• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: Dash & AirGap, the secure mobile wallet system

Would you fund this proposal?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Unsure, would need more information.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pascuin

hero-btcforum-1024x649.png

1. We are building a secure mobile wallet system called AirGap

AirGap is a wallet solution, allowing the secure generation and storage of secrets on a mobile phone with an approach of two mobile apps. Depending on the security needed these apps can be installed on separate devices or on the same device.

To get the highest security, the AirGap Vault application is installed on a dedicated or old smartphone, which will never be connected to any network again. With the enhanced entropy concept that adds video, audio, accelerator and touch data to the entropy seed alongside the device’s pre-shipped secure random generator it is possible to generate a cryptographically secure seed used for the secret generation on that very same device. This secret never leaves the device it was generated on. The private key is saved in the secure enclave of the mobile device and needs multi-step biometric authentication every time it is accessed to perform cryptographic primitives.

AirGap Wallet on the other hand will be installed on a user’s everyday phone. With this app, users can manage their portfolio of wallets and their valuations. AirGap Wallet deals only with publicly available information as opposed to AirGap Vault, which handles the private key.

¬ How does a transaction work? Detailed step by step guide.

1. Users can create a new transaction with an address, amount and a fee in AirGap Wallet.
2. A QR code with this transaction is generated.
3. This QR code is scanned with AirGap Vault, ensuring one-way communication only with QR codes.
4. To sign the transaction the secure enclave is accessed with biometric authentication.
5. The signed transaction is displayed in a QR code.
6. The QR code is scanned by AirGap Wallet and broadcasted to the blockchain.

¬ What if I want to manage smaller amounts?

AirGap Vault and AirGap Wallet can also be installed on the same device. In this case, the communication between the two apps works with app switching through an URL scheme. This allows the two apps to be entirely encapsulated, which is crucial: For example, AirGap Vault does not have any network permissions and thus is unable to send information out over the network, guaranteed by the operating systems sandboxing.

¬ Which coins and token do you support?

Currently we support Ethereum, Bitcoin and the Aeternity (AE) ERC20 Token. We plan to extend this list in the future. These are all managed by the same private key/mnemonic secret.

2. What does this mean for Dash?

Loss of crypto funds happens on a daily basis, due to software related error but also due to missing education. A sensible approach for private key handling is essential, this is also true for any Dash user. We see AirGap as the solution, an approach to a mobile wallet with the right security without neglecting usability. With the Dash integration into AirGap every user has the possibility to securely store private keys related to his Dash funds.

We also see a potential in markets like Venezuela, where crypto and especially Dash is booming. Transactions in Venezuela happen mostly over mobile wallets some of them without the necessary security in place. For private key storage people in other countries turn to hardware wallets which come at a premium price. With the approach of AirGap an up-cycled smartphone can become that hardware wallet.

With the funds allocated by Dash we aim to further improve the AirGap Vault & AirGap Wallet mobile apps in terms of security as well as usability.

3. Who are we? The project team
TeamPicture-1024x351.jpg

4. Our Vision, milestones & deliverables

Milestone 0: Improvements, bug fixing & further reviews of the initial features of AirGap
Milestone 1: Familiarization with the Dash Blockchain & technical feasibility study. (2-3 weeks)
Milestone 2: Requirements engineering with involved parties. (2 weeks)
Milestone 3: Software development of Dash integration (8 weeks)
Milestone 4: Testing and iterative bug fixing of Dash integration (4 weeks)
Milestone 5: Documentation and educational material for Dash integration announcement (2 weeks)
Milestone 6: Dash & AirGap education & general private key security education in collaboration with local Dash groups

5. What do we need to make this happen?

The costs for the Dash Blockchain integration and overall educational efforts come up to 1071 Dash.

The estimated duration of the grant is four months.

Requirements Engineering: 10%
Software Development: 55%
Documentation: 5%
Testing: 10%
Education: 15%
Awareness – Organizing Meetups & Conferences: 5%

6. Progress to date
  • AirGap Wallet & AirGap Vault Android versions released, iOS versions currently in review
  • Ethereum, Aeternity & Bitcoin integration
  • Bitcoin HD wallet support
  • AirGap Vault Linux distribution
Please let us know if you have any questions concerning the proposal or AirGap.

