamp index disabled
2019-04-14 11:21:43 LoadBlockIndexDB: spent index disabled
2019-04-14 11:21:44 LoadBlockIndexDB: hashBestChain=00000000004964a0de40a0093d8e53fe3c6a146210cad8f6ab2fad8e721b644b height=1039511 date=2019-03-24 01:06:44 progress=0.986327
2019-04-14 11:21:44 init message: Verifying blocks...
2019-04-14 11:21:44 Verifying last 6 blocks at level 3
2019-04-14 11:21:44 [0%]...*** Found EvoDB inconsistency, you must reindex to continue
2019-04-14 11:21:46 Shutdown requested. Exiting.
2019-04-14 11:21:46 scheduler thread interrupt
2019-04-14 11:21:46 PrepareShutdown: In progress...
2019-04-14 11:21:46 Shutdown: done

OK, so I have to 'reindex' to continue???? I tried opening the Dash-d window and again, it comes up with an error and shuts down.

So, once again, I am left without access to my funds, an unworking version of Dash core, a load of space used and random files put everywhere on my computer.

I like Dash as a project and idea but FFS, I am fairly computer literate (no programmer by any means) but the CONSTANT BS having to do what should be the most basic things with Dash are becoming a massive headache.

Can somebody PLEASE PLEASE let me know what the hell I should do now? Is there a solution available other than getting my wallet.dat and transferring it to an Electrum wallet? For their part, I have never had a problem with electrum, only the QT core wallets/application.

Thanks in advance all the good people of the forum!

You had a significant window during which you could have upgraded without reindexing, however DIP3 is now active and you will need to take an extra step and reindex at this point. Simply start Dash with the --reindex argument. e.g. Under Windows, change your shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files\DashCore\dash-qt.exe" --reindex

Or if above fails --> C:\Program Files\DashCore\dash-qt.exe" -reindex

(i cant remember ever putting -- before reindex in a windows shortcut, i normally just use -reindex. Maybe they both work..)

Just remember to remove the reindex command from your shortcut once you are done reindexing, or your next wallet start will again be an reindex.

Last edited:
You had a significant window during which you could have upgraded without reindexing, however DIP3 is now active and you will need to take an extra step and reindex at this point. Simply start Dash with the --reindex argument. e.g. Under Windows, change your shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files\DashCore\dash-qt.exe" --reindex
Cheers Atrophy, much appreciated.
I will say though that if a PayPal or bank account told anyone to 'simply reindex' anything or suggested that they lost access to their funds because they failed during a 'significant window' to upgrade then they wouldn't be in business very long.
One can sell the decentralised angle initially but if an average punter has more difficulty with Evolution than say eBay, online banking or PayPal, it will be a colossal failure.
Anyway, thanks again, I'll rename the folder and reload.
Peace.

Haha, no worries, it's not the first time spellcheck has done that to me! In all fairness, Dash Core is designed as an enterprise backend tool. Most of the development that goes into dashd is for masternodes and runs at the protocol level - a full wallet is not a consumer-oriented product. Wallets like Electrum and the mobile clients offer the user-friendly experience you are looking for, plus of course the large number of third party wallets and the upcoming Evolution wallets.

Haha, no worries, it's not the first time spellcheck has done that to me! In all fairness, Dash Core is designed as an enterprise backend tool. Most of the development that goes into dashd is for masternodes and runs at the protocol level - a full wallet is not a consumer-oriented product. Wallets like Electrum and the mobile clients offer the user-friendly experience you are looking for, plus of course the large number of third party wallets and the upcoming Evolution wallets.
Ah! The 'upcoming Evolution wallets', I'm really apprehensive about those, what with all the kerfuffle about unique names.
I do like the QT wallet fwiw, and have a slice of a masternode. Additionally, I am just on the cusp of launching a business which accepts Dash for actual physical products! *Fanfare*
So, although I am limited in my computer knowledge, I am no newbie, which is why if I experience difficulties with wallets, I know it's levels beyond grandma.
I just wonder sometimes if the core team realise that using Evolution must be as easy as drag+drop, double click, then it just works. Every time, no errors. Or else it just won't be used.
I do trust Dash to robustly test and roll out such a revolutionary app, and they have had my monetary investment/endorsement for years now and continue to do so.
Peace and thanks again for taking the time.

Thanks for the thoughts! I have seen multiple videos of the eagerly awaited "upcoming Evolution wallets" and I from what I can tell, the user experience is constantly given primary consideration. Writing user stories is a major component of Agile development, so I am optimistic that this is the correct approach to delivering a product that is truly as easy to use as possible. Certainly a lot easier than Dash Core ;)

Back