• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Dash Electrum support and development

Will you fund this? Please, only MNO

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

akhavr

Update 2018.12.06. Proposal is live at https://www.dashcentral.org/p/DashElectrumDec2018

Overview:

Electrum is probably the most popular open-source SPV wallet for bitcoin. Early 2017 I've picked up maintenance and support for DASH Electrum. Since then, I've assembled a small team of three developers. This is a proposal to fund the continuing development and support for Dash Electrum.

Note: continuing funding now is critical, since it may influence release of changes, required to support Dash Core 0.13.

Scope and deliverables:
Since last proposal, we've

Execution and Schedule:
Work already performed or in progress. Deliverables are released publicly as soon as they are ready.

Roadmap:

We are positioning Dash Electrum as the default front-end for dash ecosystem, with focus on privacy by default.

Our current roadmap is the following:
  • Dash Core 0.13 release
  • submission of Android version to Google Play and FDroid
  • instantsend support
  • coding in the new Bluetooth hardware wallet support, including mobile support (with cooperation with HIDEEZ)
  • privatesend support
  • applets/plugins:
    • masternode monitoring
    • budget proposals monitoring (incl. discussions)
    • pay for fiat services
    • point of sales
    • shared masternodes
  • keep up with the upstream development
About me:
I'm active software developer for over 25 years and for last 15 years I develop mainly in Python. I'm in DASH since late 2014 (you can track my posts on the forum). I package dash electrum for more a year now.

Amount requested:
(Updated 2018.12.06) This time we will request 3-month funding that would cover our burn rate + deficit + at current exchange rate which is $71.8USD/Dash at the moment of this post.

Budget calculation:
  • deficit at the Dec 2st: 197.94DASH
  • burn rate: 69.58DASH for 3 month = 208.74DASH (updated 2018.12.06)
  • proposal submission fee: 5DASH
Total: 411.68DASH over 3 month or 137.22DASH per month (updated 2018.12.06)

To provide transparency, funds would be directed to a separate wallet, as with previous proposal.

In case of DASH appreciation, any leftover funds would be spent to extend the duration of the project. In case of DASH depreciation, we will go into a deficit mode again and will submit a new proposal after the end of this 3month period.

Once again, continuing funding now is critical, since it may influence release of changes, required to support Dash Core 0.13.

More info:

Last edited:
I'll vote yes, but it's going to be a very tight budget. Privatesend from a lightweight client is a major step forward.

I've got feedback that we ask for too much in this proposal and we have to cut back. I've discussed with the team and we can go part-time, cutting the budget in half and slowing down twice.

Please, comment here if we should do this to save funds?

Like/Agree - cut the budget, slow down

Dislike/Disagree - keep the budget, go full speed

I'm not voting to hand over half a masternode. Forget the dollar value, you work for dash because you believe in dash, not dollars.

I don't want masternode services / features in Electrum, such things need to their own dedicated app.

I'm not voting to hand over half a masternode. Forget the dollar value, you work for dash because you believe in dash, not dollars.

I do. That's why I finance the project deficit out of my pocket. But people have to pay their bills in dollars, that's why if we want the team to continue to work on the project, we have to stick to the budget.

To save funds from Dec 1st Dash Electrum team moves to part time work (50% time) on the project, cutting budgeting requirements in half.

We hope that will reassure MNO our commitment for Dash Electrum maintenance and allow us to continue to work on the project.

The top post of this pre-proposal thread will be updated soon.

I love Dash Electrum. It is the best wallet for new users because it shows the balance of each address in a way that is easy to understand.

Would it be possible to release Electrum for 32 bit windows? There are MANY users in Venezuela that must choose between JAXX and Core because they do not own 64 bit OS.
Thanks!

Would it be possible to release Electrum for 32 bit windows? There are MANY users in Venezuela that must choose between JAXX and Core because they do not own 64 bit OS.

I will check what's possible. There were issues with 32 bit installer on windows, unfortunately.

I would love to be a tester for the 32 bit release. I wonder if I can make a 32 bit windows OS on a VM. Perhaps I don't even need to do that. Or do I?

Ok, I see that the 32 bit version installs and works on a 64 bit OS. It also installs the TOR proxy as a combo. I reinstalled the 64 bit version, and it does not install TOR. So, why is Tor part of the 32 bit version. Not sure.

But... hey - if we can get a 32 bit installer as part of this project I LOVE IT!!! :D;):)

Can I ask people with 32 bit OS to install this version? Will the 32 bit version be offered regularly in future releases?

As ec1warc1 asked, I would also like to know if the 32 bit version be offered regularly in future releases? Overall, a valuable proposal for our community.

Continuing a thread begun on Dashcentral...

Still synchronizing. I agree that the problem could well be slow or missing servers. FYI, I am currently seeing three: drk.p2pay.com, electrum.dash.siampm.com, and electrum.leblancnet.us. Perhaps when you get a chance, you might post a list of known servers. No hurry. I will continue to support the project regardless. Keep up the good work.

Back