[email protected] | Website | Telegram | Twitter | Medium | GitHub

Let's assume for a moment that your idea is technically brilliant and very desirable for the Dash ecosystem. Best thing since sliced bread.

At the moment, the entire crypto market, including Dash, has experienced an approximate 90% correction. To put it plainly, at the moment, we can pay our developers, and maybe one or two other critical projects like the Venezuela effort and/or the Zimbabwe project and/or DashNexus and/or Dash Watch and/or Dash Force News. There just is not money to take on any big projects at the moment. We're going to struggle to even pay for the essentials. I would recommend that you not submit a proposal at this time due to the very high likelihood that it will not pass.

When the market recovers, in 3 months or 6 months or a year, we should have this conversation again.

Thank you very much for your feedback, didn't realize that it is that tight at the moment. Just out of curiosity, maybe you can answer that, I saw on the Dash Vote tracker, that there are 6 days left for voting but "only" 91.8% of funds and not 100%. If the funding is an issue at the moment why are there not 100% requested.

The treasury is 134% requested (8267 Dash out of 6176 available) but 91.8% allocated - as we approach the voting deadline it's almost guaranteed it will be 100%+ allocated (I say almost but really it is guaranteed).

It seems like a good project with the treasury at the moment very unlikely to be funded.

Could you tell me if Ethereum / Bitcoin / Aeternity paid for your integration and if so how much?

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out, will take a closer look at this period. Are you the same opinion as the other responses, that even in the next period this would not get funded but would be recognised if there is an upwards trend in the Dash price?

The Ethereum and Bitcoin integrations were self-funded, but we're looking there also for additional ressources so we can improve these implementations, Aeternity supported us from the start and funded their integration with around the similar amount we would request from the Dash treasury.

It's pretty hard to say, but to provide some more insight:

Let's say next cycle there is a budget of 6176 Dash again
Core are currently requesting around 60% of the budget to build up a buffer as well as cover their expenses.
We're now at 2470 Dash
Now let's take away the multi-month proposals (some of which may not get funded)
Kuva, 545 Dash per month for 3 months
1925 Dash
Dash Force, 195 monthly for 4 months
1730 Dash
Dash Active Agents, 46 per month for 5 months
1684 Dash
Dash Medellin, 59 per month for 6 months
1625 Dash
Dash Brazil, 41 per month for 6 months
1584 Dash
Dash Text, 36 per month for 2 months
1548 Dash
D-A-CH Embassy, 408 per month for 3 months
1140 Dash
Dash Help, 32 Dash per month for 2 months
1108 Dash
Dash Nation , 21 Dash per month for 2 months
1087 Dash
Dash Genomics, 30 Dash per month for 2 months
1057 Dash

That's without factoring in proposals asking for gap funding to cover the lower Dash price than when they first made their proposal as well as new proposals that support existing infrastructure, or new proposals from existing trusted proposers.

I think it's pretty safe to say that most MNOs are focused on services that offer tangible return to the network, rather than something which whilst nice to have, doesn't provide any measure of traction.

This graph from DashWatch has a lot of useful information on it which will help you refine your proposal:
https://i.imgur.com/c4JPHWT.jpg

I would recommend investing time into answering all of the common issues they identify.

Finally, at some point (potentially within the next 4-6 months) Dash Ventures will be released, which will be an entity that allows you to award equity to the DAO, I'd consider that as an option.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed explanation, would you say that if there is a price correction you see potential for the Dash integration being funded?

Yeah, personally I see potential. The more of the following you meet the more likely it is I would say:

- Use of escrow and split it monthly with milestones (essential really)
- Offering of equity to the DAO via Dash Ventures when that is launched
- Arrange partnerships with existing parts of the ecosystem (Venezuela, Africa, etc) as well as support from them.
- You have some user traction already (Bitcoin/Eth/Aeternity) evidenced

Obviously you don't want to invest a lot of time working on this if there is zero chance of funding, so I would say maybe hold off and hopefully we'll get a bull-run before long that might justify projects like this.

Just my opinion though - lots out there far more informed than me!

Back