• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why is no-one talking about the horrible MN implementation in v13.

Heera

Can someone please explain how it is a good idea to list all the IPs of the Masternodes publicly? As I understand, if you can't get them back online within 60 minutes, then you miss out on your reward for a week. This new implementation is a joke. It's gifting a DDoS strategy to bad actors. These days you can launch one of these attacks for peanuts. Imagine the incentive when the price of DASH is back over $500 or more.

It's not new.

There has always been a list of IPs.

Have you not been to dashninja.pl?

Always been this way.

All DIP3 does is make the list deterministic, which has all kinds of positive effects,and no negatives that I can think of. If I could, you can be sure I would be getting called names by all the SJW clueless jerks on this forum for pointing it out those negatives, loudly...

DASH did suffer a DDoS a while back, and proved to be quite resilient in spite of most of the MNOs of the time have not taken any steps to harden their servers. They learned, sorta... MNs are now tougher than ever. DDoS isn't even worth trying at this point, and a fair number of MNOs are still clueless...

MNs aren't mere "full nodes." they do a lot more. While it does make them more tempting targets, it also makes them more resilient targets. In the DDoS event I mentioned above, about 1/3 of the network was taken out...

It had no noticeable impact to the end user.

While I agree that It'd be nice to disconnect the MNs fro the IPs, I'm not sure if there's a viable way to do that. Counter DDoS methods generally require the same data.

In spite of all the mental masturbation on the topic, the best weapon discovered so far is good old-fashioned iptables-fu. And even when this is completely failed, and 1.3 of the network goes offline; nobody noticed except the MNOs who ended up not getting paid, and justly so , for not having good iptables-fu.

All it did was prove that Proof of Service works exactly as intended.

While your argument seems to make sense in theory, we've already proven in real-world practice that the MN network is damned near bulletproof, and by far, the most secure and reliable distributed system thus far conceived by man.

I just wish they would DO SOMETHING WITH IT instead of let it rot on the vine for several years...

Last edited:
Can someone please explain how it is a good idea to list all the IPs of the Masternodes publicly? As I understand, if you can't get them back online within 60 minutes, then you miss out on your reward for a week. This new implementation is a joke. It's gifting a DDoS strategy to bad actors. These days you can launch one of these attacks for peanuts. Imagine the incentive when the price of DASH is back over $500 or more.

u spammed us on reddit and all over with this already
the question has been answered again and again
MN IP's were always public
check "your" reddit thread for all other (more detailed answers):
https://www.reddit.com/r/dashpay/comments/ala459/why_is_noone_talking_about_the_horrible_mn/

I'm the first to call out a troll, but I'm not so sure this guy is trolling.

Since most of Crypto is a bunch of base-level clones, most people get lulled into the notion that all cryptos are fundamentally the same.

Hash algo, block rate, insert hype here... That's all they know.

Most of what DASH is, is a huge improvement upon that, and has no corollary outside DASH. It's like explaining a rainbow to a blind man. They don't even know the concepts DASH has invented exist, much less how any of it works.

They come to it with a grossly oversimplified perspective that makes it nearly impossible to relate.

It's easier to explain what DASH is to a compete noob, and then point out the great many things that every other cryptocurrency lacks and is incapable of doing.

This guy is just a typical cryptotard conditioned to a much smaller view of crypto than what DASH is. He can't get his head around it, so he views everything outside of his scope of understanding as a flaw...

This is precisely the mode of operation that governments are using to crush DASH development, too... Demand the slamming of revolving doors because the law says you're required to taste the number purple...

Back